Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1406828 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #9405 on: January 23, 2018, 03:39:39 PM »
Are there any trades out there to be made for a seasoned veteran for a win now push?

I mean, Kirk Cousins? Alex Smith? One of the Minnesota QB? I guess. Here's my thing:

- The Delay of Game is totally on Blake. That can't happen. Take a timeout if you have to.
 - The coaching staff doesn't seem to trust Blake, yet. Personally, I think they need to - or dump him. If you don't trust your QB and he's not a rookie it's an issue.
 - The 4th down pass to Westbrook was underthrown. His timing still isn't perfect and he still tends to underthrow or not lead a receiver properly.
 - His mobility is excellent. Marrone said that the Patriots schemed their defense to take away the run which limited those options, but otherwise his legs are an asset.
 - In the playoffs, he never made the BIG mistake. No turnovers, no colossally stupid passes. Maybe a couple near misses were aggressive, but that's it.

The Allen Robinson injury was a killer. While not a true #1, he's their best receiver and they got to the Conference Championship. They also don't have a truly dynamic Tight End. Finally, the Line wasn't nearly as good as their #1 rushing offense ranking. The line looked good because of Blake's legs and a few long runs and fake punts.

Say what you want about Cousins, he has been a statistically top 8-12 QB in the NFL for the past three seasons. The 'Skins were gutted this past year of offensive talent and had an awful o-line. Cousins still balled.

With an oline that had him the 5th most sacked QB in the game, he was #7 in total yards, #8 in tds,  and #9 in completion percentage, and #12 in QB rating.

Last year, with a better team around him, he was #3 in total yards, #13 in tds, #8 in completion percentage, and #7 in QB rating.

In 2015, #5 in QB rating, #10 in yards, #12 in tds, and #1 in completion percentage.

He is gritty and has a fire on offense that will help take them up a notch. He is also only 29 so he has a solid 7-8 years left barring injury.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Bortles was statistically the #4 QB in 2015.

KenFSU

« Reply #9406 on: January 23, 2018, 04:28:37 PM »
I found nothing so moving and painful to watch in that loss as Bortles tearing up at the end.  After he showed so much stoicism and perseverance all year, to see him break like that was crushing.  And much as I've been frustrated with him at times, much as I've fantasized about how this team would've been a sure Super Bowl champion with certain other QBs, dadgum it, this whole experience made me want us to win it with Blake and let him stick it to everybody.

Whatever happens, I think he's ten times the man that some of these jackass critics like Chris Simms who call him trash ever will be.  And seeing him unfairly criticized and turned into a punch line, only to respond with pugnacious resolve and a few surprises for his opponents, somehow makes him the perfect embodiment of the city of Jacksonville in a lot of ways.

Absolutely love this.

And I totally agree that Blake Bortles is Jacksonville.

Plus, he's shown incredible improvement this year, his teammates love him, the world is catching on to how marketable he is, and - as Shad Khan is quick to point out - he's just a genuinely good guy.

Oh, and he led a 3-13 team to within one quarter of the Super Bowl.

Blake's my QB for 2018.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather lose the AFC Championship with Bortles as my QB than win the Super Bowl with Tom Brady.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9407 on: January 23, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »
You're crazy! ;-)
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #9408 on: January 23, 2018, 05:05:05 PM »
[
Call me crazy, but I'd rather lose the AFC Championship with Bortles as my QB than win the Super Bowl with Tom Brady.

I like Blake too but I will take the 6th round draft pick that started as a 4th stringer who worked himself up the depth chart and turned a 5-11 team into a Super Bowl champion the next year over the guy pretty much given a starting job due to draft status and had a 25 million $ contract.

MusicMan

« Reply #9409 on: January 23, 2018, 05:11:15 PM »
Remind me, what other QB's were taken after Blake the year he was drafted.........

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #9410 on: January 23, 2018, 05:34:22 PM »
Remind me, what other QB's were taken after Blake the year he was drafted.........

1st Round:
Johnny Manziel (!)
Teddy Bridgewater

2nd Round:
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo

4th Round:
Logan Thomas
Tom Savage

5th Round:
Aaron Murray
AJ McCarron

6th Round:
Zach Mettenberger
David Fales
Keith Wenning
Tajh Boyd
Garrett Gilbert

Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #9411 on: January 23, 2018, 05:38:49 PM »
^ Not sure if you're asking out of genuine curiosity or attempting to set up a Jimmy Garappolo or Derek Carr end-zone dance.

Manziel and Bridgewater went in the first, Carr and Jimmy G in the second, Tom Savage in the fourth, a few others who are still kicking around the league afterward.  McCarron, I guess, might have starter potential.

I don't think that anyone's trying to make the argument that Blake is the superior or most polished QB to come out of that draft, just that a lot of us find him endearing.

I'd also note that a few of the 2014 and 2015 draft QBs who have been considered far superior to Blake as articles of faith - Carr, Winston, Mariota - all regressed quite a bit this year. 

QBs do not emerge from the head of Zeus, fully formed and at their developmental peak.  Drew Brees looked borderline incompetent for three years, Alex Smith for longer than that.  Others look fantastic for a year or two, then flame out.

Even Brady was more an efficient/error-free guy who allowed his defense to carry the team in 2001 before he developed into a serial killer of others' dreams.  Yes, yes, I know, magical game-winning drive and perfect strike to Troy Brown and clock management etc. etc.

It's entirely possible that a couple years from now, the decision to draft Blake will look better than it does today.  And even today, I don't think he's objectively worse than Carr, Winston, Teddy, or the criminally overrated Mariota.  Certainly he's taken a team deeper into the playoffs than any of those guys has...and certainly the commentators like Gruden and Bayless who castigated us for not taking Manziel wouldn't have made the better choice.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:46:23 PM by Wacca Pilatka »
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #9412 on: January 23, 2018, 06:04:37 PM »
This is just me, but I don't care how Blake compares to others drafted before him or after him. What's done is done. All that matters is going forward. The Jags have burned thru the gift of the football gods they were given with the CBA changes coinciding perfectly with their rather extended burn it all down rebuild.

But now they have to start practicing roster construction and salary cap management like a real franchise. Oh, and no more picking in the top 5 of every round (which is good news).
 Now that Blake is off his rookie contract, at 19 mil, he will count more than 10% of the cap as would some of the other options and more if Cousins. Combine that with the monster investment in defense, it will be painful if they screw up QB going forward. I do not envy having to make this choice.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #9413 on: January 23, 2018, 06:14:23 PM »
^ Wholeheartedly agree on all counts.

A QB who provides equal production to Blake isn't going to fall into our lap at a bargain price (other than through the draft, potentially).  $15-20 million is about the going rate for middle of the road performance.

Even assuming no progression, the Jags can also make a QB equal to 2017 Blake in aptitude look better with an upgrade at guard, and with a tight end* who's more of a receiving threat without being a complete zero as a blocker.

I'm inclined to think these are our top free agency and first round draft target areas.

Credit to Pat Flaherty for doing a fine job coaching this offensive line.  It held up better than I thought it would and had a few genuinely great games (Seattle and Pittsburgh in particular).  But in my estimation, we only have three good starters, Linder and the tackles.  I think Cann's an adequate starter and Omameh's a marginal one.  Agreed with the upthread comment that Blake's mobility and a few big plays made the line's overall production look better than it really was.

*Not that I want to jettison Marcedes, because he's right with Blake in the ranks of people I really, really want to see get a Super Bowl ring
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:22:11 PM by Wacca Pilatka »
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

MusicMan

« Reply #9414 on: January 23, 2018, 09:38:41 PM »
Only one I would prefer to have now is Garappolo. I did not remember at all................

Blake played well down the stretch. Upgrade the coaching and keep the players we have.

Was just informed Jags had a new QB coach this year, so that may be why BB improved as the year went on.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:53:39 AM by MusicMan »

RattlerGator

« Reply #9415 on: January 25, 2018, 06:13:30 PM »
Phenomenal season for the Jaguars.

I am 100% in the Blake Bortles camp; he achieved against the odds this season, given the preseason criticism from *all* corners and media in this market openly talking trash about him (some players, too). Then you add the injuries to his WRs and what he accomplished is remarkable. That Pittsburgh game was the clincher; he saved our ass and people still don't want to admit that.

Finally, I don't think that 4th down pass was so much under-thrown as it was tossed where it had to be given the sideline crunch and the route Westbrook ran. The DB just made a great, great play. Ballgame. When Blake let it go, I thought that was going to win us the game. It just wasn't meant to be.

But what a thrilling playoff run.

KenFSU

« Reply #9416 on: January 28, 2018, 11:53:48 AM »
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!

marcuscnelson

« Reply #9417 on: January 29, 2018, 12:10:36 AM »
Hope to see you all in Atlanta next year!

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #9418 on: January 30, 2018, 07:55:21 AM »
So, the guy that so many people love to criticize needed surgery on his throwing wrist the entire time?  Good grief, this makes his performances in the playoffs even more remarkable.

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/nfl/jaguars/report-blake-bortles-underwent-wrist-surgery

KenFSU

« Reply #9419 on: January 30, 2018, 09:14:53 AM »
THE PEOPLE'S QUARTERBACK.