Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 3079453 times)

Charles Hunter

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #10800 on: November 18, 2022, 09:52:40 AM »
Good point, Lake.
"Colt Fever" was in August 1979
https://www.samsportsline.com/colt-fever-40-years-ago-was-the-start/

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10801 on: November 18, 2022, 03:48:04 PM »
Wow! 50k people for a free hot dog and soda?!:

But for the promise of a free soda and a hot dog, fifty thousand people showed up on a hot August evening at the Gator Bowl. The soda was donated, so were the hot dogs.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #10802 on: November 18, 2022, 04:25:36 PM »
Saw an interesting post on Reddit today.

The post suggested that First Baptist used to block alcohol sales in Jacksonville on Sundays, and it became an issue when the NFL was considering bringing an expansion team to Jacksonville. As the story in the post went, First Baptist had to concede to allow alcohol sales on Sunday in order for the city to have a shot of luring the NFL.

This was all far before my time in Jax, but I’d never heard this story before.

Any truth to it, or just an urban legend?

Probably an urban legend with a kernel of truth. It certainly wouldn't have only been First Baptist, as many churches in the past supported blue laws. This isn't just a Southern thing -- it happens in New England too -- but it does come across as backwards and anti-progress when you're looking at bringing in some big city project like an NFL team. City Hall wouldn't have to get FBC or any church to "concede" to allowing alcohol sales, but there likely was some schmoozing on City Hall's part to get the churches not to make a big deal of it.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #10803 on: November 18, 2022, 04:26:39 PM »
Wow! 50k people for a free hot dog and soda?!:

But for the promise of a free soda and a hot dog, fifty thousand people showed up on a hot August evening at the Gator Bowl. The soda was donated, so were the hot dogs.

Jake Godbold was a master cheerleader.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

jaxjags

« Reply #10804 on: November 18, 2022, 06:10:47 PM »
Not sure about FBC, but in 1990 you needed to cross "the ditch" to get beer, wine or liquor on Sunday. Interesting enough, 1990 New Year's Eve was on Sunday. City Council passed an ordinance allowing liquor sales on that Sunday. Then came the NFL and all changed.

Snaketoz

« Reply #10805 on: November 19, 2022, 09:39:42 AM »
^When did Jacksonville first start trying to attract an NFL team? Was it sometime in the 70s or 80s?

I'm not sure if it is true or not but it would be pretty easy to confirm by checking through the Times Union archives at the downtown public library's special collections department.
I know that when Irsay and Jake visited the Gator Bowl in front of a large crowd holding lighters, it was the 70s.  I was there and before I moved back to Jax from Fernandina in 1979.
“No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.”

Ken_FSU

« Reply #10806 on: November 19, 2022, 03:04:19 PM »
Here's the chapter from my book about Colt Fever night, if anyone is interested in learning more!

Totally forgot that beer wasn't even allowed at the event.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #10807 on: November 19, 2022, 03:04:37 PM »

Snaketoz

« Reply #10808 on: November 19, 2022, 05:32:09 PM »
I didn't know about the hot dogs. A friend of mine and I, on the spur of the moment got into my '72 VW Super Beatle and drove to the stadium.  Thanks for confirming my recollection of the year.  I think Jacksonville needs a department that sees to it that our citizens get a fever for our city like we had that night.  We can rise above this inferiority complex many have with great leadership.  Jake was a leader.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #10809 on: November 22, 2022, 11:23:40 AM »
Saw an interesting post on Reddit today.

The post suggested that First Baptist used to block alcohol sales in Jacksonville on Sundays, and it became an issue when the NFL was considering bringing an expansion team to Jacksonville. As the story in the post went, First Baptist had to concede to allow alcohol sales on Sunday in order for the city to have a shot of luring the NFL.

This was all far before my time in Jax, but I’d never heard this story before.

Any truth to it, or just an urban legend?

Duval County was dry on Sundays before the Jags, yes.  The NFL was a major impetus towards enacting that change. However, blue laws were beginning to change throughout Florida in the 1990s.  There are still various blue laws in various Florida counties that either restrict hours or outright ban the sale/service of alcohol on Sundays.  There are four counties that still do not allow package sales on Sunday at all. Until recently, Tampa (Hillsborough) still wouldn't serve alcohol until 11am on Sundays. 

FBC was not responsible for blue laws implementation. They are simply a convenient scapegoat to finger. The reality is that there were hundreds of organizations (religious and otherwise) that were responsible for blue laws being implemented throughout Florida (and really, throughout the country).   

Other stupid urban legends include but are not limited to: FBC doesn't hoard liquor licenses to restrict more bars from opening downtown; FBC didn't chase off UNF from opening their original campus Downtown; FBC didn't work to keep the Super Bowl from happening (in fact the open carry laws which already apply to portions of 'Downtown' were greatly extended during the Super Bowl); fill in the blank here _____.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #10810 on: November 22, 2022, 04:24:10 PM »
^When did Jacksonville first start trying to attract an NFL team? Was it sometime in the 70s or 80s?

I'm not sure if it is true or not but it would be pretty easy to confirm by checking through the Times Union archives at the downtown public library's special collections department.

I have the program from the AFL All Star game played in Jacksonville in January, 1969 (it was also played here in January, 1968).  It had record attendance to see Joe Namath who had just won the Super Bowl in a major upset.

In the program, Mayor Hans Tanzler wrote of Jacksonville's itch to recruit a pro football franchise (which is why Jacksonville pitched to host the All Star games to demonstrate our hunger for pro football).  You can be sure this started well before then so I would date our interest into at least the mid 1960's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Football_League_All-Star_game

http://www.remembertheafl.com/1967SeasonAFLAllStarGame.htm

http://www.remembertheafl.com/1968SeasonAFLAllStarGame.htm

« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 06:41:48 PM by jaxlongtimer »

Snaketoz

« Reply #10811 on: November 27, 2022, 05:09:27 PM »
Jaguars edge the Ravens.  Wow!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10812 on: November 28, 2022, 07:43:20 AM »
The team is making progress...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #10813 on: November 28, 2022, 08:49:56 PM »
Those final two drives of Trevor against the Ravens was the moment we've been waiting for from him:  Undaunted, ballsy, putting all the weight on his shoulders carrying the team to a comeback victory. It also says something about him that Coach Pederson had no hesitancy having him g or for the jugular with that 2 point conversion instead of playing it safe and going to overtime.

If he and the rest of the team can build upon this victory we will surely be a force to be reckoned with.

tufsu1

« Reply #10814 on: November 29, 2022, 07:35:02 PM »
Jaguars edge the Ravens.  Wow!

The Jags should pay me to attend - or the Ravens pay me not to attend....because, as a Ravens fan first, that's now 0-4 for me