Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1421350 times)

KenFSU

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #9615 on: August 10, 2018, 09:31:24 AM »
Love this team.

So happy we brought Bortles back.

Had no clue he just had a kid.

Teal uniforms looked pretty epic on the field.

Hope the Telvin, Fournette, Jalen, TJ national anthem stuff doesn't get needlessly blown out of proportion.

Rynjny

« Reply #9616 on: August 10, 2018, 09:46:52 AM »
Love this team.

Hope the Telvin, Fournette, Jalen, TJ national anthem stuff doesn't get needlessly blown out of proportion.

Wait...Bortles just had a kid???
Ryan

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #9617 on: August 10, 2018, 09:47:45 AM »
Didn't watch a minute but if they were no injuries, they get an A from me.

Wake me up on Sept 9th.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #9618 on: August 10, 2018, 09:55:08 AM »
Impressive turn out for a preseason game.  The first drive was certainly the highlight and judging from that alone, I think we are going to have a good season.

Three 3rd down conversions in the drive to be wrapped up with a Bortles TD run...  Let's go JAGS!!

KenFSU

« Reply #9619 on: August 10, 2018, 09:58:47 AM »
Love this team.

The announcers mentioned that he was a new Dad during the game last night.

There have been rumors swirling about the circumstances going back to the end of last season, but I always assumed it was fake and it was just the internet being the internet.

Guess it's true.

Good for Blake.

pierre

« Reply #9620 on: August 10, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »
Any real complaints from last night's game?

Kick and punt return coverage was/is abysmal. That won't break a season but it can definitely impact a game. Other than that, everything looked smooth (which is not an adjective I've used before to describe a Jags' preseason game).

I'm confused. The Jaguars punted twice. The first punt was a 56 yarder from the rookie Cooke and the returner was tackled immediately by DJ Chark. The second punt was downed inside the 20.

blizz01

« Reply #9621 on: August 11, 2018, 12:14:56 AM »
My mother said the game was on local TV (Fox?) in Charleston, SC.  She said they were even airing the Jacksonville specific commercials (think Farah & Farah)....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:16:35 AM by blizz01 »

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #9622 on: August 11, 2018, 12:15:10 AM »
Love this team.

The announcers mentioned that he was a new Dad during the game last night.

There have been rumors swirling about the circumstances going back to the end of last season, but I always assumed it was fake and it was just the internet being the internet.

Guess it's true.

Good for Blake.

I did not hear anything about this all summer either. But Brian Sexton mentioned it on his podcast last week.

I-10east

« Reply #9623 on: August 18, 2018, 11:04:24 PM »
I'm so excited about this year! I wish that I could say the same thing about those super bland uniforms. I really don't like any combo of them (although the teal tops on white pants like the NOLA game are easily the best IMO, and that's not saying much. Today's Nittany Lion white on white looks like we fell in a vat of white paint, and peeled off tape to reveal black numbers and letters... PRIMARY COLORS ARE BORING!!! IT SCREAMS NO IDENTITY!!!! TEAL AND GOLD MAKES OUR BRAND MORE EXCITING!!!! I'm done, sorry.

Snaketoz

« Reply #9624 on: August 19, 2018, 08:35:39 AM »
I've been saying this for years, and I really hope I'm wrong, BUT I think the Jaguars need to immediately start grooming another quarterback.  They should already have an heir apparent.  I was happy for Blake last year, I really was.  I really think the Jag's success in 2017 was not because of Bortles, but in spite of Bortles.  They have sold their soul to justify keeping him.  They have simplified their offense to accommodate his mediocrity, released talented receivers, and become defense dependent to make up for him.  How anyone can think Bortles is the answer at QB is beyond me.  We can't count on dummying down the offense can keep working.  More and more teams will figure out how to counter it, and we can't keep all our hopes on luck and pick 6s by our defense.  It could be a disappointing season.

MusicMan

« Reply #9625 on: August 19, 2018, 09:00:56 AM »
I think we will pay the price for letting A Rob and A Hurns go. Moncreif has the measurables but the GM is not taking into account the chemistry BB had with those other 2.  I've heard a lot of the Jags professional commentators saying how they have not been impressed with Moncreif and that he and BB do not appear on the same page.  I hope that improves...

blizz01

« Reply #9626 on: August 19, 2018, 01:12:49 PM »
Way too many questionable calls (against both teams) yesterday.  So much ambiguity tied to these personal fouls.....

remc86007

« Reply #9627 on: August 19, 2018, 03:53:27 PM »
The reffing yesterday took a lot of the fun out of watching the game for me. Quite a few time times the tv coverage (which was rather poor regardless) couldn't figure out what the reffs were talking about in time to show a replay. It really bugs me when reffs make calls and on the replay you could clearly see that there was no way the reff that threw the flag could have seen the penalty they supposedly saw.

pierre

« Reply #9628 on: August 20, 2018, 08:51:46 AM »
I think we will pay the price for letting A Rob and A Hurns go. Moncreif has the measurables but the GM is not taking into account the chemistry BB had with those other 2.  I've heard a lot of the Jags professional commentators saying how they have not been impressed with Moncreif and that he and BB do not appear on the same page.  I hope that improves...

A healthy Robinson, I would agree. I think the team made a mistake in letting him go.

But Hurns could not stay healthy. And when he played, he was not nearly the player he was 3 years ago. The injuries have taken a toll on him. I think Westbrook can fill that role.

RattlerGator

« Reply #9629 on: August 20, 2018, 12:03:41 PM »
Well, snaketoz, you're looking for Aaron Rodgers out there? Blake is a damn good fit for this team.

He was 12-20, 159 yards, 1 interception, sacked twice. Against a defense comparable to the Jaguars defense.

Okay?

Kirk Cousins?

He of the 3-year, $84 million deal (for the sake of comparison, Blake signed a 3-year, $54 million deal) that will cost the Vikings $30 million more than our contract with Blake?

Well, he was 3-8, for 12 whopping yards, 0 interceptions, sacked once.

Blake wins that particular comparison; the game and the contract.

Blake looked good, and he barely missed on a couple of passes that would have been big gains. On his interception: it looked bad, it may have actually *been* bad, but it also may have been a case of Fournette sitting down on a play where he should have continued the route upfield. Odds are, it was a mistake by Blake. Those are going to happen; he came right back and led the team down the field for the TD.

The Jaguars look damn good. Yeldon looks improved. Some damn good players aren't going to make this team. That hasn't happened in forever.