Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 2542441 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #10575 on: November 29, 2021, 08:14:24 PM »
You don't know me
You don't know anything about me

Khan has been a shitty owner. Bad decision after bad decision. If the NFL was a real business he'd be bankrupt by now.  NO one has ever lost money on an NFL franchise.
I don't hate him. I hate what he's doing. 

Go back under the bridge please

Fyi... Khan doesn't even crack the top ten of worst NFL owners... but if you were knowledgeable at all you would know that... the Ford's habitually crack the top 3 in worst ownership everrrrrr....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/924542-nfl-power-rankings-the-five-worst-owners-in-the-league

https://www.ranker.com/list/worst-nfl-team-owners-of-all-time/ranker-nfl

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/ranking-the-nfl-s-11-worst-owners-01dmgbgdjyd0
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Josh

« Reply #10576 on: November 29, 2021, 08:20:34 PM »
Meyer's dream coaching job, Notre Dame, is about to open up.

I think we're looking at the Charlie Strong era.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10577 on: November 29, 2021, 08:52:07 PM »
Meyer's dream coaching job, Notre Dame, is about to open up.

I think we're looking at the Charlie Strong era.

Shocked Kelly is leaving but the Irish want no part of Meyer IMHO...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Charles Hunter

« Reply #10578 on: November 29, 2021, 10:20:47 PM »
You don't know me
You don't know anything about me

Khan has been a shitty owner. Bad decision after bad decision. If the NFL was a real business he'd be bankrupt by now.  NO one has ever lost money on an NFL franchise.
I don't hate him. I hate what he's doing. 

Go back under the bridge please

Fyi... Khan doesn't even crack the top ten of worst NFL owners... but if you were knowledgeable at all you would know that... the Ford's habitually crack the top 3 in worst ownership everrrrrr....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/924542-nfl-power-rankings-the-five-worst-owners-in-the-league

https://www.ranker.com/list/worst-nfl-team-owners-of-all-time/ranker-nfl

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/ranking-the-nfl-s-11-worst-owners-01dmgbgdjyd0

Interesting lists
The first one dates from Nov. 2011, the year Khan bought the team.

The second one, from 2020 has a companion list "Best Current Owners" and Khan is #15 on that one. Interestingly, Jerry Jones of Dallas is #6 on the Worst of All Time list, and #20 on the Best Current list.

The third list is from Jan. 2016.

Could it be that being in a small market, that Khan doesn't attract much attention outside of Jacksonville - for good or bad?  I don't think it can be argued that his hires have done well.

Being a retired numbers guy, I went to the statmuse site to look at the NFL records since 2011 https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/best-nfl-records-since-2011

Comparing the Jaguars with the Carolina Panthers, who came into the NFL at the same time, since 2011, we see:

Games Played
Jags  171  Panthers 172

Games Won
Jags 46    Panthers 86

Winning Percentage
Jags       26.9%    Rank 32
Panthers 50.3%    Rank 16

Points Per Game
Jags 18.3        Rank 32
Panthers 23.3  Rank 14

Points Allowed Per Game
Jags 24.8         Rank 3 
Panthers 23.0   Rank 15

Margin (Avg.)
Jags -6.5        Rank 32
Panthers 0.3  Rank 15

landfall

« Reply #10579 on: November 30, 2021, 06:05:04 AM »
I don't think Khan is a bad owner has such. He's donated a fair amount of money to local initiatives. He's trying to get things done Downtown. As far as the team goes they have spent some money in free agency too.

My main gripes are sticking with people long after their expiry date and also he needs to keep his geeky son the fuck away from team affairs.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10580 on: November 30, 2021, 06:25:03 AM »
The entire point about "worst owner" was to point out that the Ford family in Michigan sets the standard for franchise ineptitude. The Jaguars would have to continue as is for another 20 years to match the Fords...

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #10581 on: November 30, 2021, 08:20:24 AM »
The entire point about "worst owner" was to point out that the Ford family in Michigan sets the standard for franchise ineptitude. The Jaguars would have to continue as is for another 20 years to match the Fords...

The Ford Foundation is also not some new thing.  Its an estate planning vehicle to avoid taxation/transfer of family wealth that was started many generations before the current iteration of family ownership.  Philanthropy is nice, but lets not paint everything with such broad strokes of rose-colored paint.  Khan also has a foundation, but its an apples to oranges comparison to the Ford Foundation as Khan doesn't have the luxury of 75 years of endowment investment activities seeded from over a century of wealth created by one of the world's richest-ever companies.

MusicMan

« Reply #10582 on: November 30, 2021, 08:30:10 AM »
The NFL is designed with parity in mind. We've been one of the worst teams for a decade in spite of everything the NFL does to make the league competitive.  That's 100% on Khan.  My point about him being out of the "business" of football remains.  In most industries with a track record like the Jags, you would be out of business.   

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10583 on: November 30, 2021, 10:52:49 AM »
Sounds like an unprovable assumption…

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

Charles Hunter

« Reply #10585 on: November 30, 2021, 01:38:38 PM »
Thank you. That link gives further evidence that the Jags are worse under Khan than they were before he bought the team.
The link shows, over their entire life, have won 184 of 430 games for a winning percentage of 42.8%, ranking 30th out of 32 teams
Their record during the Khan years (begin 2011) is 46 wins out of 171 games, or 26.9%

Taking the Khan years out of their lifetime record gives 138 wins out of 259 games, for a winning percentage of 53.3%.  So, the Khan years are about half as good as the years before he bought the team.  If their early winning percentage continued to today, they would be #11, just below the Chiefs.  For what it's worth, in the overall standings, the Buccaneers are the worst with 40.1%.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #10586 on: November 30, 2021, 05:03:19 PM »
Yep... and Buccaneers have been at it for 30 more years?... nobody on earth claims the Glazers (or Fords) have been great owners... they have generally always been considered inept... on this side of Atlantic and that side.

Ya cannot fire the owner... and frankly it was Weaver who handed Khan a crappy franchise... he knew when to get out...

The Patriots were poster boys for ineptitude for years... my beloved Packers were positively awful when I was growing up... the Lions are still terrible... the Saints have been terrible for most of their existence ... the list is pretty endless

landfall

« Reply #10587 on: December 11, 2021, 06:49:24 PM »
https://www.nfl.com/news/tension-boiling-over-between-coach-urban-meyer-jaguars-players-staff

They need to end this sorry mess before any more damage is done. I get that Urban Meyer has never been an NFL HC but its just been a disaster from day 1.

Khan has hung onto people for far too long since he has taken over the team, we can't go through this again.

Snaketoz

« Reply #10588 on: December 12, 2021, 11:05:34 AM »
It seems the Jaguars are constantly "rebuilding".  They lose their better players, draft questionable players, and are a joke.  We deserve better.  Khan should keep Tony in the wrestling side of business and get a football person handling the Jags.

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #10589 on: December 12, 2021, 07:40:50 PM »
Powers and Principalities maybe...... Coulld it be the Jacksonville NFL  placement, spearheaded by a person at the State Attorney’s office basically minding his own business until selected for Mayor Race....NFL an action item.... was essentially haunted and destined to churn in this manner??