Author Topic: San Marco Station Project Takes Shape  (Read 18183 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
San Marco Station Project Takes Shape
« on: November 14, 2011, 03:34:26 AM »
San Marco Station Project Takes Shape

Anchored by Panera Bread, Ashco, Inc.'s San Marco Train Station may be Jacksonville's latest infill development that was positively impacted by the developer and community working together.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-nov-san-marco-station-project-takes-shape

Noone

Re: San Marco Station Project Takes Shape
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:01:21 AM »
Now this partnership will raise the dough of all involved. Great project. Nice article Doug.

acme54321

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 07:55:42 AM »
Hopefully this does well.  It would be great to see this project as a catalyst for the reviatalization of that area of Hendricks.

Noone

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 08:11:41 AM »
Just curious. But being next to the railroad tracks what is the potential that an additional track can serve as a future Amtrack Bike car. Motorcycle car, parking area?

If the plan is a railroad museum. Kim Delaney who gave a presentation at the Prime Osborn center and the benefits of booking conventions with Amtrack and the opportunity for people to travel long distances and bring their bikes or cycles and all Amtrack has to do is add that Railroad car. Has this been part of any of the discussions?

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
Hats off to Doug Skiles for saving the building AND for working on a solution that keeps the pedestrian context of the street intact. 

There are quite a bit of adaptive reuse buildings on that block now(Burdette, Basil, Tropical Smoothie, the residential lofts), it would have been ashame to destroy one of the few remaining city of south jax buildings. 

Bativac

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 08:18:12 AM »
Man it'd be great to have Panera back in San Marco.

ben says

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 08:33:49 AM »
Gorgeous building.
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Captain Zissou

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 09:18:43 AM »
This will be one of those projects that makes all of the brochures and advertisements for Jacksonville for many years to come.  Our city will see that when smart planning and the end user are kept in mind, you can create a space that truly enriches the community around it.  A huge congratulations to Doug Skiles and everyone involved.

Also, I have heard that Aardwolf Brewery will be going in across the street at the other brick building south of the railroad tracks.  PeeJayEss may be able to shed more light on that matter.  The brewery already has financing and has done much of the design work for the space.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:26:11 AM »
^Nice!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »
Please say you're keeping the old spiral staircase!

This should be a fantastic addition to the corridor.

dougsandiego

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 09:37:20 AM »
A wonderful example of what can happen when the community becomes involved in creating their own future. Congratulations!

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 09:46:01 AM »
Let me add my congratulations to the chorus.  Very excited and will spend some money at that Panera.
Lenny Smash

dougskiles

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 10:33:43 AM »
Also, I have heard that Aardwolf Brewery will be going in across the street at the other brick building south of the railroad tracks.  PeeJayEss may be able to shed more light on that matter.  The brewery already has financing and has done much of the design work for the space.

I heard that too.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

urbaknight

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 11:26:14 AM »
Once this is all finished and about six months to a year after that, there should be a followup article (hopefully a success story) to encourage this type of development to occur all over JAX and to abandon the typical carcentric crap that we're currently plagued with.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 11:53:22 AM »
Excellent work, Doug. You do amazing work for our neighborhood.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?