Author Topic: Downtown 7-Eleven Renderings Released  (Read 7976 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Downtown 7-Eleven Renderings Released
« on: December 06, 2011, 06:19:48 AM »
Downtown 7-Eleven Renderings Released

7-Eleven has announced its intentions to open a downtown gas station and convenience store at the intersection of Main and Union Streets.  Metro Jacksonville shares renderings of the proposed project.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-dec-downtown-7-eleven-renderings-released

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Downtown 7-Eleven Renderings Released
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 06:23:12 AM »
It would be nice to see the interior layout of the proposed 7-Eleven.  I wonder if it would be simple to shift the main entrance closer to Main Street?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 07:02:57 AM »
The first plan is much better, is the change mainly to accomodate the car wash?
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 07:12:41 AM »

Here is the original site plan.  It appears that the changes are being made to reduce the building's size in favor of more space for on-site tanker truck delivery access around the gas pump area.

Revised 7-Eleven site plan
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:15:48 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 08:24:54 AM »
Looks like pretty much the same plan to me. 

The only thing that bothers me is this:

6. Applicant to apply for and receive a deviation to eliminate entrances on Main Street and Union Street frontages prior to Final DDRB Approval.

They should keep those entrances or at least modify it with a corner entrance.  Even though it will still look very similar I think they need to retain some sort of connectivity to those streets for pedestrians.  What could be the reasoning behind this?  Saving space? 

Other than that looks like it should be a nice addition.  The elimination of the cafe/outdoor seating doesn't really bother me.  How many people would actually want to eat lunch at a gas station, or sitting right on Union St for that matter?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:30:01 AM by acme54321 »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 08:31:40 AM »
No entrances would be on Union or Main Streets.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 08:45:16 AM »
This doesn't look as bad as I was expecting, but it does look like just another gas station.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 12:26:02 PM »
you can say that again!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »
They should keep those entrances or at least modify it with a corner entrance.  Even though it will still look very similar I think they need to retain some sort of connectivity to those streets for pedestrians.  What could be the reasoning behind this?  Saving space? 

Other than that looks like it should be a nice addition.  The elimination of the cafe/outdoor seating doesn't really bother me.  How many people would actually want to eat lunch at a gas station, or sitting right on Union St for that matter?

I agree.  Without knowing the interior layout, I believe a corner entrance at Main & Union would be a great idea.  The only real knock I see in the revised plan is now the entire building turns its back to downtown and the main intersection.  Pedestrian scale urbanism and walkability is more than just sticking a building's walls next to the sidewalk.  There needs to be stronger interaction in the form of opens and window displays.   This could be resolved by making that tower element a functional corner entrance.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:01:23 PM by thelakelander »

duvaldude08

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 01:30:03 PM »
Im glad to atleast see that something is still happening. This project has been quiet for awhile.
Jaguars 2.0

JaxNative68

• Be obscure clearly
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 04:29:44 PM »
great.  another poorly designed eifs box for jacksonville.  nothing like bringing your bad suburban buildings downtown.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 04:45:26 PM »
If 7-eleven is told they need to live up to the previously approved design I bet they will.
Lenny Smash

acme54321

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 05:16:53 PM »
Who is on the DDRB?

iMarvin

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 05:26:42 PM »
great.  another poorly designed eifs box for jacksonville.  nothing like bringing your bad suburban buildings downtown.

This is exactly what I thought. This looks like it belongs in the St. Johns Town Center. I'm happy for the addition, but this is so plain and poorly designed.

dougskiles

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 07:17:01 PM »