Author Topic: Mayor Brown Unveils Economic Growth Initiatives  (Read 3807 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Mayor Brown Unveils Economic Growth Initiatives
« on: March 27, 2012, 05:02:23 PM »
Mayor Brown Unveils Economic Growth Initiatives

Mayor Alvin Brown appeared today with leading members of the Jacksonville business community to unveil legislation aimed at reforming the city?s economic development structure and policy to help create jobs and revitalize Downtown.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-mar-mayor-brown-unveils-economic-growth-initiatives

fieldafm

• Editor
Re: Mayor Brown Unveils Economic Growth Initiatives
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 05:37:37 PM »
Since JEDC's current operating budget ends in the summer(?), how will the DIA be funded and what is the proposed operating budget?  What kind of funding is being requested for the Closing Fund?  Are DIA board members paid positions?  Will staff increase or decrease with this move?  What is the organizational structure(the reorg plan presented months ago didn't give many details, and at that time didnt break off a specific DDA from JEDC)?

duvaldude08

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 06:37:16 PM »
Simmer down fieldafm. Lets wait for the details (take a deep breathe)
Jaguars 2.0

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 07:09:35 PM »
Since JEDC's current operating budget ends in the summer(?), how will the DIA be funded and what is the proposed operating budget?  What kind of funding is being requested for the Closing Fund?  Are DIA board members paid positions?  Will staff increase or decrease with this move?  What is the organizational structure(the reorg plan presented months ago didn't give many details, and at that time didnt break off a specific DDA from JEDC)?
+1, +1, +1 and +1
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

WmNussbaum

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »
You absolutely must read the comments to this same story on the T-U online. It's scary - even though few in number so far.

tufsu1

mtraininjax

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 08:42:49 AM »
Where is the buy-in from the downtown businesses or even some of the major players in Jacksonville? This is nothing more than a campaign stump speech. It smells of bigger government and too much rhetoric.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 08:50:05 AM »
What is Metrojacksonville's editorial take on this?
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

edjax

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »
Key also is who sits on the board. If the usual suspects will be more of the same. Get someone new to the city with fresh ideas to be on it then perhaps it will be a positive. Khan comes to mind as someone to go after to serve on the board.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 10:31:13 AM »
And if this works, would it be something that would live past Brown's term or terms?  I think that every time we get a new mayor, we get a new vision and start over again in a new direction.  It will take more than one or two terms to get something to drastically change.  Look maybe to other cities that keep a good mayor in office as long as the people are happy with the results. 

mtraininjax

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 10:44:48 AM »
I think that every time we get a new mayor, we get a new vision and start over again in a new direction.

+1

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”

cline

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 10:47:12 AM »
I think that every time we get a new mayor, we get a new vision and start over again in a new direction.

+1

Pretty much.  Part of the reason nothing gets done here.

mtraininjax

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 10:52:48 AM »
Pretty much.  Part of the reason nothing gets done here.

Much to the delight of the deadwood hiding out in the city and to the GOB network, because they know its status quo, and you can predict the future when change is crushed year after year.

mtraininjax

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »
Today is a momentous day both for Jacksonville and for the history of Naval aviation as we welcome the P-8A Poseidon to Naval Air Station Jacksonville.

A news flash about the P-8s replacing the P-3s at NAS JAX. So who writes the press releases for the Mayor? They are getting excellent use out of their Thesaurus.

vicupstate

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 05:25:45 PM »
And if this works, would it be something that would live past Brown's term or terms?  I think that every time we get a new mayor, we get a new vision and start over again in a new direction.  It will take more than one or two terms to get something to drastically change.  Look maybe to other cities that keep a good mayor in office as long as the people are happy with the results. 

Very valid point.  If Brown has been clearly successful with his model, his successor would likely keep it in place.  But then again, Peyton took a budget ax to JEDC after a largely successful tenure under Delaney, and IMO the city never recovered.  That, coupled with a tanking economy caused all the DT momentum from the early 2000's to completely disipate.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln