Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1698370 times)

jaxjags

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #10305 on: December 04, 2019, 11:58:07 PM »
I think Shad needs to have dinner with Bill Parcels and get some good football advice (obviously not in JAX as there are no good private clubs).

Kerry

« Reply #10306 on: December 05, 2019, 09:07:01 AM »
Maybe the Jags should go all-in on Moneyball and sign the best 53 players they can find to the league minimum.  How much worse could they be?
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10307 on: December 05, 2019, 09:09:30 AM »
I think Shad needs to have dinner with Bill Parcels and get some good football advice (obviously not in JAX as there are no good private clubs).

Meh....Bill Parcells was an excellent coach but a TERRIBLE administrator. He went to the Dolphins in a similar role as Coughlin and left the place way worse than when he got there.

Papa33

« Reply #10308 on: December 05, 2019, 09:38:44 AM »

Meh....Bill Parcells was an excellent coach but a TERRIBLE administrator. He went to the Dolphins in a similar role as Coughlin and left the place way worse than when he got there.
Someone else then.  I don't know how Dave Caldwell has kept his job this long.  That's on the Shad K.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10309 on: December 05, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »

Lol, the Dolphins are still trying to recover which is why everything was literally blown up this past off season.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

RattlerGator

« Reply #10310 on: December 06, 2019, 08:58:01 AM »
Incredibly disappointing season, to say the least.

I think Dave has done a good job, given the desired direction by management. That is what has to change, IMHO. The modern game doesn't suit Tom Coughlin, Shad and Tony have to realize that by now. These football millionaires require a different approach. And I don't think Marrone is the guy, either. This plodding shiznit drives me freaking crazy and Doug doesn't have an OL that suits Fournette.

We need a new coach, and he either needs to be offensive oriented -- and by that I mean QB focus or WR focus -- or have a proven coordinator who is.

I'm not so bent out of shape over the money we're spending on Foles because I look at it as a position group. The money we're spending on QB 1 + QB 2 probably isn't outrageous when compared with the rest of the League. I like Minshew and if Foles is going to be an expensive mentor, we have another year to let that play out IMHO.

I'm glad as hell we got rid of Jalen's punk ass. *No* DB in the NFL is a shut-down corner in the modern game. They don't exist because they *can't* exist. Deion pumped this fool boy up so damn much he (along with many in this town) thinks he's something he absolutely is not. Good riddance.

And Telvin? Sweet Jesus.

Now, about Lot J . . . .

JaxAvondale

« Reply #10311 on: December 06, 2019, 09:03:09 AM »
I'm not so bent out of shape over the money we're spending on Foles because I look at it as a position group. The money we're spending on QB 1 + QB 2 probably isn't outrageous when compared with the rest of the League. I like Minshew and if Foles is going to be an expensive mentor, we have another year to let that play out IMHO.

Agreed!

I-10east

« Reply #10312 on: December 06, 2019, 10:33:36 AM »
Good take on the Jags RG. Caldwell gets alot of heat for picking Taven Bryan in the first round (2018), but besides that, he's been pretty solid drafting players as of late. First I was like "Khan, get rid of everyone at the top brass" now I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Caldwell (Coughlin and Marrone are must gos). 

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10313 on: December 06, 2019, 11:58:38 AM »
Here’s my thing: I really don’t have an issue with any one move....in a box. The Foles signing has gone fantastically bad but there wasn’t an analyst in the league that would have predicted it would have gone this bad.

The issue isn’t any one move. It’s all of them. Lately the drafts have looked okay, but the free agent signings have been poor the last couple years. Every organization makes some mistakes, they’ve made too many.

Hays Carlyon on 1010xl said it best: Baseball is 162 games. Every team will win 50 and lose 50 of them. The difference is really in 62 games...good teams win most of them, bad teams lose most of them. We’ve lost too many of those 62 games, so to speak.

Snaketoz

« Reply #10314 on: December 07, 2019, 08:13:03 AM »
Here’s my thing: I really don’t have an issue with any one move....in a box. The Foles signing has gone fantastically bad but there wasn’t an analyst in the league that would have predicted it would have gone this bad.

The issue isn’t any one move. It’s all of them. Lately the drafts have looked okay, but the free agent signings have been poor the last couple years. Every organization makes some mistakes, they’ve made too many.

Hays Carlyon on 1010xl said it best: Baseball is 162 games. Every team will win 50 and lose 50 of them. The difference is really in 62 games...good teams win most of them, bad teams lose most of them. We’ve lost too many of those 62 games, so to speak.
I agree with your Foles take.  I think it shows the difference a good offensive line makes.  When Foles played with the Eagles he had a much better line to protect him.  It just shows how great many QBs that played with bad teams were.  Foles is not a scrambler.  The only way a QB can survive with the Jag's offensive line is to be a scrambler.  I wonder how great some of the QBs that played on poor teams could have been with a good offensive line.  Archie Manning comes to mind.

MusicMan

« Reply #10315 on: December 07, 2019, 12:41:52 PM »
I'm waiting on SMM to write "Doughnut Ball: How the Patriots Completely Dominate the Competition in a League designed for Parity."

The Patriots have not had a Top 10 draft choice in how many seasons?  How is it possible they are SO MUCH BETTER than all these other franchises that have the exact same amount of money to spend on their team? Answer that question, my friends, and you will find the secret to the Doughnut Ball.

Kerry

« Reply #10316 on: December 07, 2019, 01:53:40 PM »
I can't speak for the rest of the teams but the Jags always seem like they are trying to find the hidden gem quarterback that came from a no-name or an also-ran Power 5 university that put up good numbers against crappy opponents for a season or two.  Even Minshew is really from East Carolina.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10317 on: December 07, 2019, 03:28:21 PM »
I can't speak for the rest of the teams but the Jags always seem like they are trying to find the hidden gem quarterback that came from a no-name or an also-ran Power 5 university that put up good numbers against crappy opponents for a season or two.  Even Minshew is really from East Carolina.

Yea, but they took him in the 6th round and gave him a contract worth peanuts. The 5-7 rounds are the times to take those risks; I had no issue with that move. Besides, he wasn’t expected to have to play this year. They knew he’d be a project, and they took a flier on him to see if he could be something more in 2-3 years. All teams do that.

There have been plenty of bad moves by this front office. The Foles and Minshew signings weren’t ones that I’d call bad. I’m plenty mad about the lines, Tight End, Safety, and Linebacker.

Kerry

« Reply #10318 on: December 07, 2019, 09:31:22 PM »
The Jags don't need to be taking any personnel risks....period.  They don't have the luxury to do that because they don't have any sure things.  Their like the gambling addict that keeps betting on the long-shots hoping for the huge payoff, but like inn real life, they payoff never comes.
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10319 on: December 08, 2019, 09:26:02 AM »
The Jags don't need to be taking any personnel risks....period.  They don't have the luxury to do that because they don't have any sure things.  Their like the gambling addict that keeps betting on the long-shots hoping for the huge payoff, but like inn real life, they payoff never comes.

Every single pick carries risk, especially in rounds 5-7. If there wasn’t risk, they wouldn’t still be around in round 5.