Author Topic: Books a Million of San Jose Closing..  (Read 5830 times)

harajuka

Books a Million of San Jose Closing..
« on: January 26, 2012, 01:55:05 PM »
Well another local bookstore is closing it's doors..  First Borders now Books a Million in Mandarin of San Jose...  If you are looking for deals looks like you can pick up items for 20-50% off.

Books-A-Million Store Closing it's doors in Mandarin

copperfiend

Re: Books a Million of San Jose Closing..
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:58:37 PM »
I would use the term "local bookstore" loosely to describe Books A Million. The Kindle, Nook and iPad are making chain stores like Borders and Book A Million irrelevant. Sort of like Kodak film.

KenFSU

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 02:12:22 PM »
I really hope the Books A Million stores at the beach and Regency don't suffer the same fate.

And, for the hundreth time, I truly and genuinely miss the Borders on Southside Blvd.

Though my life is much more convenient as a result of technologies like the Kindle, Amazon, the iPad, Netflix, and iTunes, I can't help but be profoundly sad over the loss of so many neighborhood bookstores, video rental stores, music shops, etc. I think the video game stores will likely be next. There's something magic about these places that their online equivalents will never be able to replicate.

copperfiend

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 02:46:51 PM »
I was never a fan of Books a Million but I agree with your thoughts on Borders. A decade or so ago, they were the place for some awesome music. They had incredibly knowledgable people working there as well. Unfortunately, their time has passed. Well, at least I will have stories to share with my kids..

Dapperdan

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 03:09:38 PM »
We are living in the times of the death of many brick and morter stores. When the dust settles, your only options may be the big mega box stores that have departments of books,  video games, etc. I was just thinking back to my teen years when going to Blockbuster was the norm It Was $3.99 for a new rental, sure, but it was fun to go in and browse the number of movies that weren't there since you decided to try and "look" for a movie on Friday night.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »
At least the Barnes and Noble we lost was near a books a million and now the Books a Million we are losing is right across from a Barnes and Noble.  I think they have the same parent company so it is a good strategic move. The Borders was sad that is where I bought most of my Repairman Jack Books.
"If it was that bad she would have reported it" Donald Trump

ben says

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 05:45:21 PM »
Chamblin's for life.
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »
I have a lot of childhood memories from this Books a Million (although I've never been back in like 12 years)

Still, sad moment for me.

jaxlore

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 04:03:36 PM »
I used to work at BAM way back in the day. But it had really gone down hill and turned more into a discount retailer after Barnes N Nobles moved in across the street. But I did have some fun times.

NotNow

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 04:53:29 PM »
The only constant in life is change.   I'm a kindle guy.
Deo adjuvante non timendum

avonjax

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 07:39:10 PM »
I really hope the Books A Million stores at the beach and Regency don't suffer the same fate.

And, for the hundreth time, I truly and genuinely miss the Borders on Southside Blvd.

Though my life is much more convenient as a result of technologies like the Kindle, Amazon, the iPad, Netflix, and iTunes, I can't help but be profoundly sad over the loss of so many neighborhood bookstores, video rental stores, music shops, etc. I think the video game stores will likely be next. There's something magic about these places that their online equivalents will never be able to replicate.
In the near future we will be a bunch of cave dwellers sitting in the dark, listening and buying music on our device and the same with movies and books. That's probably why retail customers are becoming such jerks and treat retail people like they were 2nd class citizens. Social Hermits and it's sad. I LOVED BORDERS.

avonjax

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 07:45:36 PM »
We are living in the times of the death of many brick and morter stores. When the dust settles, your only options may be the big mega box stores that have departments of books,  video games, etc. I was just thinking back to my teen years when going to Blockbuster was the norm It Was $3.99 for a new rental, sure, but it was fun to go in and browse the number of movies that weren't there since you decided to try and "look" for a movie on Friday night.

I think you are wrong. There will be no mega stores. That was the day of Department stores. Internet shopping is putting everyone out. And there will be a high rate of unemployment and the loss of pretty good jobs, especially for younger people. They need far less people to run their business and far less overhead. For many items an online site is just the middleman. But this will have a bad effect on the economy. All those retail workers will have little or nothing to spend and there are millions of them A lot of office workers get part time retail jobs in retail because of the hours and those will someday in the future disappear. The crazy thing is when this market is gone people will be really sad. They just don't see it coming.

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 10:18:56 AM »
The only constant in life is change.   I'm a kindle guy.

Kind of weird looking at this post 7 years later.  I still have all my books I owned in 2012.  Do you still have your Kindle?
Third Place