Author Topic: Mass Transit Deja Vu?  (Read 5329 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Mass Transit Deja Vu?
« on: February 23, 2012, 04:36:11 AM »
Mass Transit Deja Vu?

Metro Jacksonville's Bob Mann on how major cities San Diego and Portland took a streetcar development plan similar to Jacksonville's up into the clouds of success, while we fiddled away a leadership opportunity. And - are we about to do it again?

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-feb-mass-transit-deja-vu

Noone

Re: Mass Transit Deja Vu?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:38:32 AM »
Nice article. Bob would you like to ride the skyway? I'm serious. Not trying to make a joke about it. I'd welcome your insight.

jaxlore

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:02:17 AM »
Great article I wish someone from JTA read this blog or someone on this blogged worked for the JTA it would make jacksonville a better place.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:11:08 AM »
Sure Noone, actually I find riding it when I'm downtown is superior to trying to find a handicap parking space and hiking a mile or two.

In short, I would have NEVER built it, but now that the really expensive stuff, operations center, junctions, car barn, etc. we should try to recover our loss by making it a feeder to a north bank regional streetcar system. The Skyway should be completed to San Marco and east Jacksonville, in order to effect a seamless trip from San Marco to the majority of north bank downtown destinations. Any further adventures should only require a single connection.

JTA executives read this site, but one has to wonder how many of the good folks at City Hall pay attention.

OCKLAWAHA
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:14:22 AM by Ocklawaha »

Garden guy

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 09:24:14 AM »
Sounds like the work of a true conservative southern city...always a little behind....like 80 years.

cline

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »
Great article I wish someone from JTA read this blog or someone on this blogged worked for the JTA it would make jacksonville a better place.

No it wouldn't.  JTA does not care about mass transit, and they especially don't care about streetcar.  They care about building roads.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 09:37:43 AM »
^which is why the gas tax expiring is a good thing, in terms how should JTA be utilized in the future to best benefit the community.  It creates an opportunity to reevaluate how things are currently run and determine if changes in funding strategies and priorities are truly needed.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

cline

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 09:56:34 AM »
It cannot come soon enough.

wsansewjs

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 09:57:16 AM »
^which is why the gas tax expiring is a good thing, in terms how should JTA be utilized in the future to best benefit the community.  It creates an opportunity to reevaluate how things are currently run and determine if changes in funding strategies and priorities are truly needed.

Basically, you are saying that JTA is one fat, nasty, rotten, and spoiled baby, and we need to snatch the lollipop away from the baby in order to make the baby cry, bitch, whines?

For the record, I have NOTHING nice to say about JTA until the clobber-heads over there get their s*** together.

-Josh
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:00:49 AM by wsansewjs »
"When I take over JTA, the PCT'S will become artificial reefs and thus serve a REAL purpose. - OCKLAWAHA"

"Stephen intends on running for office in the next election (2014)." - Stephen Dare

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »
Why not tell us how you REALLY feel wsansewjs?  LOL!

Uncle Ock  ;)

wsansewjs

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »
Why not tell us how you REALLY feel wsansewjs?  LOL!

Uncle Ock  ;)

For once, I am a rider of JTA Connexion and JTA. I can go on and rip a new hole in JTA by ranting all day, but I need time to compile a "nice" list where they should bend over and prepare to be spanked, starting with Michael Blaylock.

-Josh
"When I take over JTA, the PCT'S will become artificial reefs and thus serve a REAL purpose. - OCKLAWAHA"

"Stephen intends on running for office in the next election (2014)." - Stephen Dare

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 10:22:30 AM »
Like the last 60 years of restrictive downtown development policies, I'm pretty much saying that what we have in place, clearly doesn't work.  If it doesn't work, then why try to preserve the failed structure and do more of the same?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 10:46:39 AM »
For those who have been in Jacksonville for a long time, I'm curious as to how long it took for public sentiment to turn against the Skyway? Was it immediate? Mid-90's? Or is the almost universal bad attitude toward the Skyway a relatively recent phenomenon?

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 10:49:10 AM »
Nothing is going to change. I really had hoped that Mayor Brown would be stronger on some of these issues. He isn't really to concerned about improving transit, by not extending the gas tax and some how radically changing JTA by not doing this. He is just sticking to his "i don't support taxes or fees" mantra. To the detriment of those that voted for him and to the like of those who didn't vote for him.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 10:49:54 AM »
KenFSU, good question.  Ocklawaha, are you around?