Author Topic: New Development to rise along JTB  (Read 7934 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
New Development to rise along JTB
« on: January 07, 2008, 04:30:00 AM »
New Development to rise along JTB

Another development is in the works for the JTB corridor.  San Pablo Place is an upscale mixed-use development proposed by Steinemann   Company.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/671

jeh1980

Re: New Development to rise along JTB
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 05:06:00 AM »
Great plan. I like it! It would also be nice to see more high rises along JTB too! 8)

downtownparks

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 08:41:18 AM »
Yeah, why put the tall buildings, or retail developments downtown when you can build them in the swamp, along an artery that is gridlocked.

copperfiend

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 08:43:26 AM »
Here is an early prediction. If this is built, most of the retail aspect will fail. Isolated retail rarely works. Look at the World Golf Village.

second_pancake

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 09:22:11 AM »
Yeah, why put the tall buildings, or retail developments downtown when you can build them in the swamp, along an artery that is gridlocked.

Don't fear, the new BRT route will solve this problem.  Anyway, we can't expect the developers and city council to think about all of that now when there are buildings to build and wetlands to fill.  They'll worry about that later. ;)
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."

archiphreak

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 12:04:52 PM »
Yeah.  BRT...UGH.  And look at all that snazzy new surface parking!  I think there might be one or two buildings in there somewhere, but I can be sure.  All I see is a large see of concrete parking with these little red things that could be a roof structure of some kind so serve some purpose, but it's just SO SMALL!  This is what happens when people with too much money and too little style and imagination govern our built environment.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
MORE GRIDLOCK = MORE BRT?
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 12:15:42 PM »
OMG, I have created a monster...

It is true that I hate the current BRT plan. Arlington Expressway (which major design changes) is okay with me, for now.

Now imagine Commuter Rail to St. Augustine or the Avenues? Add a HOV lane to JTB and during rush hours limit it to buses or 4 (FOUR) person car pools. Give it a slight 3' painted divide from the rest of the roadway, and run express buses like "streetcars" up and down with stops in places like Hodge, STJTC, GATE, KERNAN, HODGES, SAN PABLO etc... Simple on and off stops with a bus lane/HOV ramp. Small attractive station at the bottom of the ramp, across the light, and right back up on the roadway. There is just no excuse for giant busways over the top of our highway or rail system.

By the way, if JTA want's to really fix JTB, why does it narrow at I-95? Why not a ramp, Fly-over Belfort for Northbound (downtown traffic) ?

Ocklawaha

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 12:28:05 PM »
Ock, they have some serious plans for that interchange.  In fact, I'd say its overkill.  Here's a link:

http://www.jtafla.com/projects/bjp/bjus1jtbinter.aspx
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 12:30:28 PM »
This image shows the future BRT station site in Southpoint.

http://www.jtafla.com/projects/bjp/graphics/JTB-Alt_C-aerial.jpg
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Captain Zissou

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 12:56:37 PM »
I don't understand the point of this development.  What's the point of putting any height on it if there will be an ocean of surface lots surrounding the complex.  Why not just make a sprawling complex?  At least that might make the area look a little less isolated....

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
JTB - BEACHES EXPRESSWAY and BRT
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 01:17:39 PM »
Thanks Lake, I hadn't gotten into those plans yet... still looking at the Matthews-Arlington Expy and Southbank I-95 mess.

I rather like the idea of extending the freeway on to US-1... I wish they'd change the name to something more constant for visitors. "BEACH EXPRESSWAY" or something. Drop the Blvd. crap, since it's clearly a expressway, and quit the "JTB", "J. T. Butler", "Butler Blvd," "J. Turner Butler," confusion.

The flyovers at the Northbound from Beaches to 95 North are great, and badly needed. The other ramps will get rid of the stoplight backups and cross traffic. Also Okay. The new service road is where the BRT ought to be focused, rather then up in a corner. When commuter rail comes along, a natural extension of BRT is along a JTB/Beach Expressway from the FEC to the Beach. A system of service roads would do the trick if we followed a cheaper Las Vegas model, rather then the stupid path they have engineered. By boxing the "station" into a NE corner, they are locking out RAIL, and restricting other access such as Park and Ride. It is doomed to be another Kings Avenue Station Parking garage, Giant, expensive and without easy access.

Wal-Mart and Target place racks at the checkout as "impulse sales centers." They are stocked with little things anyone might have overlooked, or would never have come shopping for in the first place. I believe good transit must use the same approach, FRONT and CENTER, so everyone checking in or out of JTB, Downtown, or where-ever, MUST see the transit flowing and wonder..."maybe that's a better way..."

Ocklawaha

jeh1980

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 12:59:27 AM »
Here is an early prediction. If this is built, most of the retail aspect will fail. Isolated retail rarely works. Look at the World Golf Village.
We all due respect, but I would depend on that prediction ::). We need stuff like this in this city. I believe the retail aspect will go on...nuff said ;).

DemocraticNole

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 01:13:13 AM »
Thanks Lake, I hadn't gotten into those plans yet... still looking at the Matthews-Arlington Expy and Southbank I-95 mess.

I rather like the idea of extending the freeway on to US-1... I wish they'd change the name to something more constant for visitors. "BEACH EXPRESSWAY" or something. Drop the Blvd. crap, since it's clearly a expressway, and quit the "JTB", "J. T. Butler", "Butler Blvd," "J. Turner Butler," confusion.

The flyovers at the Northbound from Beaches to 95 North are great, and badly needed. The other ramps will get rid of the stoplight backups and cross traffic. Also Okay. The new service road is where the BRT ought to be focused, rather then up in a corner. When commuter rail comes along, a natural extension of BRT is along a JTB/Beach Expressway from the FEC to the Beach. A system of service roads would do the trick if we followed a cheaper Las Vegas model, rather then the stupid path they have engineered. By boxing the "station" into a NE corner, they are locking out RAIL, and restricting other access such as Park and Ride. It is doomed to be another Kings Avenue Station Parking garage, Giant, expensive and without easy access.

Wal-Mart and Target place racks at the checkout as "impulse sales centers." They are stocked with little things anyone might have overlooked, or would never have come shopping for in the first place. I believe good transit must use the same approach, FRONT and CENTER, so everyone checking in or out of JTB, Downtown, or where-ever, MUST see the transit flowing and wonder..."maybe that's a better way..."

Ocklawaha
I agree with you on the whole naming part. It is stupid to call it boulevard when it is limited access. Why not just simply Butler Freeway. That's another thing: Florida should call them Freeways if they are free and Expressways if they are toll.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 01:00:52 PM »
Any update on this?

reednavy

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 02:09:18 PM »
It probably bit the dust for now, like everything else not associated with SJTC.

Come to think of it, where the hell is our Westin?! The Sheraton looks like an oversized Hampton Inn. (Nothing against Hampton Inn, nice place)
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!