Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1438308 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #9585 on: May 08, 2018, 02:12:33 PM »
Don’t lead him astray with bad donut tips.

If physique has any bearing, I think Doug soliciting donut tips from me is about as likely as me asking for investment tips from Mark Brunell.

Doug is more of a Bologna and Cheese guy. Turn him into a Donut guy!

KenFSU

« Reply #9586 on: May 11, 2018, 07:00:58 PM »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9587 on: May 25, 2018, 06:52:02 AM »
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

DrQue

« Reply #9588 on: May 29, 2018, 09:11:44 AM »
Interesting quotes in this publication from the current owners of Wembley. The local Jacksonville press would do well to investigate the basis of these statements.

"The Jacksonville Jaguars have been long-term users of Wembley Stadium for one or more of their regular season NFL matches over a number of years. As that relationship has developed they have made no secret of their ambition to bring the franchise to London. They have always had a great experience of playing at Wembley Stadium and the conversation about what long-term options were available has evolved. Over the last year this conversation has become more serious to the point when a formal and very credible offer was made. It was not directly solicited on our part."[/b]

"If the Jaguars move permanently to London the autumn internationals will be taken around the country which will enable more supporters to watch the team."

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/may/24/greg-clarke-fa-council-wembley-offer-240518

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:41:05 AM by DrQue »

77danj7

« Reply #9589 on: May 29, 2018, 10:01:42 AM »
I saw someone tweet this last week but haven't heard anything about it from media or just local fan sites like Big Cat Country - interesting

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #9590 on: May 29, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »
^ John Oehser acknowledged the Wembley comments in one of his Q&A columns over the weekend and dismissed them as inaccurate.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9591 on: May 29, 2018, 10:17:09 AM »
Obviously I'm a tad biased, but it's true that the NFL has made no secret in wanting to bring A franchise into London even though Khan continues to say that it's not his team moving.

But it seems that if A TEAM moves into Wembley permanently, then the FA has no issue moving their autumn games.

Like I said, I'm biased, but context is key.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

77danj7

« Reply #9592 on: May 29, 2018, 10:19:18 AM »
^ John Oehser acknowledged the Wembley comments in one of his Q&A columns over the weekend and dismissed them as inaccurate.

Thanks - I missed that one over the weekend then.
I don't think that Khan is doing everything that he's trying to do here just to move us.  I just hate these types of articles!

pierre

« Reply #9593 on: May 29, 2018, 10:28:26 AM »
As that relationship has developed they have made no secret of their ambition to bring the franchise to London.

Anybody printing a comment like this is just showing how uninformed they are.

DrQue

« Reply #9594 on: May 29, 2018, 10:57:19 AM »
As that relationship has developed they have made no secret of their ambition to bring the franchise to London.

I tend to agree, although in this case it is interesting that the group printing the statement is the same group that Khan is negotiating with to buy Wembley. The FA has also done business with Khan/Jags for 5+ years, so they may have a different insight.

The statement on the surface is at odds with Shad's work in Jax. That being said, given the source (if that source is legit), I would be curious to learn more. Hard to dismiss it entirely (especially during the off season doldrums)...

KenFSU

« Reply #9595 on: May 29, 2018, 11:00:38 AM »

I'd normally say yes, and Khan has never given us a reason to doubt his word.

That said, the owners of Wembley - who are currently conducting due diligence on a $1 billion deal with Khan - should, in theory, be the most informed.

The follow-up quote from Clarke (http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11384148/wembley-sale-tops-agenda-for-crucial-fa-council-meeting) makes me a little uneasy:

Clarke explains the Q&A was prepared by the executive team working on the possible sale and it reveals details of the offer. They make it clear Khan has been talking to the FA about basing his NFL team at Wembley full-time for several years but has only seriously discussed buying the stadium more recently.

Not saying I believe it, but it's also a weird thing to fabricate.

Kerry

« Reply #9596 on: May 29, 2018, 11:27:31 AM »
Don't be surprised if the FA Council 'requires' the Jags to relocate to help them break their "No sale for 50 years" pledge.  That will give Khan the out he needs to leave Jax.
Third Place

DrQue

« Reply #9597 on: May 29, 2018, 11:30:28 AM »
We know Shad has invested large amounts of money locally, but we have to remember it is all relative. Forbes provides the following stats:

Value: 25th, around $2.1b
Revenue: 18th, $377m
Net Income: 16th, $89m
https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#header:valueList_sortreverse:true

These are certainly good numbers for a small market team. However, a move into the top 10 by valuation would mean a $500 million value increase for Shad. That would be just the beginning.

I agree that the FA probably has more information than anyone locally. Who knows what has been discussed in closed door meetings 4,000 miles away.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #9598 on: May 29, 2018, 01:10:34 PM »
It seems most people on MJ who have commented on the Lot J / Metro Park / Shipyards proposals by Khan have expressed doubt about their viability.  Could it be he is just giving us pretty pictures, while he works on the "real deal" with Wembley?  Although, I don't see the viability for the NFL of only having one team across the pond - the logistics are too much of a nightmare. 

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #9599 on: May 29, 2018, 01:12:13 PM »
It seems most people on MJ who have commented on the Lot J / Metro Park / Shipyards proposals by Khan have expressed doubt about their viability.  Could it be he is just giving us pretty pictures, while he works on the "real deal" with Wembley?  Although, I don't see the viability for the NFL of only having one team across the pond - the logistics are too much of a nightmare. 

Personally I think Lot J could work. It would work better if all/part of the Shipyards would be completed, but I definitely think it can work.