Author Topic: Changing the Urban Landscape in 2012  (Read 6087 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Changing the Urban Landscape in 2012
« on: January 03, 2012, 04:08:12 AM »
Changing the Urban Landscape in 2012

With Mayor Alvin Brown, public, and private sector leaders making downtown revitalization a true commitment, here are five projects that could stimulate additional life in downtown in 2012.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-jan-changing-the-urban-landscape-in-2012

Noone

Re: Changing the Urban Landscape in 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 04:48:45 AM »
Who are the Public/Private sector leaders? Brooklyn, Stonewall at Chelsea St. and that immediate potential canoe and kayak launch along with Brooklyn Park and the Tomahawk Park that is in District 5  can be an immediate organic cluster of organic economic development with a bike rack and a Mayor Brown kayak launch logo. Who wants to kayak under the TU?

Shipyards III The Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier also can be opened immediately. Was there yesterday.  The St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initiative flows through the heart of our city. Who wants to kayak and fish under the Riverwalk and the new Waterways issued no fishing signs?
It Khan Happen.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 08:10:38 AM »
That's a great list, these are exactly the kind of things we need, things that foster organic growth by bringing people into the core.

jaxlore

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 08:32:21 AM »
Very cool. Are Laura street trio and Riverside Ave done deals? Or heck is that even a real phrase anymore :)

dougskiles

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 08:35:04 AM »

The feasibility of this project will receive a huge boost with EverBank Center and the Duval County Courthouse both being a potential Skyway ride away.

Which Skyway station would they use?  The O&M center is clearly the closest, but currently isn't on the line for passengers.  The Convention Center station is 1,500 feet away from the closest point.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 08:48:01 AM »
Doug, I think the article is assuming that the promised Riverside Ave station would get built.  i don't know if there is a formal agreement to build this station is in place, and who would pay for it if the agreement was in place, but the renderings for the Brooklyn Park development usually showed a skyway stop on Riverside Ave.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 08:57:02 AM »
Good list. The Laura Street Trio is the next big project the city should focus on. All of these are well suited to help along various smaller projects that will breathe some more life into Downtown.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:34:33 AM »
Great list I guess revamping the sprawlville transportation center design is too much to hope for on this list.  You picked good projects that have a reasonable chance of moving forward this year and have some political will behind them.  Great Job.
Lenny Smash

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 09:39:42 AM »
I agree.  The Trio is probably the most important goal.  The structure only has a little time left and the location is where we need to focus for synergy. 

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 09:44:20 AM »
The other projects getting done may help the Trio to be a more viable project for the private sector part of the deal.
Lenny Smash

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 10:04:49 AM »
Great things happening DT especially when you include the possible night life enhancements discussed in "Rockstar's Rumormill":

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,14050.msg259477/topicseen.html#new
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

dougskiles

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 02:07:47 PM »
Doug, I think the article is assuming that the promised Riverside Ave station would get built.  i don't know if there is a formal agreement to build this station is in place, and who would pay for it if the agreement was in place, but the renderings for the Brooklyn Park development usually showed a skyway stop on Riverside Ave.

I looked at the aerial a little closer and see what you're talking about.  There is an extension point just before the maintenance yard that could go to Riverside Avenue.  However, as much as I like the Skyway, I think the streetcar option would be a better solution to connect Brooklyn to DT.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 02:10:11 PM »
The streetcar is a superior option because it can be extended into Riverside without taking away from the historic district's character.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

dougskiles

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 02:13:20 PM »
Do you think there is any possibility that the new owner's of the Brooklyn site(s) will contribute to the cost of the streetcar?  It sure would be a big boost for their development.  If nothing else, a TIF district with funds directed toward the streetcar.

tufsu1

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 02:29:10 PM »
I'm sure they would consider that in lieu of a payment for extending the skyway....either way it is up to JTA and the City to figure out what they want and then ask for it.

Of course if they come in for development during the mobility fee moratorium, they'd only contribute because they're nice citizens (not likely)