Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 2013458 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #10245 on: November 29, 2020, 06:03:03 PM »
New GM will fire Marrone...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

MusicMan

« Reply #10246 on: November 29, 2020, 08:30:03 PM »
It's all one year too late. New GM should have had the 12 2020 picks to begin building with.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #10247 on: December 01, 2020, 12:04:20 AM »
My take:  Caldwell was fired now to throw a bone to the public due to the push-back on Lot J vis a vis the Jags poor performance.  Khan is trying to show he is vested in the "quality" of the product the Jags are putting on the field as demanded by the Jag's fans. 

Why not clean house at the end of the season?  What's 5 more games at this point.  Will he hire a new GM any sooner?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10248 on: December 01, 2020, 09:12:16 AM »
My take:  Caldwell was fired now to throw a bone to the public due to the push-back on Lot J vis a vis the Jags poor performance.  Khan is trying to show he is vested in the "quality" of the product the Jags are putting on the field as demanded by the Jag's fans. 

Why not clean house at the end of the season?  What's 5 more games at this point.  Will he hire a new GM any sooner?

Maybe, but I don't quite think it goes that deep. I actually think this was a football move. Sure, Lamping was probably in his ear saying if the team was good this would be an easier sell but I think this came down to keeping up with the Joneses.

This year is looking like a record number of GM firings. The Jags were the 4th or 5th one already, and there's likely 3-4 more which is a tad high for a typical year (especially with that many already open).

I think they did it to get a jumpstart on candidates/not allow good candidates to get taken.

What will likely happen is the new GM will have say over the new coach, so I don't think Marrone is going to be here in '21.

To me the only advantage to dumping a coach mid-season is either if the team has quit on him (which hasn't happened), or you want to audition an assistant for the permanent job (which is unlikely). You're going to get very few coaching candidates to talk to you mid-season (mostly because if they have a job it isn't allowed). GM candidates on the other hand would be easier - there's a higher possibility of getting a good candidate that's not with a team right now, plus it's a little easier to have an off the record convo with a GM candidate vs. a coach.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #10249 on: December 01, 2020, 11:09:20 AM »
Maybe, but I don't quite think it goes that deep. I actually think this was a football move. Sure, Lamping was probably in his ear saying if the team was good this would be an easier sell but I think this came down to keeping up with the Joneses.

Agree, Steve.

I kid about throwing the taxpayers a bone before robbing the piggybank, but I do think the real reason for the timing of Caldwell's firing was pretty simple:

The Jags were eliminated from playoff contention on Sunday.

For all intents and purposes, the season objectively ended for the Jags following the loss.

To your point, we want to get a jump on finding our guy for rebuild #322, and we want him to have time to find his head coach too.

We need to jump now before someone else sweeps in and signs Tony Khan and Tony Boselli, ya know?

landfall

« Reply #10250 on: December 06, 2020, 01:53:40 PM »
I was about to post some positivity about Glennon and he throws a pick! The team might be fun to watch the rest of the year. Going forward theres weapons with Robinson and these receivers for a young QB.

Ken_FSU

« Reply #10251 on: December 06, 2020, 04:49:57 PM »
To your point, we want to get a jump on finding our guy for rebuild #322, and we want him to have time to find his head coach too.

We need to jump now before someone else sweeps in and signs Tony Khan and Tony Boselli, ya know?

Underrappreciated joke, but I DON'T NEED YOUR VALIDATION, JAXSON FORUM  ::)

marcuscnelson

• Gen Z - Tired of the status quo
« Reply #10252 on: December 06, 2020, 04:50:15 PM »
Ouch. At least it was close?
So, to the young people fighting in this movement for change, here is my charge: march in the streets, protest, run for school committee or city council or the state legislature. And win. - Ed Markey

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10253 on: December 06, 2020, 06:01:20 PM »
Well......the Fins won again! ;D
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Charles Hunter

« Reply #10254 on: December 06, 2020, 06:17:57 PM »
Ouch. At least it was close?

But the Jets managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, so still have the #1 Draft Pick.

landfall

« Reply #10255 on: December 20, 2020, 07:08:38 PM »
Pray this team can seal the deal in the last two games and land Trevor Lawrence.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #10256 on: December 20, 2020, 07:43:30 PM »
Jets won today. Jags would have the #1 pick from the "strength of schedule" tie-breaker (our is weaker than the Jets).

Ken_FSU

« Reply #10257 on: December 20, 2020, 08:45:20 PM »
Incredible day for Jags’ fans, but I’m gonna hold my excitement until Trevor Lawrence is actually suited up in a Jags uniform. Not sure a prospect has ever had this much leverage going into a draft. This franchise has to be the biggest dumpster fire in the NFL over the last decade. We’ve got no track record of developing a first round quarterback. The NFLPA has actively warned players to not come to Jacksonville. We’ve retained literally zero of our first round picks. O-line can’t protect an old woman crossing Bay Street from two JTA clown cars traveling 8 mph. Jets are a dumpster fire too, but at least they offer about twenty times the opportunity for building his brand and endorsement potential outside of football.

Call me a pessimist, but I think it’s 50/50 at best that he’d actually sign to play for the franchise in the state that it’s currently in.

Almost think the Jags would need to try to throw $10 million a season and personnel decisions to Dabo to lock it in.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 08:46:59 PM by Ken_FSU »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10258 on: December 20, 2020, 11:06:52 PM »
Lol so the Minshew mania experiment is over?!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Snaketoz

« Reply #10259 on: December 21, 2020, 07:45:16 AM »
If the past is any indication of the Jaguar's pick, they may stick with Minshew and opt for a punter or kicker.