Author Topic: Seattle Streetcar Opens  (Read 2193 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Seattle Streetcar Opens
« on: January 03, 2008, 04:00:00 AM »
Seattle Streetcar Opens

On December 12, elected officials joined the public to commemorate the official start of streetcar operations between Seattle's downtown core and the fast-growing South Lake Union neighborhood.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/682

downtownparks

Re: Seattle Streetcar Opens
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 08:32:33 AM »
Ah yes, the SLUT... Nice work Seattle!!!!

second_pancake

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:40:21 AM »
roflmao.  Yup, leave it to Seattle.  Hey, do you think if Jax implemented this, we could get away with Firstcoast Urban Commuter Rail?  Just a thought ;)

My husband is from Seattle and he didn't have good comments about this one.  Apparantly it was many years in the making but when it was approved the citizens were up and arms about the cost and length of time about the project.  They also were concerned with the initial route and the cost:benefit ratio.  I guess they created a BRT not too long ago that failed miserably and didn't move nearly the number of people they had originally projected.  He said the only time it was ever fully utlized was during Seahawk games.  Only time will tell how this will fair.
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."

avonjax

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 12:09:41 PM »
I find it funny that the citizens of Seattle were up in arms about the cost of their new streetcar, yet the citizens of Jax are completely apathetic about the extreme cost of the BRT.

second_pancake

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 12:49:19 PM »
I find it funny that the citizens of Seattle were up in arms about the cost of their new streetcar, yet the citizens of Jax are completely apathetic about the extreme cost of the BRT.

I don't think many people know about it.  I didn't know about it until last month or so when I came across this site...and I have a house in Riverside right next to Roosevelt.  The "notice" I got in the mail was just something saying that the city was looking into the possibility of a rapid transit system and listed when the meeting would be.  It seemed pretty insignificant.

If there were more publicity surrounding this and the news media got involved, listing the cost of the project and just how many businesses/residents would be impacted based on the enormous amount of land the city wants to purchase, citizens here would be just as, if not more, outraged.
"What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially."

Matt

• My Band!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 03:38:14 PM »
matt=jelous
My home is my body.
My protection is right action.

DemocraticNole

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 02:57:49 AM »
I've been to Seattle and I must say, I don't like the fact that many of their buses and apparently this street car use the wires above the highway method for powering the vehicle. All of those wires overhanging the street look very tacky and distracts from the view. There are better ways of doing it.

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 03:24:34 AM »
I've been to Seattle and I must say, I don't like the fact that many of their buses and apparently this street car use the wires above the highway method for powering the vehicle. All of those wires overhanging the street look very tacky and distracts from the view. There are better ways of doing it.

That's just not right on so many levels.  Let's talk about the record fire seasons since 1997.  Seven of the 10 record seasons as a result of global climate change.  We need street cars like this.  That's the first thing that comes to mind.  Second, congestion...gosh, don't you want to be able to get around in the quickest way without all that black crap being filtered by your lungs?  And last, yes, the wires are there but look at the alternative.  Gotta have those wires.  How else would you get power to the motors given it's 2008.

The cars are good looking.  Look at the wires as a beauty mark. 

So you think this looks soooo much better?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:59:33 AM by gatorback »
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586