Author Topic: Beaches Construction Update: March 2012  (Read 2466 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Beaches Construction Update: March 2012
« on: March 29, 2012, 06:26:07 AM »
Beaches Construction Update: March 2012

Here's a look at new businesses, closings, and renovations this month in the Jacksonville - Neptune - Atlantic Beaches area.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-mar-beaches-construction-update-march-2012

copperfiend

Re: Beaches Construction Update: March 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 08:22:47 AM »
I was down at the beaches last Sunday and it was packed. They are already charging $5 for the public lots but I found some free parallel parking on 3rd.

I noticed Urban Flats hasn't done anything with that spot. I wonder what the delay is because prime season is starting.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:55:17 AM »
1st street is really looking good!

7-11 is going to kill it at the Beaches.  Those slurpees on a hot summer's day will sell like crazy!

Captain Zissou

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:47 AM »
I can't wait for that beaches Town Center extension on Atlantic blvd.  We have so few vibrant areas that are more than just a linear strip.  San Marco (2 strips, but they are distinctly different and not connected), Edgewood, Avondale, 5 Points, etc are all just one linear strip of shops or restaurants that can't grow any more because houses or other non-complimenting uses bookend the areas. Jax Beach and to a degree Atlantic Beach TC are the only areas that have multi-block areas of density and vibrancy in all directions.  Those are the kind of areas that get good infill residential to help perpetuate more growth.

*I didn't include the northbank in this because it both proves and negates my point.  i didn't forget about it.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »
Both the Beaches Town Center and Jacksonville Beach's downtown show what can be done with smart planning, investment, and public buy-in. They are proof positive that we can get things right around here.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 07:15:17 PM »
Looks very nice. I need to take a stroll down there.

ben says

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 07:26:02 PM »
I see W+90 is opening a second location at the beaches. Great news. Anyone been to the one in Avondale and/or know how they're doing in general?
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

thunnus

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 09:19:23 PM »
I see W+90 is opening a second location at the beaches. Great news. Anyone been to the one in Avondale and/or know how they're doing in general?

They've got some great prices and know what they are talking about, BUT I still prefer Riverside Wine for their predetermination to have you drink a couple of glasses of the juice prior to purchase.

TheProfessor

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 12:20:05 AM »
How do the multi-colored pavers look?  It's hard to tell from the pictures.

blizz01

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 12:57:53 AM »
Looks like the Caribbee Key location won't sit vacant for long:

Planned upscale restaurant seeks outdoor seating permit from Neptune Beach

An upscale restaurateur is applying for an outdoor seating permit for a new eatery at a key intersection in the Beaches Town Center.
The Neptune Beach City Council will consider a request tonight for an outdoor seating permit from Liza Groshell, owner of The North Beach Fish Camp, a new restaurant that’s slated to replace the former Caribbee Key Tropical Grill at 100 First St. That’s at the same location where the Caribbee Key operated for about decade before closing operations in November due to sluggish sales in the recession.
The Neptune Beach City Council meeting begins at 6 p.m. at City Hall, 116 First St.
“We plan on serving lunch and dinner and would like our patrons to have access to the unique outdoor dining experience, similar to the former tenants and the adjacent tenants,” which is the Sun Dog Diner Steaks and Seafood, Groshell said in a letter to the city.
City Manager Jim Jarboe said the location is at the key intersection of Atlantic Boulevard and First Street and getting an upscale restaurant would be welcomed. “It’s important because it’s a centerpiece at that intersection,” Jarboe said.
He added that Groshell already has a demolition permit to provide a “major renovation” to the two-story structure that will include the addition of a wider staircase and an elevator, which were missing under Caribbee Key operations.
Jarboe said Groshell is expected to provide development plans to the city any day. The ownership of the North Beach Fish Camp is the same group that owns the Marker 32 in Jacksonville  just west of the Intracoastal Waterway and the Palm Valley Fish Camp in St. Johns County near the Intracoastal just west of Ponte Vedra Beach.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/472000/drew-dixon/2012-04-02/planned-upscale-restaurant-seeks-outdoor-seating-permit

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali