Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1434144 times)

KenFSU

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #9660 on: September 22, 2018, 12:57:28 PM »
Also, relevant:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/elevate-report-rebrand-northeast-florida-as-jacksonville

Love the idea to rebrand the seven-county area as "Greater Jacksonville" almost as much as I hate the tagline, "The Water Life Center of America."
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 01:23:31 PM by KenFSU »

Kiva

« Reply #9661 on: September 22, 2018, 01:23:20 PM »
Also, relevant:

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/elevate-report-rebrand-northeast-florida-as-jacksonville
I had almost forgotten about "Water Life Center of America"!  When I grow up I want to be a consultant who is paid lots of money to come up with stupid names.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #9662 on: September 22, 2018, 01:25:02 PM »
To be clear, I'm not saying you cant criticize it for legitimate reasons. I do like Duval and DTWD but I can get that not everyone is going to. However, to say you dont like it cause it doesnt represent you since you live in St Johns County (which seemed to have the most naysayers) was the part that peeved me.

Anyway, it's not a big deal just something I've never gotten to vent about.  ;D

No worries - it's fun to vent about stuff like this.

I never liked the 'Duval' thing for two main reasons:

1) I'm from Jacksonville, not Duval County (if you know what I mean).
2) The traditional pronunciation of Duval has the (or had the) stress on the second syllable. To me DU-val sounds as weird as when Ronald Reagan pronounced it in a way where the second syllable rhymed with 'gal'.

In any event, it's totally a non-issue. But I think it's dumb and if you can't care too much about stupid things, where's the fun in life?
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

KenFSU

« Reply #9663 on: September 23, 2018, 10:38:04 AM »
^I'm a sucker for anything organic.

I like the Duval and DTWD things because they just kind of happened naturally and stuck, rather than being something forced like this:

https://youtu.be/IgHyEbMQ-OE?t=112

Also, randomly met Doug Marrone last night at a humane society event at the stadium, and it made me like him even more.

Super friendly and dude is MASSIVE up close.

MusicMan

« Reply #9664 on: September 23, 2018, 02:33:07 PM »
3-3 halftime.  Tennessee whipping us physically.

BB looks like crap. Cannot throw the 5 yard out........

Maybe second half ?

Jags D gettin' it done.

By the way, second half kick off shot showed pretty empty stands. Was everyone in the bathroom?

Follow up.  WOW. What a shit show by the offense.  And it looked like everybody was at the beach. Not an impressive showing by DUVAL.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 04:00:54 PM by MusicMan »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9665 on: September 23, 2018, 07:02:00 PM »
Look on the bright side. The Dolphins are 3-0! ;D
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #9666 on: September 23, 2018, 07:34:53 PM »
^You really do have this ability to pop up when I'm in the worst mood about a game.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #9667 on: September 24, 2018, 01:55:40 AM »
Look on the bright side. The Dolphins are 3-0! ;D

I know, right?

Unlike a Jaguars fan, I'm not going to get carried away and act like this means anything beyond winning three games in a row. But it's always nice to beat the Jets, regardless.

Snaketoz

« Reply #9668 on: September 24, 2018, 08:25:41 AM »
Will the Jags ever figure-out how to rid themselves of this Titan domination? Looks like the Patriots were over rated.  (Like the Jags)

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #9669 on: September 24, 2018, 08:37:54 AM »

By the way, second half kick off shot showed pretty empty stands. Was everyone in the bathroom?

Follow up.  WOW. What a shit show by the offense.  And it looked like everybody was at the beach. Not an impressive showing by DUVAL.

I have to think the weather played into attendance and I don't blame anyone, especially non club seats. It was brutal with the sun out almost the whole game. At least last week, while hotter, was a later start and we had cloud cover virtually the whole game.
One thing of note is that the secondary market was non existent this week for more expensive seats. There was no way we were going to three straight September home games, but we sold our Jets tickets as this game was basically unsellable. I saw club seats better than ours priced under $100. I think the combination of little Titans fan interest and the heat was the reason. The Jets game looks to a be a little cooler (for now) so that should help.Assuming the team has the record we expect, I think the Texans game will be a nice crowd with the cooler weather.

No, It was not an accident that I didn't discuss the game itself. We are on to the Jets.

pierre

« Reply #9670 on: September 24, 2018, 09:36:40 AM »
Weather definitely played into it.

My employer has several sets of tickets that we give away to employees. It was nearly impossible to give away free tickets to this past game. This upcoming week will likely be the same story.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9671 on: September 24, 2018, 02:17:23 PM »
My employer has several sets of tickets that we give away to employees. It was nearly impossible to give away free tickets to this past game.

I think the combination of little Titans fan interest and the heat was the reason.

I don't get this part.  I mean.... I do try to understand, but on a personal level, I don't fucking get it.

There's 3 games that the stadium should always be packed for, depending on the timing of the schedule, and that's the Titans, the Colts and the Texans.  These are division games and they matter. 

Homefield advantage is a real thing, but after a few shitty passes from BB5, we didn't have it.  I could hear Mariota calling checks from my seat and that should never happen.  So I get people being pissed with the way that Bortles (and the entire offense really) didn't bother to show up, but the most vocal people on Monday were more than likely the least vocal on Sunday.

While I'm soapboxing, can someone please explain the benefit to me of leaving a game before it's decided?  Not sure what traffic you're beating out of there as your rush to the exit with 15k in tow.  I personally would rather to chill in my seat for a few extra minutes and hang out in the parking lot rather than rush to go sit in a line of traffic full of pissed off fans. 

Just my $0.02.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

jaxjaguar

« Reply #9672 on: September 24, 2018, 02:26:58 PM »
In regard to your last point, this is why downtown needs more things to do on a Sunday other than restaurants and drinking

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #9673 on: September 24, 2018, 02:43:47 PM »
My employer has several sets of tickets that we give away to employees. It was nearly impossible to give away free tickets to this past game.

I think the combination of little Titans fan interest and the heat was the reason.

I don't get this part.  I mean.... I do try to understand, but on a personal level, I don't fucking get it.

There's 3 games that the stadium should always be packed for, depending on the timing of the schedule, and that's the Titans, the Colts and the Texans.  These are division games and they matter. 

Personally, I was talking about Titan fans not buying tickets. Compared to previous years, I saw very few.

As for not getting why Jag fans don't buy tickets...well,  for Sunday, it was 90 degrees and as best I can determine, the Jags did nothing to try to improve fan comfort. But I can only speak for club seats  and we have the option to go inside so perhaps things were done in other areas.

But for games in general, I have no problem with people who do not buy tickets to sporting events with jacked up prices, and price gouging concessions, especially seeing the revenue numbers that are brought in. Considering some of the attendance drops for other teams, I am wondering if the NFL may have jumped the shark.

Leaving early before a game is decided mystifies me as does booing your own team.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #9674 on: September 24, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »
Since when did Floridians become scared of 90 degree heat? I mean, I hate it - but I am given to understand that I'm a big baby*.

*Insert other, less PC insult at your leisure.