Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1516386 times)

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #9960 on: January 04, 2019, 09:48:24 AM »
^^^I was fortunate to watch Dusty perform at the old Jacksonville Coliseum. Like you I no longer watch wrestling (around mid to late 2000s). I stopped watching from the combination of three four things; The PC era, opposed the the attitude era; the demise of WCW, which kept WWE in a symbiotic competition; the death of Eddie Guerrero who IMO was no doubt a great wrestler with tons of charisma; the rising of the UFC.

WWE Raw attendance is suffering badly at arenas all over the country. It's ratings are heading south. Most people complaints with modern WWE are the boring storylines, and the PC overly kid friendly era. Maybe you are right, and it's more about TV deals than butts in the seats.

I still think that more than not these supposed new upstarts within an over-saturated entity; Shad will have his work cut out for him, but I wish him the best. Contrastingly, I'm not confident about Vince's XFL 2.0 being anything special. 

Yeah, I stopped watching around 2002, I think.

Was never a big WWF fan as a kid, but absolutely LOVED the late 80's/early 90's WCW stuff when I was little. Ric Flair, Sting, Luger, Midnight Express, Road Warriors, Steiners, Arn Anderson. I pull it up on YouTube, and it still holds up.

Stopped watching for years, and then got hooked again in high school when Steve Austin took off and the WWF & WCW were going at it.

I've tried flipping it on a few times in recent years, but even more than the tamer product, the writing just seems so stupid and unrelatable now. Missing are these great, universal stories - things like employee vs. boss (Austin vs. McMahon), working man vs. one-percenter (Dusty vs. Flair), beloved hero turning his back on the fans (Hogan with the NWO), etc. - and it's just a bunch of wacky, overly clever skits.

Plus, everyone seems to have the same bland, monotone, scripted voice. You look at guys like Ric Flair, or Arn Anderson, or Dusty Rhodes, or Steve Austin, or the Rock, or Jim Cornette, and it's pretty obvious that you're seeing their real personality amplified times 10. With the new stuff, just seems like a bunch of vanilla personal trainers reading off the same script. Dusty Rhodes was patently ridiculous, with the perm, and the lisp, and the belly, but when he started talking about how Ric Flair had taken money out of his family's pocket and relating it back to working class struggles, you believed every word of it (still holds up as well: https://youtu.be/9py4aMK3aIU?t=39).

New XFL is going to be the same disaster the old one was.

Any time Vince McMahon has tried to do something outside of wrestling, it's been a monumental flop.

---

Also, sounds like Fournette has played his last snap as a Jag.

Yeah, when I was a kid (mid-80s) I didn't like WWF at all (though I'd watch it on Mondays - I think - on the USA network - again, I think - if there was nothing else on). WWF just seemed really cartoonish and over the top. For whatever reason, the NWA stuff on TBS seemed more "real" to me and the stories were more interesting.

I was only into it for a couple of years, though. My folks hated wrestling and weren't very keen on me watching it anyway.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

MusicMan

« Reply #9961 on: January 07, 2019, 05:33:47 PM »
Ohio State SOPHOMORE QB Dwayne Haskins has announced he will enter the NFL draft. A one year starter who played in 8 games the previous season ( and threw 50 passes that year) Haskins is considered the top QB prospect in the draft by many.....

What a mess we will have if the Jags front office drafts this kid and expects him to handle NFL defenses after one year as a starter at OSU and one training camp with our as yet unnamed offensive coordinator.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #9962 on: January 08, 2019, 08:10:14 AM »
Ohio State SOPHOMORE QB Dwayne Haskins has announced he will enter the NFL draft. A one year starter who played in 8 games the previous season ( and threw 50 passes that year) Haskins is considered the top QB prospect in the draft by many.....

What a mess we will have if the Jags front office drafts this kid and expects him to handle NFL defenses after one year as a starter at OSU and one training camp with our as yet unnamed offensive coordinator.

Unless he is successful, of course.

MusicMan

« Reply #9963 on: January 08, 2019, 08:16:41 AM »
Adam, you can go to Vegas right now and get amazing odds if you want to make that wager!

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #9964 on: January 08, 2019, 08:36:07 AM »
Adam, you can go to Vegas right now and get amazing odds if you want to make that wager!

Why don't you do it and let me know how it goes! I'm happy to take a share of your (inevitable) winnings  :)

pierre

« Reply #9965 on: January 08, 2019, 08:41:26 AM »

The Jaguars are almost certainly going to add a veteran QB before the draft.

Maybe it's a bridge QB like a Ryan Fitzpatrick or Tyrod Taylor. Maybe it's a more expensive, experienced veteran like Nick Foles or Joe Flacco.

Either way, Haskins won't be forced to start if he was the pick.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #9966 on: January 08, 2019, 02:45:20 PM »
Following the Mahomes path is the best way to go for the Jags.

RattlerGator

« Reply #9967 on: January 08, 2019, 04:13:13 PM »
I don't care how they do it, I just want a competent offense and a competitive defense that can challenge for a spot in the playoffs. The Division all of a sudden looks to be the toughest in football. That makes it all the tougher to make another playoff run.

MusicMan

« Reply #9968 on: January 08, 2019, 10:17:26 PM »
Don't look but maybe Leonard Fournette will be gone soon:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813208?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #9969 on: January 30, 2019, 07:15:07 PM »
Did anyone else watch the Hyundai Super Bowl ad about the elevator and think one of the stops was going to be for Jaguar fans?

MusicMan

« Reply #9970 on: February 02, 2019, 02:35:22 PM »
Happiest guy on the field tomorrow will have to be.........................................

Dante Fowler Jr.  I'm not a big fan of his but this season played out amazingly well for him.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #9971 on: February 19, 2019, 01:51:38 PM »
Been a little quiet around here.

I just got my renewal notice and yet another nice increase. I have to admit...I kind of admire them for that. Our tickets have now officially doubled in 4 years.  I realize they were very cheap to begin with but damn! Although, I just got a sweet magnet for being a loyal season ticket holder so I have that going for me.

I do have some good news for all Jag fans. Mrs SMM is finally done with the season ticket thing and the last time we didn't renew (well, we "renewed" with the 5 pack later, but I don't count that) was 2017 and they went to the AFC championship! I expect great things this year!

Hoping to see the Jags D crush Flacco in Denver for a road trip if schedule cooperates.

Snaketoz

« Reply #9972 on: February 19, 2019, 03:07:14 PM »
Had I known they were giving away magnets, I would have renewed.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #9973 on: March 08, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
Breaking News. Jaguars have released their entire team.

Actually, just the expected cap purge of Jackson,Gipson,Parnell, and Hyde(nice trade).

No huge deal as these contracts were designed to be much shorter than original with limited "dead money" but would have been nice if there had been some forward thinking by Caldwell to have the team option in the contract so perhaps 1 or more would count in the comp pick formula. Sigh.

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #9974 on: March 13, 2019, 09:42:24 PM »
And the deed has been done.
Is everyone ok out there? I am a little worried about some of you.