Author Topic: Downtown Construction Update: January 2008  (Read 11963 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Downtown Construction Update: January 2008
« on: January 04, 2008, 04:30:00 AM »
Downtown Construction Update: January 2008

Check up on the status of Downtown Jacksonville's construction projects in the January Downtown Construction update.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/683

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
Re: Downtown Construction Update: January 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 05:35:04 AM »
Thanks for the photos and the update. You'd never know that underneath all that great work lies a potential Mayberry. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 05:46:01 AM by gatorback »
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

jeh1980

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 07:21:56 AM »
A potential Mayberry? ::) Well, I don't know about all that. I still see a city on the rise! 8)

copperfiend

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 08:35:26 AM »
Thanks for the photos and the update. You'd never know that underneath all that great work lies a potential Mayberry. 

ok

Pavers

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
Is the "Brick" coffeehouse open?  Where on Adams is it exactly?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 09:06:58 AM »
It's located next to the entrance of the Ed Ball Building between Hogan and Julia Streets, however its not open yet.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 09:58:47 AM »
I know I shouldn't complain, but don't you think Chamblins could do without the bars, I hate seeing bars in store fronts like that. Too me it makes it look like an unsafe area.  They could have done better than that. On the bright side, glad to see them almost opening (finally).

second_pancake

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 10:15:54 AM »
I know I shouldn't complain, but don't you think Chamblins could do without the bars, I hate seeing bars in store fronts like that. Too me it makes it look like an unsafe area.  They could have done better than that. On the bright side, glad to see them almost opening (finally).

Unfortunately, one has to ask themselves which is less costly, the perception others may have by looking at burglar bars & therefore not entering the establishment, or having to replace windows and inventory every other day because of robberies.  Something tells me the bars are a safe bet.

Btw, I have some info too...will have to see if I have pics so I can post them for you, but City Cycle is moving out of 5 points (they are currently next to the renovated theatre) and setting up shop in the more recently renovated area of King and Park.  They have taken over the old Fig Leaf location across from European Street that went out of business as of 12/31/07.  Demolition is going on now on the interior and plans are to redo the exterior as well.
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."

avonjax

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 12:24:25 PM »
Interesting info about 5 points.
Does anyone have any update about future tenants? It seems quite a few places have gone but only a few have replaced them.
Thanks for any info.

second_pancake

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 12:31:49 PM »
Interesting info about 5 points.
Does anyone have any update about future tenants? It seems quite a few places have gone but only a few have replaced them.
Thanks for any info.

I'd like to know too.  I'm over in that area quite frequently and I've watched Urbane come and go, the jewelry shop that has been there for years is leaving, Hypnotique has been sitting there with an empty store and naked manequins forever, and I have no idea when the sushi place is coming back (they took over the space occupied by the optometrist shop).  It's sad really.  It would be cool to see a music store go in.  There is virtually no place to go if you live in the area, to buy/listen to cds, and given the median age in that area I think it would do really well.
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."

second_pancake

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 12:54:09 PM »
http://www.urbanjacksonville.info/2007/09/01/retail-gets-big-in-springfield/

One of you guys probably writes this, but I found it interesting nonetheless ;)  I didn't hear the rumor about Fans and Stoves.  I wonder what big national chain we can find moving in there if the rumormill is right.

I can, however validate the claim of high-rent in 5-points.  It's not the rent that keeps the new places from staying though, but the fact that there doesn't seem to be any enforcment of contracts by the owner.  Places come and go so quickly because they can.  Things don't work out, they just up and leave with no consequences.  And forget trying to get any of the other tenants to share your concern with bringing business into the area.  There are quite a few of them that really don't seem to care whether or not they make a dime.  Why would you want to open your shop, or keep your shop open, in an environment where the people have such a lackadaisical attitude about everything?

I never thought I'd say this, or even think it, but some of the tenants of 5-points could really learn a thing or two by looking at businesses in downtown and what's happening in Springfield.

raheem942

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 12:56:58 PM »
things are moving slow around there

Matt

• My Band!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 03:01:18 PM »
why oh why would the 20 west developers even say it would be done in november? maybe they meant the windows..in which they are still a month late... ::)
My home is my body.
My protection is right action.

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 04:04:31 PM »
Please don't shoot the n00b, and please don't think I'm giving any disrespect to the photo-shooters, but I have a question.  What the heck is going on with the City Hall Annex?  Internal rennovations? It seems, to the too-casual observer, like it's just the same level of progress on every one of these monthly updates.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

second_pancake

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 04:09:07 PM »
City Cycle's new location....