Author Topic: Abandoned Jacksonville: The Laura Street Trio  (Read 10644 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Abandoned Jacksonville: The Laura Street Trio
« on: November 18, 2011, 03:43:48 AM »
Abandoned Jacksonville: The Laura Street Trio

A look inside what may be the most historically significant corner in downtown Jacksonville: The endangered Laura Street Trio.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-nov-abandoned-jacksonville-the-laura-street-trio

ricker

Re: Abandoned Jacksonville: The Laura Street Trio
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 04:50:22 AM »
So I gather it would now be a fine time to summon the rallying cry of the friends of save old PS#4 Annie Lytle, fire station #5, the old Ambassador Hotel;
Folks from RAP, LAPS, the non demolitionists from Springfield, the streetcar enthusiasts

And announce our support!

Contact your councilpersons' assistants.first with much patience respect.while conveying a strong sense of urgency.
BE EXTREMELY POLITE no MATTER HOW LONG YOURE PLACED ON HOLD!
EMAIL your representative
They work.for us!
Happily so i.might add if you've got a great one or two!!
;)       
We may hear and read that this city is broke- but it could sneeze 200k taxcredit on the finest of handkerchiefs ;/

Its worth the time and trouble to reach out to any redeveloper of hostoric structures,  as Jax, our bland home, NEEDS these spaces to come ALIVE again.
Our city could become an attractive destination to travel to from abroad, visit local family. And friends could like our DownTown SSOO much, Viola! They STAY!

Money.sucks.
But we need these projects to wrap.
That celebration cannot happen until a groundbreaking.
That cannot happen without financing.
None of these can happen with out YOU ALL!

Please.take.the.time to.find out who you council.district Rep.is.
Call.630-2489
Give your name and Address and you then ask who is my city councilperson??

Ask to be patched through to his or her office and/or assistant.
If that person is not available, leave a very brief message speaking slowly and PLAINLY.
Ask.for.the direct line into his or assistants desk and for the appropriate email addresses to both.

Speaking from experience,  you will get a call back and emails answered.

But, like prayer_ the answers aren't always what you figured originally or even. On your timeline. Necessarily

The only way to.keep residents here in our core and happy and to symbiotic ally sustain the sprawl if we stop such errant pave the globe mmindset, is to draw quality folks back into our ghostdowndowntown by salvaging the physical lay of the land set before us.

The city CAN oneday soon stop leaking money like a siv but some work must be prioritized and these are.some of the pojects I.dream.of.

acme54321

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 05:50:25 AM »
Does anyone know the terms of this $5M tax credit?  Would the funds be given to the developer from the city, or would this just be purely in the form of tax breaks that the developer wouldn't have to pay?

Whose hands is this in now, the city?  Is the developer still on board? 

billy

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 06:31:57 AM »
What is the actual current status of the proposed deal?

ben says

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 07:33:05 AM »
Whoever remodels this place, please keep the original bank vault intact. Anyone whose been to Starbucks on King Street in Charleston knows how great that finish can look.
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 08:47:17 AM »
I think the last that has been reported on this was this past June:

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2011/06/21/laura-street-trio-developers-plead.html

The Atkins Group/Linea LLC presented to Brown's transition team and met preliminarily with the JEDC. They said they were negotiating the purchase of the Trio and the Barnett Building from the owner and wanted $5 million in incentives to move forward with phase I of the restoration.

The incentives would be "historic tax credits and new market tax credits." The company would not receive them until completing this phase of the project and having it approved by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

The Atkins Group is in with Capital City Partners of Tallahassee, who successfully restored Hotel Duval in downtown Tally. I've been there and it's very nice and evidently successful.

However, as of that time they had not made a formal proposal to JEDC or anyone else, and nothing more has been reported since. If anyone knows anything, please share.

Awesome pics, btw. These buildings have a ton of potential; hopefully they can be saved.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

johnny_simpatico

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 08:54:18 AM »
Interesting that these buildings are now commonly referred to as a "trio."  They were built over a period of years by different builders and for different owners.  I would suppose they qualify as a trio because everything around them has either been demolished or replaced with parking garages.  I'm not so sure it's wise to put all three eggs (plus the Barnett Building) into one basket.  Jacksonville has seen that approach fail in the past decade.  Since they really are three discrete buildings, and since there is more risk involved with a mega-project, wouldn't it be smarter to go with an incremental approach, nibbling away with the easiest project first?

vicupstate

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 08:57:10 AM »
This is a do or die project for the DT Northbank, IMO.  If the public/private sector cannot pull off this project given it's excellent location and potential, then it is hard to see the Ambassador, Lytle School, Riverside Fire Station,  the Ford plant, etc. seeing a rebirth when these buildings don't.       

I hope they can be saved before time and the elements cause too much deterioation. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

redglittercoffin

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 09:11:54 AM »
Apple could turn that bank into an amazing looking retail store.
...I just need one last nail

wsansewjs

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 09:14:34 AM »
Wow, these buildings are built like tanks! I betcha they will outlive the Freedom Tower.

-Josh
"When I take over JTA, the PCT'S will become artificial reefs and thus serve a REAL purpose. - OCKLAWAHA"

"Stephen intends on running for office in the next election (2014)." - Stephen Dare

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 09:49:18 AM »
5 mil? Really?
What was the cost to put the street in front of the courthouse?
What was the overspending on the transportation hub?
What does the 9B project cost?
etc etc
If the Brown administration keeps their word, this to me would be one of the first projects Brown should conquer.  No area in downtown is so centralized as the trio to the fabric. 

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 09:49:55 AM »
but, we are quickly running out of time!

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 09:53:15 AM »
I agree this is a must do project for the CBD. As far as I am concerned the new administration should be all over this and pushing it into over drive.

hightowerlover

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 09:55:14 AM »
yeah, $5 Million doesn't sound like much... but Jacksonville really doesn't need any more unfilled/unsellable condos on the market right now

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 09:58:54 AM »
5 mil? Really?
What was the cost to put the street in front of the courthouse?

Would have been around $1 million, after pedestrian upgrades were added

What was the overspending on the transportation hub?

I think the highest it was priced at was $180 million.  Peer cities have been putting up similar hubs as low as $30 million.

What does the 9B project cost?

In the range of $150 million.

If the Brown administration keeps their word, this to me would be one of the first projects Brown should conquer.  No area in downtown is so centralized as the trio to the fabric.

This would be a great place to start.  It's much easier and affordable than a new convention center would be.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali