Author Topic: Jacksonville Historical Society: Twelve Worth Saving  (Read 7532 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Jacksonville Historical Society: Twelve Worth Saving
« on: May 22, 2012, 03:04:15 AM »
Jacksonville Historical Society: Twelve Worth Saving

Metro Jacksonville shares the Jacksonville Historic Society's recently released a list of twelve significant endangered historical sites for 2012.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-may-jacksonville-historical-society-twelve-worth-saving

Noone

Re: Jacksonville Historical Society: Twelve Worth Saving
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 04:56:48 AM »
All are important. I've got to go with the Mayport Ferry and the component to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initiative. With the new Public, Private, Partnership all will be saved.

cline

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 08:23:39 AM »
Is the Ferry technically a historic site?  I realize it has been in operation for a long time but it doesn't really seem like a historic site.

For the record though, I do support its continued operation.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 10:36:28 AM »
Does the City own most of LaVilla (including those shotgun 'shacks' and the old jazz bar that restoration was attempted on)? Is there any land for sale in the area, or is it all being held?

Gravity

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »
agree with everything except those shotgun houses?

what would that possibly do for that particular area of town?

aclchampion

• Lord, help me be the person my dogs think I am
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »
Yes the city owns both properties where the shotgun houses are and the old jazz bar. But the location is N Jefferson and W Church, not N Jefferson and W Duval. One block north. And the old jazz bar is on W Ashley St.

Riversideist

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 12:24:59 PM »
Is there a reason that this is pretty much the same exact text as the T-U slideshow?
http://jacksonville.com/slideshows/slides-news/12-historic-jacksonville-sites-danger#slide=15

Timkin

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 11:06:29 PM »
All are important. I've got to go with the Mayport Ferry and the component to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initiative. With the new Public, Private, Partnership all will be saved.

I don't know about that.... The Shotgun Houses are in pretty bad shape currently, and while they might be the least expensive to repair, there are other examples of Shotgun Houses... So I doubt they get saved. 

Was surprised Genovar's was not on the list. Here again ..  a shell after tons of money, squandered that could well have gone a long ways towards saving it.

Locomotive #1504... That is just plain and simply ridiculous ... At least build a shelter over the thing to keep it from becoming a pile of rust.

The Ferry has probably a better chance than some of the buildings.

I love all of these buildings , including Annie Lytle , but it would be a tough call to prioritize which should be spared first and consecutively to last. As far as building condition , I would think the Haydon Burns Library building would still be in decent condition, structurally speaking.

If Annie Lytle has any advantage , it is that there is very little left in the structure that can be burned.  Its interior condition is a moot point because it would have to be gutted to be retrofitted and brought to modern code.  It has really thick brick walls . Presumably it would be tough for vandals to compromise those.  Guess I should not say anything as the building has been doomed for the last 40 years and more damage done by vandalism , than neglect.

In short  I do hope a way is paved to save most , if not all of these places, but it looks pretty bleak.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 11:47:43 PM »
Again, I would add the grand old 'Jacksonville Terminal' to the list as JTA has designs to butcher the lines of the original 1919 station and add a concrete 'wart' on the south wing to accommodate Amtrak as a new downtown train station. ABSOLUTELY INSANITY as the original building is more then capable of taking care of all of our surface transportation needs with JTA having to spend a dime on a brick to build 'another' station in LaVilla.

OCKLAWAHA

Timkin

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 12:07:11 AM »
Again, I would add the grand old 'Jacksonville Terminal' to the list as JTA has designs to butcher the lines of the original 1919 station and add a concrete 'wart' on the south wing to accommodate Amtrak as a new downtown train station. ABSOLUTELY INSANITY as the original building is more then capable of taking care of all of our surface transportation needs with JTA having to spend a dime on a brick to build 'another' station in LaVilla.

OCKLAWAHA

And the tunnels.   +1

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 12:11:46 AM »
Is there a reason that this is pretty much the same exact text as the T-U slideshow?
http://jacksonville.com/slideshows/slides-news/12-historic-jacksonville-sites-danger#slide=15

Because the FTU probably posted the same press release we issued yesterday after the JHS board meeting.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:13:35 AM »

Probably because the Historical Society (on whose board Ennis sits) issues the same list to the other media as well, and does them the courtesy of providing photos for easy reference.

Yes, there was a press release and images burned to a disk for all media.  A few of our pictures for some of the sites are different because we had better ones already available in the MJ photo gallery.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 12:18:09 AM »

OCKLAWAHA

And the tunnels.   +1

This is one of those list that we can easily expand into the hundreds living in a demo happy city.  Jax Brewing, American Export Motor Company, Jax Terminal Subway, 801 Forsyth Street, Hogans Creek Promenade, the slaughterhouse on Beaver Street, etc. could all easily be added to an endangered list.  Half of these places mentioned could disappear without a whimper because they are in areas of town that don't get the same publicity as a Riverside, Springfield, Downtown or San Marco.

BackinJax05

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 02:31:47 AM »
The Haydon Burns library & the shotgun shanties could go, and I doubt anyone would miss them. I know I wouldnt. As for Taylor Hardwick's "bold statement", it probably had a little help from "flower power". That butt ugly building looks like a bad acid trip.

BackinJax05

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 02:34:34 AM »

OCKLAWAHA

Agreed. Knock down the convention center. All of that space could easily accommodate Amtrak, Greyhound, JTA, & Commuter rail. Yeah, like were ever gonna see commuter rail in Jacksonville in our lifetimes.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:32:30 PM by Ocklawaha »