Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1380017 times)

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Donut District
Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #9510 on: February 19, 2018, 06:59:56 PM »
I suspect that the Jags won’t have any issues selling tickets this season. A lot of prime-time games with a good chance of playing a home game on Thanksgiving.

I don't know of anyone who is concerned about sales this season.

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Donut District
« Reply #9511 on: February 22, 2018, 10:14:38 AM »
Just found out  the last of the three year agreements (used to be a crazy good deal that I stopped too early. Oops) ended last year so I expect some people, especially in the East club are going into sticker shock on their renewal this year. :)

copperfiend

JaxAvondale

« Reply #9513 on: February 24, 2018, 12:13:38 PM »
Smart! Get them locked up through the end of the CBA.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #9514 on: February 24, 2018, 07:54:41 PM »

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #9515 on: February 24, 2018, 08:33:44 PM »

KenFSU

« Reply #9516 on: February 24, 2018, 08:39:45 PM »
Good deal for both sides.

Bortles earned it.

Happy for all involved.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9517 on: February 24, 2018, 08:57:15 PM »
Good deal for both sides.

Bortles earned it.

Happy for all involved.

WOOHOO!
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

RattlerGator

« Reply #9518 on: February 24, 2018, 10:11:03 PM »
I'm happy; stability, stability, stability.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #9519 on: February 24, 2018, 11:08:52 PM »
I like Bortles so I'm happy with it. But all it really means is we're not going after Cousins (or any other FA QB) this offseason. We still may seek one in the draft or in FA next year. We basically gave Bortles a little more guaranteed money in exchange for him being locked up to a decent deal should he continue to progress. But if he doesn't this is still essentially a one-year deal and we can cut him next year with minimal damage if we want to.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #9520 on: February 25, 2018, 01:49:37 PM »
From the reports, Blake’s cap number will be $10 million dollars. That is huge to be able to sign Robinson and other FA (like a quality guard).

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9521 on: February 27, 2018, 12:13:55 PM »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JaxAvondale

« Reply #9522 on: February 27, 2018, 01:03:42 PM »
ESPN breaks down the Bortles deal and what it means for the Jag's future:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22590179/what-made-blake-bortles-extension-questionable-why-jacksonville-jaguars-all-nfl-2018

This is a nice long article on the Jags. While I agree with much of the article, I think this deal says that the Jags is all in on 2018 & 2019 seasons. Also, 2020 is the end of the CBA. There are different cap rules for the CBA in that year. If I’m Blake and his agents, I go the Joe Flacco route. I lead my team to a Super Bowl, the cap will undoubtedly increase with the new CBA and Blake can parlay that into $100 million plus guaranteed contract at 28. For the Jags, they have to keep drafting well especially on the defensive side of the ball because after 2019 season they have to start letting go of the current core or at least reduced their salary. (Jackson will still be able to command a big pay day in two years. He is on 28.)

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9523 on: February 27, 2018, 04:43:07 PM »
Look....   I don't know if the guy is really concerned with money or stature or any of that typical stuff that gets talked about with professional athletes, but his statements after signing the extension are pretty down to earth and humbling.

“That was one of the big things when me and Ryan talked early on about this a week ago,” Bortles said. “I said, ‘We’re getting paid millions of dollars to play football.’ It’s tough to pitter patter about how much money you’re making. It’s all incredible. It’s all a dream come true. We’re all extremely lucky to do it.

“Rather than fight over money here or money there, let’s take what we can get because it’s more than I ever thought I’d make and it allows us to go get some other guys done and continue to be a good football team all around.”
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

copperfiend

« Reply #9524 on: March 05, 2018, 12:11:39 PM »
Latest rumor is Jags will not tag Allen Robinson, and he could be allowed to hit free agency.

It would be a huge mistake to let him walk. This team spent a decade trying to find a receiver after Jimmy Smith retired. They find one and now they may be letting him go.