Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1332310 times)

Wacca Pilatka

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #9420 on: January 23, 2018, 05:38:49 PM »
^ Not sure if you're asking out of genuine curiosity or attempting to set up a Jimmy Garappolo or Derek Carr end-zone dance.

Manziel and Bridgewater went in the first, Carr and Jimmy G in the second, Tom Savage in the fourth, a few others who are still kicking around the league afterward.  McCarron, I guess, might have starter potential.

I don't think that anyone's trying to make the argument that Blake is the superior or most polished QB to come out of that draft, just that a lot of us find him endearing.

I'd also note that a few of the 2014 and 2015 draft QBs who have been considered far superior to Blake as articles of faith - Carr, Winston, Mariota - all regressed quite a bit this year. 

QBs do not emerge from the head of Zeus, fully formed and at their developmental peak.  Drew Brees looked borderline incompetent for three years, Alex Smith for longer than that.  Others look fantastic for a year or two, then flame out.

Even Brady was more an efficient/error-free guy who allowed his defense to carry the team in 2001 before he developed into a serial killer of others' dreams.  Yes, yes, I know, magical game-winning drive and perfect strike to Troy Brown and clock management etc. etc.

It's entirely possible that a couple years from now, the decision to draft Blake will look better than it does today.  And even today, I don't think he's objectively worse than Carr, Winston, Teddy, or the criminally overrated Mariota.  Certainly he's taken a team deeper into the playoffs than any of those guys has...and certainly the commentators like Gruden and Bayless who castigated us for not taking Manziel wouldn't have made the better choice.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:46:23 PM by Wacca Pilatka »
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #9421 on: January 23, 2018, 06:04:37 PM »
This is just me, but I don't care how Blake compares to others drafted before him or after him. What's done is done. All that matters is going forward. The Jags have burned thru the gift of the football gods they were given with the CBA changes coinciding perfectly with their rather extended burn it all down rebuild.

But now they have to start practicing roster construction and salary cap management like a real franchise. Oh, and no more picking in the top 5 of every round (which is good news).
 Now that Blake is off his rookie contract, at 19 mil, he will count more than 10% of the cap as would some of the other options and more if Cousins. Combine that with the monster investment in defense, it will be painful if they screw up QB going forward. I do not envy having to make this choice.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #9422 on: January 23, 2018, 06:14:23 PM »
^ Wholeheartedly agree on all counts.

A QB who provides equal production to Blake isn't going to fall into our lap at a bargain price (other than through the draft, potentially).  $15-20 million is about the going rate for middle of the road performance.

Even assuming no progression, the Jags can also make a QB equal to 2017 Blake in aptitude look better with an upgrade at guard, and with a tight end* who's more of a receiving threat without being a complete zero as a blocker.

I'm inclined to think these are our top free agency and first round draft target areas.

Credit to Pat Flaherty for doing a fine job coaching this offensive line.  It held up better than I thought it would and had a few genuinely great games (Seattle and Pittsburgh in particular).  But in my estimation, we only have three good starters, Linder and the tackles.  I think Cann's an adequate starter and Omameh's a marginal one.  Agreed with the upthread comment that Blake's mobility and a few big plays made the line's overall production look better than it really was.

*Not that I want to jettison Marcedes, because he's right with Blake in the ranks of people I really, really want to see get a Super Bowl ring
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:22:11 PM by Wacca Pilatka »
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

MusicMan

« Reply #9423 on: January 23, 2018, 09:38:41 PM »
Only one I would prefer to have now is Garappolo. I did not remember at all................

Blake played well down the stretch. Upgrade the coaching and keep the players we have.

Was just informed Jags had a new QB coach this year, so that may be why BB improved as the year went on.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:53:39 AM by MusicMan »

RattlerGator

« Reply #9424 on: January 25, 2018, 06:13:30 PM »
Phenomenal season for the Jaguars.

I am 100% in the Blake Bortles camp; he achieved against the odds this season, given the preseason criticism from *all* corners and media in this market openly talking trash about him (some players, too). Then you add the injuries to his WRs and what he accomplished is remarkable. That Pittsburgh game was the clincher; he saved our ass and people still don't want to admit that.

Finally, I don't think that 4th down pass was so much under-thrown as it was tossed where it had to be given the sideline crunch and the route Westbrook ran. The DB just made a great, great play. Ballgame. When Blake let it go, I thought that was going to win us the game. It just wasn't meant to be.

But what a thrilling playoff run.

KenFSU

« Reply #9425 on: January 28, 2018, 11:53:48 AM »
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

marcuscnelson

« Reply #9426 on: January 29, 2018, 12:10:36 AM »
Hope to see you all in Atlanta next year!

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #9427 on: January 30, 2018, 07:55:21 AM »
So, the guy that so many people love to criticize needed surgery on his throwing wrist the entire time?  Good grief, this makes his performances in the playoffs even more remarkable.

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/nfl/jaguars/report-blake-bortles-underwent-wrist-surgery

KenFSU

« Reply #9428 on: January 30, 2018, 09:14:53 AM »
THE PEOPLE'S QUARTERBACK.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #9429 on: January 30, 2018, 09:21:39 AM »
If the wrist was healthy in 2016, I would have advised not to have the procedure.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #9430 on: January 30, 2018, 10:46:22 PM »
With Alex Smith to the Redskins, Blake should be back and the Jaguars should sign him to an extension.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9431 on: January 31, 2018, 06:49:47 AM »
With Alex Smith to the Redskins, Blake should be back and the Jaguars should sign him to an extension.

National media seems to think the Jags are a distinct possibility for Cousins...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

ben says

« Reply #9432 on: January 31, 2018, 01:26:12 PM »

National media seems to think the Jags are a distinct possibility for Cousins...

As of now, quite the opposite I guess  ;)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/despite-kirk-cousins-availability-jaguars-reportedly-sticking-with-blake-bortles/
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9433 on: January 31, 2018, 01:31:13 PM »
re:  the wrist injury.

You can look at it how you want, but if it was injured in 2016 'per sources' and was playing through it and he just started taking injections (assumed cortizone) this year, and having another career year in metrics other than yards and TDs, maybe 2015 Bortles that set the franchise record in passing yards and TDs wasn't the anomaly. 

Maybe his abysmal 2016 was a combination of injury and bad coaching decisions both offseason - Remember that Olsen told him to not fly out to CA to work with his throwing coach in the offseason, and during the season.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #9434 on: January 31, 2018, 02:03:55 PM »
^ The under-discussed element in 2016 is that Olsen insisted on a zone blocking scheme with a line full of guys whose skill set was ill-suited to that, and Gus brilliantly refused to employ a fullback (other than occasionally trotting Alualu out as one), and Julius Thomas showed a general lack of interest in run blocking.  The end result was a running game that consisted of Ivory and Yeldon plowing into piles of meat 25 times a game for 50 total yards, with Ivory occasionally contributing a bonus fumble.

I suspect this compounded the problems of possible injury and Olsen's refusal to let Blake work with the throwing coach, in that it put overwhelming pressure on Blake to win the game through the air.  Not to mention that defenses took away the deep shots to Robinson and Olsen had no adequate answer.  And that the entire sports media responded with an overbearing collective chorus of "LOL Blake's so bad" that still hasn't died down that much.

Blake's 2016 wasn't good by any measure, but it got better after Hackett replaced Olsen and instituted some better basic concepts, and appreciably better in the final two games after Gus was shown the door.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:07:42 PM by Wacca Pilatka »

Henry J. Klutho