Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1528669 times)

Snaketoz

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #9735 on: October 18, 2018, 09:10:50 AM »
You're right Snaketoz...   Let's get rid of Bortles.

I can't really defend some of the throws he's made recently.  They've been bad.

You would think that we would run the ball a little more since he's in a bit of a slump?  Oh... hell, I forgot.  LF27 has been out, Yeldon is on one leg, Grant is on IR, Wilds doesn't know how to block and Charles just got here and couldn't get around the corner last week.  So running the ball isn't really an option.

Maybe build a game-plan around some easy throws to make so that he doesn't have to go deep?  Well, with no threat of a running game, defenses are able to sit back in a zone and keep their eyes in the backfield.  Crossing routes take time to develop and our 3rd string LT isn't very good.  Our pass-catching TE is on IR.  His replacement is now on IR.  Our rookie WR Chark is playing like a rookie WR.  Our #1 Lee going into the season was on IR before the season started... so that leaves us with who?  Moncrief, Westbrook and Cole. 

Maybe is we just let our Powerhouse defense keep the games close so that we can somehow scrape by?  Oh....  70 points given up in the last 2 games?  Only 3 INT for the season?  14 sacks through 6 games?  Damn...  I guess that's not really working.

Welp... I guess it's up to special teams to lead us to the promised land.  Let that young punter flip the field!  Let our returners do their return thing!  What's that you say?  Mickens on IR?  Tinker on IR?  So we don't have our returner and we're on our backup longsnapper?  Hell, I just thought the other ST units were faster.  I didn't realize that our punter is 2 yards closer to the line and the ball still isn't getting there fast enough.

After typing all that...  I can only come up with one, single fix that will guarantee us making the playoffs - Let's roll with Kessler.

After I hit return, I had one more thought....
And since we're already projected at $5M over the cap for next year, we should have ZERO problem absorbing Bortles $19M dead cap hit and should be in great position to replace him since he's our ONLY problem.
Bortles ISN'T our only problem, he's just the single most obvious.  He is a perpetual rookie.  Can it be any more obvious?  The Jaguars have dummied down the entire offense, not to improve their chances of being successful, but to make it possible to try to make up for Bortles ineptness. He is a bottom of the barrel QB even with the garbage time stats that keep him from being the worst starting QB ever.  I keep getting asked, "who can the Jags get that is better?"  That may be a valid question.  What I say is why has this failure gone on so long?  Why haven't we brought in an established backup or a talented project QB?  Is it going to take Bortles being injured to make the management do what they should have done years ago? *Since Bortles entered the league as the third-overall pick, he has tossed 72 interceptions (in 68 games), most in the NFL, ahead of Philip Rivers (65) and Eli Manning (61). His interception percentage (2.9%) ranks 33rd, tied with Brock Osweiler and Trevor Siemian, and just a smidge better than Jay Cutler and Blaine Gabbert (3.0). Since Bortles entered the NFL (from 2014-present), he ranks 34th with a passer rating of 80.8 – tucked between Brian Hoyer and Siemian – while completing less than 60 percent of his passes, averaging a modest 6.73 yards per attempt and with 99 TDs-72 INTs (his rating in 2018 is an almost-identical 81.1). The debate isn't  – whether or not he should be the starter on a Super Bowl contender. It's not even  – whether or not to keep him around at $18M a year. No, the salient question was, is and still remains: Is Bortles worthy of being an NFL starting quarterback, period? Could he beat out, in a fair fight, the likes of Josh McCown or Teddy Bridgewater or Chase Daniel or, gulp, dare I even broach the name of the quarterback the NFL tries to pretend doesn't exist, Colin Kaepernick? Here is what Bortles has done in the first half of the Jags' last three losses: 26-for-48 (55 percent) for 230 yards (4.79 per attempt) with no touchdowns, two picks and five sacks. That adds up for a rating of 49.83. No team can win that way, and this team as presently constructed certainly can't survive that, even against other offensively-strapped teams like Tennessee and Dallas. Against the Titans in Week 3, the Jags failed to score a touchdown.  I've never said this until now, but I'm about to jump on the Kaepernick bandwagon.
*CBS Sports.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 09:12:50 AM by Snaketoz »

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #9736 on: October 18, 2018, 09:43:03 AM »
The game at Tennessee from that year was probably the worst game I ever have watched.

The defense dominated but Garrard threw a pick six and had a fumble returned for a TD. I think Tennessee had about 100 yards of offense and won.

That day Vince Young looked like probably the worst quarterback to have ever played against the Jags.... and that's a pretty dubious list. If memory serves, the Jags were 8-6 and were in the driver's seat to make the playoffs before those two awful games to close out the year.

Thanks for that memory, lol. I freaking hate the Titans!!!!!

It's ok cause our peak from that stretch was the following season: 2007.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9737 on: October 18, 2018, 10:08:34 AM »
Snake,

I read that article the other day, too.  I'm pretty sure SMM calls me out on cherry picking stats too.

Nick Foles won a SB with a career QBR less than Bortles.
His completion % is higher than Foles & Newton and within 2 % points of Jameis, Luck, Tyrod, Goff and Mariota
He has more yds/att than Flacco and within a 1/2 yard of guys like Newton, Eli, Wentz & Carr

In that same timeframe he's thrown for more total yards (16,602) than Rodgers, Dalton, Luck, Winston & Flacco
To go along with his league leading # of INTs, he's tossed more TDs than Flacco, Tannehill, Prescott & Foles

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9738 on: October 18, 2018, 11:44:17 AM »
I got interrupted with actual work and forgot where I was going with that...

Basically, his numbers aren't great - they're average.  How many wins does Cousins have in MN?  What about Keenum?  How's he doing in Denver?  These are all teams that supposedly had the defense in place and upgraded at the QB position last offseason.

Remember all the talk about bringing in Eli?  What's his record again?  How about Matty Ice?  Stafford?  Carr?  Garrapolo? 

I'm in a lot of different NFL fan groups on FB, and they all say the same thing:  Why don't we go and get .......

Chief fan & Ram fan is happy right now.  Raider fan, Titan fan & even Dallas fan are ready to move on from their QB.

I'm good with the approach the team is taking with Blake.  I hate the quick-trigger, front office approach with high-draft players.  I've seen his good football.  I've seen his bad football.  I was hoping the inconsistencies would reduce a bit.  But I'm more of a realist when it comes to my fandom.  He's not going to carry the team.  And right now... I'm not sure if there's a QB in the league that could with all of the injuries going around.

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Snaketoz

« Reply #9739 on: October 18, 2018, 02:28:43 PM »
I've been saying for years that Blake is a mistake.  You are so right about some things in your posts NRNW, but as far as stats go, they are designed to be "cherry picked" and I don't blame yours.  I am not saying I want to bring in Eli, I'm not saying bring in anyone.  I'm bitching because you can name all the teams with struggling QBs and Blake can look good against them, maybe.  How many of those teams have the defense the Jaguars have?  At the onset of this season Jacksonville had as a complete a team as the best.  Our soft point has been the QB position.  All the teams have injuries.  That's not a reason for Blake's play.  In Dallas he looked like he had two car batteries strapped to his ankles-couldn't scramble.  (Must have gotten into Bill Cosby's Quaalude stash.) He threw behind open receivers or over their heads.  If we are 3rd down and 15, Blake can get you a 4 yd. completion.  Yeah, that 4 yards makes the punter giddy.  He has no zip on his ball.  He rarely throws a spiral.  He telegraphs his throws and his release is insomnia inducing.  His best play is to stick out his tongue and scramble.  Move him to RB. The Jaguars need to come to their senses, admit their mistake, and move on.  I can remember many QBs that kept it close with teams much worse than Jacksonville's.  What their current mindset is going to do is ruin the team's rep with the fan base, make it tougher to bring quality players here, and bore the hell out of me.  Don't listen to me.  Listen to successful ex coaches, player evaluators, and non homer Jags fans.  Quick, Coughlin, while you still have fans!

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9740 on: October 18, 2018, 03:20:40 PM »
What about Cousins?  He had an 'elite' defense going into this season.  He has a true #1WR with Theilen.  Why are they 3-2-1?

Denver's defense was considered one of the top defenses in the league last year, so they grabbed Keenum, who also made a divisional playoff game, and now they're 2-4.

Blake has shown that he's capable of playing solid games when the lights are on.  Now that he's had a couple bombs in a row, everyone is trying to forget what happened last year against Baltimore, Seattle & Pittsburgh and this year against the Pats and the Jets. 

Hell... most people didn't even give him credit for those games.  Even though against Seattle and Pitt, our D gave up over 900 yards and 66 points to the other team.  We just gave up 40 points to a team whose fanbase has been ready to fire their coach, their OC, their QB...

Why does Blake catch all the blame and why is it so hard to criticize the rest of the team?

I get it, I think.  Fans are gonna fan.  Most people had the same shit to say about Leftwich & Garrard, too.  I guess until we go 19-0, people are going to be calling for heads.  And even then, I'm sure whomever is at QB, it isn't going to be good enough.

But looking at the big picture, I'll take the QB who may not be the best, and is honest about it by accepting a less than the best salary than paying a guy a premium to be average.
-Douglas Adams

Snaketoz

« Reply #9741 on: October 18, 2018, 04:01:09 PM »
What about Cousins?  He had an 'elite' defense going into this season.  He has a true #1WR with Theilen.  Why are they 3-2-1?

Denver's defense was considered one of the top defenses in the league last year, so they grabbed Keenum, who also made a divisional playoff game, and now they're 2-4.

Blake has shown that he's capable of playing solid games when the lights are on.  Now that he's had a couple bombs in a row, everyone is trying to forget what happened last year against Baltimore, Seattle & Pittsburgh and this year against the Pats and the Jets. 

Hell... most people didn't even give him credit for those games.  Even though against Seattle and Pitt, our D gave up over 900 yards and 66 points to the other team.  We just gave up 40 points to a team whose fanbase has been ready to fire their coach, their OC, their QB...

Why does Blake catch all the blame and why is it so hard to criticize the rest of the team?

I get it, I think.  Fans are gonna fan.  Most people had the same shit to say about Leftwich & Garrard, too.  I guess until we go 19-0, people are going to be calling for heads.  And even then, I'm sure whomever is at QB, it isn't going to be good enough.

But looking at the big picture, I'll take the QB who may not be the best, and is honest about it by accepting a less than the best salary than paying a guy a premium to be average.
You are right.  I did have shit to say about Leftwich, Henne, and Gabbert.  I actually liked Garrard.  I will hope that Good Blake shows up against the Texans.  I am critical of him, but I love the Jags and want them to succeed.  Even if he has a good game this week he won't make most fans confident.  His good games come when he has good/lucky receivers who can go up for the 50/50 passes Bortles throws and come down with a reception.  It'll be more on the receivers than on our QB. 

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #9742 on: October 18, 2018, 05:31:23 PM »
Imagine there's no Hatin'
It's easy if you try
All Teams below us
Above us only sky

Imagine all the Jaxons
Livin' for today
Aaa haa

Imagine there's no Tipped Passes
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to whine or cry for
And no fumbles too

Imagine all the Jaxons
Livin' life in first

DuuuuuuVal

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the Jags will be as one

Imagine no Interceptions
I wonder if you can
No need for Henne or Kessler
A brotherhood of Fan

Imagine all the Jaxons
Sharin' all the wins

DuuuuuuVal

But I'm not the only one
And the Jags will live as one

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 05:33:49 PM by sanmarcomatt »

MusicMan

« Reply #9743 on: October 18, 2018, 05:47:19 PM »
Well done Sir!

Snaketoz

« Reply #9744 on: October 18, 2018, 08:12:15 PM »
Imagine there's no Hatin'
It's easy if you try
All Teams below us
Above us only sky

Imagine all the Jaxons
Livin' for today
Aaa haa

Imagine there's no Tipped Passes
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to whine or cry for
And no fumbles too

Imagine all the Jaxons
Livin' life in first

DuuuuuuVal

But I'm not the only one
And the Jags will be as one

Imagine no Interceptions
I wonder if you can
No need for Henne or Kessler
A brotherhood of Fan

Imagine all the Jaxons
Sharin' all the wins

DuuuuuuVal

But I'm not the only one
And the Jags will live as one

I've taken my bows
And my curtain calls
You brought me fame and fortune and everything that goes with it
I thank you all

But it's been no bed of roses
No pleasure cruise
I consider it a challenge before the whole human race
And I ain't gonna lose

We are the posers, my friends
And we'll keep on fumbling 'til the end
We are the posers
We are the posers
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions of the world

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #9745 on: October 19, 2018, 10:38:27 AM »
I am little worried about a less than impressive crowd for the Texans. As usual, I am checking the secondary market for seats similar to ours and you can barely give them away. (On a positive note, Mrs SMM is officially on board with the financial folly of season tickets/preseason so I have that going for me next year).

The weather looks amazing so hopefully people show up.

I am expecting  an angry defense to treat Houston like Harvey and the BoSox just did.

Jags 20-3.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9746 on: October 19, 2018, 11:53:52 AM »
I am little worried about a less than impressive crowd for the Texans.

I have to agree with you.  I was disappointed (not surprised) by the attendance at the Titans game.  This city couldn't sustain a 3 game homestretch.

Now with the back to back blowouts, I'd be happy to see 55k at the turnstile.

Which is why I'm 100% on board with the Jags London plans.  People truly don't want to understand that this is a business and the owners are out to make as much money as possible.  The money generated from a single game in London makes up for 3 regular (read:  Not the Pats, Not the Pack, Not the Steelers) games here.  As a season ticket holder, I would gladly give up another game or two here in Jax to ensure the viability of the team.

Besides, I like travelling to away games.  This year was the Giants and Dallas.  Next year will be London and either one of the NFC South games (probably Charlotte if available) or one of the AFC West games (hopefully Denver).
-Douglas Adams

sanmarcomatt

• Donut Enthusiast
« Reply #9747 on: October 19, 2018, 01:12:21 PM »

This what we plan on trying to do next year. The combination of trying to schedule around home games and the financial bath we are taking on our tickets is a bit much. (I don't mind supporting the local team but this is approaching charity level) We plan on buying single tickets to home games we can attend and try to mix in an away game or 2. Agree about Denver depending on time of year. We would go to Atlanta but we expect to go to that stadium in February :)

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9748 on: October 19, 2018, 04:02:24 PM »
-Douglas Adams

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #9749 on: October 19, 2018, 07:32:53 PM »

We would go to Atlanta but we expect to go to that stadium in February :)

To see the Patsies or the Jags?