Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1737344 times)

Papa33

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #10440 on: February 05, 2020, 02:51:36 PM »
As a casual Jags fan who would like them to remain in Jacksonville, I'd like to what, if any, debate occurred at the league office on this?  The impression I get is that the NFL views Jags fans as unimportant, otherwise, this would never have been allowed.

Snaketoz

« Reply #10441 on: February 05, 2020, 08:54:44 PM »
The Jaguars are irrelevant in America and it's not the fan's fault, it's our owner.  He is a business man, not a NFL football fan.  He could care less about Jacksonville.  He cares about his wallet.  You can go for days looking at NFL news sites and never see a mention of Jacksonville.  Kahn knows cricket and Kahn knows dollars.  He'll make all he can off the Jaguars and the city and move on to the next big thing.  Tearing down the Hart access roads will be a disaster if Lot J doesn't get done.  Let him blink first for a change.  I'm tired of the poor little pitiful billionaire.  Let's elect a mayor and council that love Jacksonville and want what's best for us...JUST ONCE.  We need leadership on the Jags and in city hall. Stop the blackmailing.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #10442 on: February 26, 2020, 08:10:33 AM »
Interesting details coming out about the new CBA. A cap on International games should quell some of the Jags fans.

Kerry

« Reply #10443 on: February 26, 2020, 03:43:12 PM »
Interesting details coming out about the new CBA. A cap on International games should quell some of the Jags fans.

This could go multiple ways.  A reduction in London games could make the Jags the only game in town if the Jags keep playing there.  At the same time, according to the Jags front office, they need more games in London, not less, so if the Jags can't play there how long can they survive in Jax?
Third Place

Snaketoz

« Reply #10444 on: February 26, 2020, 05:38:33 PM »

This could go multiple ways.  A reduction in London games could make the Jags the only game in town if the Jags keep playing there.  At the same time, according to the Jags front office, they need more games in London, not less, so if the Jags can't play there how long can they survive in Jax?
The same way they survive in Cincy, Buffalo, Tampa, Miami, and others.  However, it may take a different owner.  I think he is a bad owner.  Wish we had a local ownership group who could buy him out.  I wonder if it's happening quietly in the background.  Hope so.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #10445 on: February 29, 2020, 12:21:21 PM »
Welp...

Decision's been made - there will be ZERO renewals at the NRW household.

Last year was $2,160 for 2 seats and $345 for parking.

This year:
I save $240 on preseason games - which I don't go to anyhow, but fine.
I lose another reg season game in the middle of season - so my new cost should be $1,680.  But WAIT: there's more!

They decided to put a premium on the Bears & Steelers game so that brings my total back up to $1,836. 

Based on the games that I consider MUST ATTEND (I've gone to all of them anyhow, but the apathy grew strong last year) - Opening day and the 3 division games. 

Guess who can't guarantee that they won't schedule a division game (or two) in London?  How'd that work for us last year?

Over it Jags.  You've allowed shitty optics and $156 to convince me to forego the commitment and hit the games I want on the secondary. 

I'll use some of those savings to make sure I have the right clothes when I go to Lambeau field this year. 

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #10446 on: February 29, 2020, 03:36:11 PM »

This year:
I lose another reg season game in the middle of season - so my new cost should be $1,680.  But WAIT: there's more!

They decided to put a premium on the Bears & Steelers game so that brings my total back up to $1,836. 

I'm not defending this, but this is exactly what they said they were going to do in the prior announcements.  Reduce the price 50% on preseason games, variable price regular season games with a premium price on high-demand games, net season ticket holder invoice reduction 15%.  A lot of Jag fans online seemingly only saw the 50% preseason part and are casting this as a bait and switch.  It's yet more bad optics, but it's exactly what was foretold.  They didn't conceal it.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Snaketoz

« Reply #10447 on: February 29, 2020, 05:31:56 PM »
I must admit I used to ignore the boo-birds who said that ownership wants to move the Jags, but now I think they maybe correct.  This organization has to be the most screwed-up outfit ever.  Do they ever make anything better for the fans?  Sure, every diehard football fan wants pools at the stadium and the chance to buy tickets to London each year, but other than that, what are they doing other than pissing everyone off?  Have I missed any of Shad's generous gifts to Jacksonville?  Has he cured crime, homelessness, or done anything other than ask for us to give to him?  We get the bill, he gets to double his money on the Jags.  I was in the Gator Bowl for Colt fever, I was an early season ticket owner, and a lifetime resident of Jacksonville and a proponent for getting an NFL team.  Now, I could care less if the leave for London or Karachi.  I would however buy a ticket for a chance to kick ole Shad right square in the ass.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #10448 on: February 29, 2020, 07:21:50 PM »
I'm not defending this, but this is exactly what they said they were going to do in the prior announcements.  Reduce the price 50% on preseason games, variable price regular season games with a premium price on high-demand games, net season ticket holder invoice reduction 15%.  A lot of Jag fans online seemingly only saw the 50% preseason part and are casting this as a bait and switch.  It's yet more bad optics, but it's exactly what was foretold.  They didn't conceal it.

I will give you the pre-season - they did what they said.

I will also say that they used a bit of wordplay on the other that is completely disingenious.

So for below, the cost of the preseason isn't even factored in:

Fine, reduce my invoice by 15% - you effectively did that by removing a game off of the schedule. 1/7=14.28%
So based on the remaining 6 games, I'm left with a 5% discount on regular season games and one less game, so effectively, a 9% increase in ticket cost from last year. 

I'm not sure how you can spin this in a positive light. 

But, yes.  Yes they did decrease my yearly invoice by 15% on the dot.

Here's the worse part, since we're taking them at the word....  We could sell out every game and it wouldn't bring the local revenue up to where it needs to be.  If that's the case - why are they fucking over the STH's?  Because for the most part, we've paid our dues, accepted well below mediocrity, wash, rinse, repeat. 

What's the difference this year?  They took away another home game, told us we didn't matter (with regard to local revenue) and quite honestly, once my apathy set in last year (Ramsey fiasco, the ongoing Yan fiasco, the ongoing Foles disaster....) I'm over the commitment. 

I'll still go to games - just when I want to and at a fraction of the cost (if TM/SH pricing from last year is any indication - I paid $50 at game time to TM to get into the East Club to hang out with some people I met tailgating.  Face value of the ticket in hand was $120)
I'll still go to away games - Lambeau and Indy on deck
But I will let my voice be heard in the ways that the "I'll buy a ticket when...." crowd could only hope for. 

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Kerry

« Reply #10449 on: March 01, 2020, 09:23:00 AM »
...and still no Lot J formal announcement.
Third Place

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #10450 on: March 01, 2020, 03:27:45 PM »
Welp...

Decision's been made - there will be ZERO renewals at the NRW household.

This year:

Based on the games that I consider MUST ATTEND (I've gone to all of them anyhow, but the apathy grew strong last year) - Opening day and the 3 division games. 

Guess who can't guarantee that they won't schedule a division game (or two) in London?  How'd that work for us last year?

Over it Jags.  You've allowed shitty optics and $156 to convince me to forego the commitment and hit the games I want on the secondary. 

I'll use some of those savings to make sure I have the right clothes when I go to Lambeau field this year. 

Woah. If you are not renewing, I have to think that is an ominous sign for ticket sales this year.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #10451 on: March 01, 2020, 08:00:15 PM »
Woah. If you are not renewing, I have to think that is an ominous sign for ticket sales this year.

I know quite a few people who feel the same way and are basically making the same move.  I don't blame the people who are sticking around, but I had my own personal line in the sand and when they crossed it, that was it.

What Dave said is true - they literally told us what to expect - but the reality of it and the second game gone so quickly was kind of the wake-up call that I'm pretty sure they don't want people like myself to have.  A decade long die-hard fan that's now not so die-hard. 

If you sit around a group of people or friends every game, then I totally get why you wouldn't want to give up your tix.  I'm not one of those people.   Most of my good friends don't even go to the games, and 90% of the people in my section have left by halftime. 

But I did exactly what I told you I was going to do, and after talking to my rep and them letting me know that this was kind of it, that they would have some 'special member only' events and such, but couldn't elaborate, and that they don't know which games are going to be played in London, but they'll refund me if it's divisional games (I didn't ask for them so specify whether just the games or the entire season.  Thought about it after I hung up).  So that was it - you're raising prices, taking away more games and overcharging ME for games that the STEELER fans will want to come and see.

And the sting of week 17, getting a much better seat for more than half the price, coupled with not giving a fuck about the people I sit around, save the one that comes with me every game (she's def a keeper), led me down the path of playing ticket roulette next year.  But I'm sure if I compare my actual 2020 'Invoice' with what the Jags offered, I've got a feeling that it will be in the neighborhood of $400-600 instead of $1,800 - not including GB and Indy, obv.
-Douglas Adams

MusicMan

« Reply #10452 on: March 02, 2020, 08:39:41 AM »
Looks like Ngakoue wants out too.

This franchise is a disaster. I think that's a fair assessment.

By the way, if you go just to watch football you can join me in 411. Going through a local non profit, I am getting tickets for $45.  I love the view and it's a lot breezier up there.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #10453 on: March 02, 2020, 11:35:54 AM »

I know quite a few people who feel the same way and are basically making the same move.  I don't blame the people who are sticking around, but I had my own personal line in the sand and when they crossed it, that was it.

What Dave said is true - they literally told us what to expect - but the reality of it and the second game gone so quickly was kind of the wake-up call that I'm pretty sure they don't want people like myself to have.  A decade long die-hard fan that's now not so die-hard. 

If you sit around a group of people or friends every game, then I totally get why you wouldn't want to give up your tix.  I'm not one of those people.   Most of my good friends don't even go to the games, and 90% of the people in my section have left by halftime. 

But I did exactly what I told you I was going to do, and after talking to my rep and them letting me know that this was kind of it, that they would have some 'special member only' events and such, but couldn't elaborate, and that they don't know which games are going to be played in London, but they'll refund me if it's divisional games (I didn't ask for them so specify whether just the games or the entire season.  Thought about it after I hung up).  So that was it - you're raising prices, taking away more games and overcharging ME for games that the STEELER fans will want to come and see.

And the sting of week 17, getting a much better seat for more than half the price, coupled with not giving a fuck about the people I sit around, save the one that comes with me every game (she's def a keeper), led me down the path of playing ticket roulette next year.  But I'm sure if I compare my actual 2020 'Invoice' with what the Jags offered, I've got a feeling that it will be in the neighborhood of $400-600 instead of $1,800 - not including GB and Indy, obv.

Sounds like you have reached exactly the same conclusion as we did last year so it may not matter but just in case you change your mind, I didn’t get the substantial reduction offers until later in the renewal window and went up the food chain. Once again, we weren’t in the boating world traveler...err..peasant  section so maybe that renewal rate was a higher %.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #10454 on: March 02, 2020, 05:26:54 PM »
Sounds like you have reached exactly the same conclusion as we did last year so it may not matter but just in case you change your mind, I didn’t get the substantial reduction offers until later in the renewal window and went up the food chain.

I can't say that I'll will or won't change my mind, but we'll see as actual football starts picking up steam with training camps and what not. 

Right now it's a no-brainer, kind of like NY resolutions on Jan 6th....   
-Douglas Adams