Author Topic: U.S. Road Fatalities Mapped  (Read 2129 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
U.S. Road Fatalities Mapped
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:04:04 AM »
U.S. Road Fatalities Mapped

ITOworld.com has combined data from the Fatality Analysis Reporting System of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration with the OpenStreetMap project to pinpoint U.S. road fatalities over the past nine years. The result is shocking.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-dec-us-road-fatalities-mapped

mtraininjax

Re: U.S. Road Fatalities Mapped
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 09:45:38 AM »
There are not nearly as many as I would have expected on FL 202 aka J Turner Butler.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

peestandingup

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:03:04 AM »
We've basically been socialized to think that car accidents & deaths are "just the way it is". No one ever questions the system as a whole. It's such a needless way to die & it's so so common.

Same socialization thing with the cost of ownership of cars in general in this country. It's hilarious that people make a huge stink about paying a few extra dollars in taxes a year for decent public transportation, but then will just blindly hand over a $400 a month car payment + Insurance + Gas + Maintenance to keep those cars, all the while screaming "freedom!".

I'm just saying, when you're forced to do something (which most of us are forced to play the car ownership game because there's no alternatives), then that's not freedom. We used to have freedom (passenger trains, city streetcars, walkable streets, etc, along with cars), but those days are long gone.

Make no mistake about it, we've all been duped.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 06:45:13 PM »
It really is insane. This map doesn't even include injuries which are dramatically higher than fatalities.

danem

• hoot hoot
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 07:58:42 PM »
I love driving a car, but not *all the time*. Since I moved here I am amazed that, unless you are really careful where you choose to live, every little errand can be a freaking road trip with a minimum of four miles.

Also, the massive shopping centers with the cluttered nooks and crannies of commercialness on Beach are truly dashboard pounding in their aggravation factor of merely getting in and out. I am not surprised at how many dots on that map are on Beach.

north miami

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:01:47 PM »
And what role does growth promotion politics,action,'planning' play?

say,for example,decision to downgrade St. johns County I-95 level of service.I-10 West...

What will the emerging legal ramifications be?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:06:33 PM by north miami »

urbaknight

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 10:33:15 AM »
If only we would crack down on "bad driving" prosecute, or at the least fine the hell out of them. I believe all of our budget problems would be solved. Taking away their licences would also increase ridership on JTA, hopefully putting pressure on JTA to improve over all service.

peestandingup

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 12:07:40 PM »
If only we would crack down on "bad driving" prosecute, or at the least fine the hell out of them. I believe all of our budget problems would be solved. Taking away their licences would also increase ridership on JTA, hopefully putting pressure on JTA to improve over all service.

How do you propose we do that?? Cops seem like they're more interested in quotas & just catching random speeders, who in reality may not really be "bad drivers". Example: My wife's grandma is absolutely the WORST driver I've ever seen. But because she lives in a small community where everyone knows everyone, she's never gotten a ticket in her life. Whereas me (I consider myself a very careful driver) have gotten numerous ones because I travel a lot & may occasionally go 5 to 10 miles over the speed limit on a highway. Does that seem fair??

Point is, if they're just out there plucking people at random & filling quotas, then that's not really solving any problems is it. Don't kid yourself, tickets are a revenue generator, nothing more.

A better idea would be to, you know, not force each & every person in the country to drive & give them some options. But we as a country don't seem too interested in that & would rather just keep the status quo of deaths & those magical tickets that apparently keep us "safe".

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 01:20:49 PM »
Traffic enforcement has become pretty ridiculous, and to my mind not effective. If it were up to me, unmarked or hidden vehicles could not be used for traffic detail, and I'd probably also get rid of radar. The focus ought to be catching drivers who are actually a threat, whether it be by speeding or anything else, and on other less lucrative infractions.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

north miami

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »

To really upset fellow drivers,see middle fingers thrust defiantly,simply adhere to the posted Speed Limit......
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 06:15:56 PM by north miami »

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 11:39:19 PM »
Ditto all of the above, however, I question how you would ever fine a true speeder and make the charge stick in a traffic court without the use of radar or some similar technology.

Bottom line of this study?

IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE, OR WALK IN SAFETY, MOVE TO BALD BUTTE, MONTANA!  PREFERABLY, ON TOP OF THE BUTTE.

Of course there is a beautiful railroad station in Livingston, and another in Moose Lodge, Butte had a full blown stub track mini terminal station... They all remain abandoned, neither Amtrak, the administration in Washington, nor the railroads, seem willing to restore the magic carpet of steel to the mountains of the Yellowstone River.

OCKLAWAHA

urbaknight

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 12:55:27 PM »
I give the finger to anyone that I see running a redlight, which is all the time.