Author Topic: JaxHax: A 'Makerspace' Arrives  (Read 3356 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
JaxHax: A 'Makerspace' Arrives
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:06:21 AM »
JaxHax: A 'Makerspace' Arrives

Metrojacksonville meets with JaxHax President Ronnie Hinton for a grand tour of the city's first and only 'makerspace' - a community-operated facility for the creation and promotion of personal projects and design.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-feb-jaxhax-a-makerspace-arrives

Noone

Re: JaxHax: A 'Makerspace' Arrives
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 03:55:38 AM »
Very nice. The whole time I'm thinking how similar to Co Work Jax.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:44:19 AM »
cool stuff.
Lenny Smash

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 07:54:56 AM »
Awesome!
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:34:53 AM »
Are there any other tenants using this remarkable building?
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

TPC

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 08:37:16 AM »
This is really cool.

obie1

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 11:13:21 AM »
This is the coolest thing ever and it is not even done yet. Jax is gonna have its own rocket launcher you heard it here first.

jerry cornwell

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 12:10:13 PM »
This is the coolest thing ever and it is not even done yet. Jax is gonna have its own rocket launcher you heard it here first.
Hats off to Ronnie Hilton and everyone involved who's selflessness and humility will benefit Jacksonville and Downtown!
Democracy is TERRIBLE!  But its the best we got!  W.S. Churchill

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 12:26:53 PM »
Wow. Very cool.  So glad that building is being used.  Every time I drive by it, I think "lofts." 

blfair

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 09:57:57 PM »
Awesome - words fail me.

As far as other use of the building -- I've seen space advertised for lease on craigslist for stupid cheap:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/off/2817148575.html

jgdovin

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 08:26:52 AM »
Hey guys. This is Josh from JaxHax one of the officers over here.

Thanks for all the great words and wows :) We love it here, we do have open meetings every tuesday night at 7:30pm if anyone is interested in checking the place out in person.

As far as other uses for the building... Right now I know of 2 photo studios, a meat packing company, a few wood working/cabinet making shops, a guy who imports broken electronics and sells them super cheap for repair, next door in another building owned by the landlord is a police/firefighter gym with full boxing ring. I know there are several other tenants, but the building is HUGE so I havent had a chance to meet with everyone just yet.

Also, the rent is ridiculously cheap. You can get a space our size for under 800 most of the time.

Any other questions just let us know :)

Josh

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 08:59:20 AM »
Welcome to the forums, Josh.  You all have a great thing going over there off Union Street.  I believe your post confirms why it's worth keeping old structures like the Union Terminal Warehouse from the wrecking ball.  Photo studios, a meat packing company, cabinet making shops, JaxHax, etc. all budding enterprises in a space that has been considered for demolition in association with the Mathews Bridge replacement in the past.  Not everyone can afford to buy property and construct a new building on top of it.  These buildings offer great opportunities for incubators and small business growth.  Great article, Sarah!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jgdovin

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 09:38:57 AM »
thelakelander,

Thanks for the kind words. It was a pleasure having Sarah at the space, great reporter and beautiful to boot. The current owners from what I hear have owned this building for many years and own it out right, hence the low rent cost. Its a great historical building and has an amazing feel to it when walking through.

mbstout

• aThousandPiecesOfMe
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 11:49:42 AM »
Great resource for Jacksonville artisans and use of an existing warehouse space!  Reminds me a lot of the creative community space that opened in my neighborhood of East Williasmburg, Brooklyn in 2005- www.3rdward.com

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 08:27:34 PM »
This is worth re-posting to remind everyone about this cool place.  I just saw a segment about it on Hometown on WJCT, and I thought, "How come I haven't seen this on MJ?"  So I searched, and Eureka!  I had seen it...back in February.  I even commented on it.  And then I forgot.

If you're of the creative type, check it out.  They have an open house every Tuesday.  I'm not even especially creative, but just seeing the segment inspired me. 

They have a Facebook page, and their website (jaxhax.org) is being re-built and will soon be back up.  Check it out.