Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1674169 times)

MusicMan

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #10230 on: November 11, 2019, 09:58:35 PM »
Watching San Fran tonight, many consider them the best or second best in the NFL his season. They were awful the past 2 years, so I guess there is hope for the Jags.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #10231 on: November 17, 2019, 12:55:55 PM »
Ok, I am not going to call this a must win...but it is close. Especially since I think next week is the tougher game.

Hopefully, I am a little better than my Texans prediction.

Not confident enough to wager but Jags by double digits.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10232 on: November 17, 2019, 01:13:47 PM »
It's a must win. Lose this and there is little room for error the rest of the season.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #10233 on: November 17, 2019, 02:13:58 PM »
It's a must win. Lose this and there is little room for error the rest of the season.

But if a loss still leaves any room for error, how can it be considered a “must”? :)

On a related note, I am willing to take all wagers from anyone willing to bet that 10-6 does not make the playoffs in the AFC.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #10234 on: November 17, 2019, 03:46:17 PM »

Not confident enough to wager but Jags by double digits.

Nailed it.

MusicMan

« Reply #10235 on: November 17, 2019, 03:54:12 PM »
Getting our asses whipped today.

I don't understand all the talk about the stadium. If the team was a consistent winner they jags could pretty much do whatever they want. BUT THEY ARE NOT. They are a consistent loser. Please someone count all the winning seasons in the last 12 years. I get: 1

I feel like the Jags are saying. "if we had a brand new stadium the team would start winning and we could host a playoff game."
Put a winner on the field and nobody cares about the damn video boards. The place will be rocking, and the concessions and other game day related revenue would soar. Every income stream would increase with a winner on the field. We do not have an elite defense OR offense.

jaxjags

« Reply #10236 on: November 17, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »
AKA: January 2000 Jaguars 63 Dolphins 7. Full rocking stadium 2 hours before kick-off. And that was the 72,000 fans days, with non existent scoreboards and PA system.

I-10east

« Reply #10237 on: November 17, 2019, 08:48:10 PM »
I don't even wanna talk about that debacle of a game in Indy. I understand from Khan's point of view wanting to enhance the stadium experience but like others said, we really need a winning product on the field, that's the number one priority.

I really roll my eyes when Khan says (paraphrased) "There isn't (seemingly) a market for football in Jax". Is there a market for football in Tampa? or Cincinnati? or Washington? Those NFL teams also have been on some noticeable attendance slumps (with TB and CIN being worst than JAX, and WASH worse than JAX stadium percentage-wise). Those other owners aren't so short-fused with their subpar teams like our owner is....

The only owner that should be 'worrying about that state of the franchise in a city" as a number one priority should be Dean Spanos in LA.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 04:57:35 PM by I-10east »

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #10238 on: November 18, 2019, 09:21:29 AM »
The Good news: 10-6 has a decent shot to win the division and a great shot at WC based upon the remaining schedules.

The Bad news: The Jags are not good.

In other news: The Pats clinched their 19th straight winning season. Parity, baby!

copperfiend

« Reply #10239 on: November 18, 2019, 09:39:12 AM »
This season is on life support after yesterday's debacle. The team appears headed for another 5 or 6 win season.

The biggest mistake that Khan could make it to have another passive rebuild. He has to show a real commitment to winning. Something he has not done in his time as owner.

If the season continues the way it looks now, they need to clean house. Fire Marrone, fire Caldwell, fire Coughlin. They waited way too long to fire Bradley. And instead of bringing in a new voice, they just promoted one of his assistants. And despite a putrid record, Caldwell still has a job.

The team is 50 games below .500 with Khan as owner, at 36-86. There is no other explanation needed for why there are empty seats at every game.

Snaketoz

« Reply #10240 on: November 18, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »
The Jaguar's always seem to pay top dollar for mediocrity.  This team lacks discipline and that is all on the head coach.  So tired of the Bradleyesque refrain after each loss that "we'll work on it".  This team is BAD.  I wasn't able to watch the game yesterday and I'm glad.  It is complete torture to watch.  We deserve better.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #10241 on: November 18, 2019, 09:57:31 AM »

The biggest mistake that Khan could make it to have another passive rebuild. He has to show a real commitment to winning. Something he has not done in his time as owner.

That overall  record is staggering especially after the advantages the Jags got with the CBA at the start of the Con regime. But while I am no fan of Con( thought I was going to love him)I don’t think the issue is his own commitment to winning. He just made some bad decisions on his own hires on the football side.No clue where he got his advice. If it was Weaver, that is telling considering how his ownership ended. I still remember  the bizarre start of keeping Gene and having him hire Mularkey. Odd decision and unfortunately didn’t get much better.

At least there was 2017.

I still don’t know if he just liked Caldwell too much, trusted him too much, or Caldwell has compromising photos.

Kerry

« Reply #10242 on: November 18, 2019, 10:08:34 AM »
This season is on life support after yesterday's debacle. The team appears headed for another 5 or 6 win season.

If the season continues the way it looks now, they need to clean house. Fire Marrone, fire Caldwell, fire Coughlin. They waited way too long to fire Bradley. And instead of bringing in a new voice, they just promoted one of his assistants. And despite a putrid record, Caldwell still has a job.

The team is 50 games below .500 with Khan as owner, at 36-86. There is no other explanation needed for why there are empty seats at every game.

I don't think Khan cares about winning all that much.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/194473/franchise-value-of-the-jacksonville-jaguars-since-2006/

on edit: this might be a better link to similar data.
https://www.forbes.com/teams/jacksonville-jaguars/#2b6407e23a8e

This is a staggering quote.
The Jaguars set a team record last season for ticket revenue, but it still pales in comparison to other NFL teams. The team's Week 3 win over the Patriots was a franchise-revenue record but was only the 161st highest revenue for NFL game last year, according to team president Mark Lamping.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:17:11 AM by Kerry »
Third Place

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #10243 on: November 18, 2019, 10:19:41 AM »
And despite a putrid record, Caldwell still has a job.

I feel like I'm channeling my inner 'Gene Smith isn't a horrible GM' self of years past, but I (and I might be the only one) don't think Caldwell has done a horrible job as GM.  Have some top picks not worked out?  Absolutely.  Have we hit on some great mid-draft picks?  Yes.  FA pickups have been pretty solid, there have been some questionable ones, but for the most part, we seemed to have hit on some solid guys who've played here for quite a while.  So for the most part, I feel like he's put some talent on the roster - at least enough to win more than what we have.  I think I would like to keep him on staff, let TC retire and bring in TK as the new Czar and let his analytics give it a shot.  I only keep DC if you don't think you can find another GM who would come on-board knowing that they're in a committee type role, and might not have final say.

And I like Marrone, but I don't know if it's him or his coordinators or the position coaches or just the entire unit as a whole, but there's far too many games when we go out there and just seem 'lost' - On both sides of the ball.  Offenses are running on us this year at a record pace.  Our RZ scoring is putrid.  We just got manhandled on both sides of the line.  So for me, the biggest issue is with our Front 5 - from LT to RT and I again, I don't know if it's more about coaching, scheme or talent. 

So I'm finally somewhat on board with blowing it up after yesterday's showing. 
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #10244 on: November 18, 2019, 10:35:39 AM »
And despite a putrid record, Caldwell still has a job.

I feel like I'm channeling my inner 'Gene Smith isn't a horrible GM' self of years past, but I (and I might be the only one) don't think Caldwell has done a horrible job as GM.  Have some top picks not worked out?  Absolutely.  Have we hit on some great mid-draft picks?  Yes.  FA pickups have been pretty solid, there have been some questionable ones, but for the most part, we seemed to have hit on some solid guys who've played here for quite a while.  So for the most part, I feel like he's put some talent on the roster - at least enough to win more than what we have.  I think I would like to keep him on staff, let TC retire and bring in TK as the new Czar and let his analytics give it a shot.  I only keep DC if you don't think you can find another GM who would come on-board knowing that they're in a committee type role, and might not have final say.

And I like Marrone, but I don't know if it's him or his coordinators or the position coaches or just the entire unit as a whole, but there's far too many games when we go out there and just seem 'lost' - On both sides of the ball.  Offenses are running on us this year at a record pace.  Our RZ scoring is putrid.  We just got manhandled on both sides of the line.  So for me, the biggest issue is with our Front 5 - from LT to RT and I again, I don't know if it's more about coaching, scheme or talent. 

So I'm finally somewhat on board with blowing it up after yesterday's showing. 

Obviously we just disagree on Caldwell and that is fine but it just mystifies me when people defend this guy. Of course he has added good talent to the roster!
I really think you have to take into consideration the change to cap rollover he was able to start with and the fact that he has been working with greatest draft capital ( just “earned”from team record) in history. Think of how many years and rounds ( not just first) he has picked before virtually every other team. Throw in the top 5 pick mistakes not being financially crippling like the used to be and how could he not put talent on the roster?  If you are saying the coaches have just wasted all of Caldwell’s brilliant moves, ok. But then doesn’t he have to be killed more for bad hires?

Note, Dave seems like a nice guy and I love what he does with animals. I just don’t want him running a football team.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:38:07 AM by sanmarcomatt »