Author Topic: Urban Neighborhoods: Chicago's Lakeview  (Read 1357 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Neighborhoods: Chicago's Lakeview
« on: July 16, 2012, 07:41:43 AM »
Urban Neighborhoods: Chicago's Lakeview

With 94,368 residents (2010 Census) living within a 3.16 square mile areas, Lakeview is the second largest neighborhood of Chicago's community areas by population and highest by density.  However, Lakeview is a neighborhood that is not dominated by skyscrapers.  Instead it is a vibrant pedestrian-scaled urban community designed for walkability.  While some of Jacksonville's urban neighborhoods struggle with embracing growth and redevelopment, Lakeview can provide us with a glimpse into what type of multimodal solutions and land use strategies are useful in accommodating a true vibrant and walkable environment.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-jul-urban-neighborhoods-chicagos-lakeview

simms3

• Time has come
Re: Urban Neighborhoods: Chicago's Lakeview
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 08:59:17 AM »
Have a fair amount of friends who live in Lakeview.  Was just up there a couple weeks ago as a matter of fact.  Great neighborhood and Halsted is a lot of fun.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Lakeview's environment proves that it is possible for an urban neighborhood to integrate commercial and residential uses to a level that hasn't existed in Jacksonville since the mid-20th century.  As we continue to find solutions for our own perceived problems, it is important to understand and embrace the fact that there is nothing new under the sun.  It is to our benefit to properly explore, promote, and implement land use and mobility strategies that balance all modes of transportation.  Let's just hope this happens before we permanently damage the character of our community by forcing suburban minded regulations in neighborhoods where they are completely out of scale and character with the historical urban context.

100% agree.  I have not covered every square inch of this country, but I have covered quite a lot.  Lakeview is, in my strongest of opinions, a place that a neighborhood like Avondale can learn from as it looks for ways to continue to prosper in a contextually sensitive way. 

JFman00

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 12:50:32 PM »
Spent a summer living on Lakeshore Drive in E. Lakeview. It's the yardstick by which I measure other neighborhoods. Walkable, ample transit, an abundance of places to eat and drink, 24 miles of publicly accessible lakefront as a backyard. My favorite part was the stress-free living of being able to take the purple line to classes at Northwestern.

JaxDiablo

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 01:10:17 PM »
Lakeview is the epitome of what a neighborhood should be.  I loved it when I lived in the area.  You were able to get just about anywhere in the city by hopping on the train.

I miss it so damn much, if I wasn't underwater on my home I'd have sold it and gone back north in a heartbeat years ago.
"I only take a drink on two occasions: when I'm thirsty and when I'm not." - Brendan Behan

finehoe

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:14:44 PM »
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 02:21:18 PM by finehoe »