Author Topic: The Riverside Hospital Foundation: Lasting Legacy  (Read 955 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The Riverside Hospital Foundation: Lasting Legacy
« on: November 16, 2011, 03:18:53 AM »
The Riverside Hospital Foundation: Lasting Legacy

Preserving the legacy of a historic Jacksonville hospital is the core mark of the Riverside Hospital Foundation. Metro Jacksonville tells the history of the fond institution and how the organization is supporting premiere healthcare in Northeast Florida in its memory.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-nov-the-riverside-hospital-foundation-lasting-legacy

dougskiles

Re: The Riverside Hospital Foundation: Lasting Legacy
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 07:29:59 PM »
History that I did not know - thanks for the article.  According to Wikipedia, St Vincent's started in 1916 - which means the two operated successfully for several decades very close to each other.  I wonder why one survived and the other did not?

rcmmngs

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 04:24:26 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my memory tells me Riverside Hospital was bought during the time that St. Vincent's and Baptist Hospitals were aligned.  Riverside never was near the physical size of St. Vincents, and those nuns have a lot of money  :)

suburbanite

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 12:12:28 AM »
Riverside Hospital obviously has a long history in the area. Upon it's sale however, I recall RAP (Riverside-Avondale Preservation) was only too happy to have the facility demolished and redeveloped to "match the character and scale of the community". It was felt the structure was too large for the area, as I recall. When the retail center was built to replace it, the anchor tenant, Publix, built a smaller than usual (by modern standards) grocery store, to satisfy preservationist's demands. Yet the monstrosity across Margaret Street (1661 Riverside), built just a few years ago, is considered "neighborhood friendly". Go figure. Must be because of the architectural "style". Real history, the hospital, had a modern look that is anathema to our local house-huggers. Yet, the redevelopment of the area is very nice.

David

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 01:31:39 AM »
Great article. My mother put in nearly 30 years at this hospital, it will bring her happiness to see it remembered.