Author Topic: Clean Up of Annie Lytle School Continues This Weekend  (Read 22371 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Clean Up of Annie Lytle School Continues This Weekend
« on: June 19, 2012, 02:15:17 PM »
Clean Up of Annie Lytle School Continues This Weekend

After a couple of weeks of volunteer work by local activists, the Annie Lytle is sporting a new look.  Metro Jacksonville shares images of their efforts and provides an update on future volunteer cleanup events.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-jun-clean-up-of-annie-lytle-school-continues-this-weekend

Timkin

Re: Clean Up of Annie Lytle School Continues This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 03:11:31 PM »
Dog Walker called me a while ago..  The city is getting the yard debris :o ,curbside out of the way for us.

We intend to replace those piles this weekend.  I need a head count to provide enough beverages.

Thank you, Lake and MJ !

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 04:17:59 PM by Timkin »

Ralph W

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 10:40:24 PM »
Sure would be a big help if the city would back their truck into the yard and get the piles of branches there out of the way instead of waiting for us old folks to muscle them to the street.

Hey, free fire wood, too. Logs are already cut to manageable lengths and ready for someone to load and go.

sheclown

Re: Clean Up of Annie Lytle School Continues
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
Nice going guys!

Ralph W

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 11:05:42 PM »
Another thought:

Does anyone know a tree service that will donate the use of one large truck AND the super chipper they tow behind? That would make short work of all the piled up branches without having all that wasted air space in the regular city truck. Does the city have a chipper? It's all clean mulch then and ready to go to market - if anyone is still using that kind of mulch.

Timkin

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 11:13:14 PM »
If that could happen, we would get all the tree work done in a day and be done with that aspect of the effort. 

Just the tree trimming and removal of the ones (like the ones growing out of the roof of the building)  will do wonders for the appearance and to improve the visibility into the property.

We would not take any contributing trees out at all. just trim them.  They all need that.

Timkin

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 12:06:48 PM »
In addition to Ralph's post, requesting help in the way of a truck/chipper, we are requesting some other needed items:

-A lift with articulating boom... for getting to upper levels of the School to paint, pressurewash, clean ,repair the front Capital which sustained damage during the construction of the fly-over( Repairing Metal roof and marble trim in the right corner.  To replace the American Flag ( I have purchased a nice one ,embroidered)  and secure the roping to the top of the flag pole to at least make it difficult to steal.

-Paint, exterior , White , Cement color and Brown.  White obviously for the columns, portico and side entrances, planters ,etc, and the top at the roof line, Cement Color for the base all the way around the School and the caps on each of the stair entranceways at the back of the School and Auditorium entrances.

-Dumpsters/Waste management service willing to donate dumpsters for us to remove the destroyed contents of the building so as to cleanup and make as safe as possible and for presentation, the entire interior of the School.

- Companies willing to donate Hard hats, Gloves, etc for interior work.

- ANYONE willing to donate time and money for the cause ...any time and any amount of money is most appreciated.

Thanks again in advance.

ChefFreak

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »
if someone could give me dates and times, I would gladly come down and lend my hands.
"The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one who's answers I will accept." George Carlin

Timkin

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:21:18 AM »
^ Saturday.  8 AM  ChefFreak .  Thanks in advance for your help.

We hold the efforts on Saturdays as a general rule.  Or as Schedules permit.

sandyshoes

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 01:12:34 PM »
May I offer an idea, please - one way you might save our historical buildings could be to get on the commission or board or whatever COJ office it is that marks things for destruction...if preservation-minded people like She-Clown and ILoveIonia and Timkin ran the office, great things would happen! 

Timkin

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 03:56:10 PM »
City has now removed all yard debris curbside.  Believe we have some additional volunteers starting this Saturday !

WmNussbaum

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 05:51:27 PM »
Does the City or the DOT do anything for mosquito control in the cesspool under I-95 right in front of the school? 

iloveionia

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »
Thanks Sandyshoes!

We have tried to get local (in this case Springfield) preservation minded folks on the HPC Commission.  We are being ignored.  There were two vacancies, now there is one.  This has been for a LONG time.  Recently a new commissioner was appointed.  I do not know this person's background.

Sheclown can post the specifics about the new appointee as she is a gem as researching and finding this stuff. 

sheclown

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 08:29:34 PM »
2012-354

RESO Conf Appt of Cora Jones Hackley as a History Rep to the Historic Preservation Comm, Replacing Lisa L Simon for 1st Full Term exp 3/4/14. (Sidman) (Req of Mayor)

1. 5/22/2012 CO Introduced: R

6/4/2012 R Read 2nd & Rerefer

2. 6/12/2012 CO Read 2nd & Rereferred; R

Several preservation-minded Springfield folks did put in an application. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:31:57 PM by sheclown »

sheclown

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 08:30:04 PM »
Mrs. Hackley received a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Edward Waters College and is a Volunteer Liaison with Duval County Public Schools and a Volunteer/Ambassador with Northeast Florida Community Hospice. She has nearly 40 years of experience as an educator. Mrs. Hackley resides in the Lincoln Hills area within Council District #10.