Author Topic: Monroe Street: Do The Right Thing  (Read 8121 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Monroe Street: Do The Right Thing
« on: October 25, 2011, 03:21:50 AM »
Monroe Street: Do The Right Thing

This evening, the Jacksonville City Council will officially decide to construct a new street and call it Monroe or to save taxpayers possibly $1 million.  Here are five reasons why Council members on the fence should not support forcing a new street into the courthouse site.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-oct-monroe-street-do-the-right-thing

Actionville

Re: Monroe Street: Do The Right Thing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:57:14 AM »
Is there any legitimate argument in favor of building that street?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 08:25:43 AM »
The strongest arguments are making Monroe an auto arterial connecting I-95 to the Hart Bridge, "keeping the street grid intact", and  keeping council's promise to keep Monroe Street open. However, that pledge was broken in 2008 when council approved placing the courthouse on top of it. I don't believe these reasons are worth spending an extra million in taxpayer dollars,  endangering 500,000 annual pedestrians and undermining existing downtown development.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:18:16 AM »
I spoke with Redman the other day. He seemed confident that he will get the votes he needs. We must keep emailing and calling them.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 09:26:22 AM »
Today is the day.  Hopefully, things will go the right way.  A well designed space at the courthouse's entrance would be a huge accomplishment in the effort to revitalize downtown.  It's also one of the few major physical public improvements that could be completed within the next year or so.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

hightowerlover

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:36:40 AM »
If they would just make Duval and Adams Streets two-way I don't think anyone would gripe about the street missing.  I don't know why we need expressways through the core anyways.

wsansewjs

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 09:51:06 AM »
If someone can play the National Security card, then the council will not vote to put a street in front of the "MEGA OBNOXIOUS" courthouse.

-Josh
"When I take over JTA, the PCT'S will become artificial reefs and thus serve a REAL purpose. - OCKLAWAHA"

"Stephen intends on running for office in the next election (2014)." - Stephen Dare

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 09:57:10 AM »
It's been played.  The reality is, even if the street is rebuild, it would probably be shut down soon afterwards for security concerns.

At that point, we would have paid $1 million for a wide sidewalk designed for cars.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:59:58 AM by thelakelander »

Ralph W

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »
Don't forget the fence to keep people off the grass.

No Occupiers allowed. Peaceful assembly is a security risk.

Metal detectors and bomb sniffers will be installed at all entrances AND the parking garage.

SarahTay

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 10:10:34 AM »
Great article Ennis!!

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 11:29:31 AM »
Excellent, well-reasoned article, Ennis. Unfortunately this contention is more about bruised egos suffered by certain councilmen than doing the right thing by the city. Hopefully the smart move will prevail, the council has proven capable doing that on occasion.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Ralph W

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 12:12:05 PM »
I had to be downtown today and as luck would have it I parked on Adam St.

I walked Adam St. in front of the courthouse and I'm amazed that they would even consider adding a new Monroe St semi-circle and call $800,000 a good price. What are they thinking.

First, Adams St. has to be repaired and the drainage revamped to meet the finished height of the roadway.

Second, the squashed space left in front of the courthouse if Monroe is built is still going to need landscaping and all the amenities that go along with a fancy edifice. You can bet your last dollar that the people (judges) will not stand for a simple swatch of grass in front of THEIR monument.

And, third, but certainly not last, is what has been previously mentioned: the safety of the walking public. Cross walks, signals, traffic calming measures, etc.

Just the work needed on Adams will eat up that $800,000 in a New York minute.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »

Fa' la cosa giusta
Lenny Smash

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 05:04:53 PM »
Just the work needed on Adams will eat up that $800,000 in a New York minute.

Nobody has paid attention but the same has to be done to Broad, Duval and Pearl.

dougskiles

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 08:09:50 PM »
The suspense is killing me.  Stephen or Lake - are you at the council meeting right now?  When will it be on the agenda?