Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1406261 times)

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #9285 on: January 15, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »
Million dollar question: how do we make sure that the patriots don't CHEAT their way to victory again?

pierre

« Reply #9286 on: January 15, 2018, 01:53:21 PM »
It has been discussed a lot on local radio today.

But it is amazing how many different players had key plays yesterday.

TJ Yeldon I think was the unsung hero. He stepped in for Fournette and had a big TD. He had a huge block on one of Blake's scrambles. And his 40 yard catch on a little dump off from Bortles was huge.

Still cannot believe this team is playing for a chance to go to the Super Bowl.

Amazing.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #9287 on: January 15, 2018, 02:14:44 PM »
Yeldon was awesome. I wonder what it's like to be the man like he was, then a few years later watch a rookie very clearly take over your MAN status and become beloved by most of the fanbase (well entire fanbase last night). TJ stepped up and he seems like a consummate professional.

Who's going? I decided that I probably won't go to MSP so this is my Super Bowl. I have at least 4 or 5 other friends going to the game. Ticket prices haven't dropped at all since the upset. I am expecting them to at some point...

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9288 on: January 15, 2018, 02:30:33 PM »
Anyone from up North have an actual winter coat I can borrow?  I've never been farther up than Tennessee in January.   And I guess Steeler fan just dumped a bunch of tickets back on the market, because prices aren't ridiculous.

Are you definitely going to the game? We will plan/decide tonight.

If Mrs. NRW can get her shifts covered at the hospital, then the odds go up greatly.

I have to let the winner's high cool off a bit before I drop a ton of money into this to see if I really want to go v/s I really like the idea of going.  ;)
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
« Reply #9289 on: January 15, 2018, 03:06:27 PM »
Anyone from up North have an actual winter coat I can borrow?  I've never been farther up than Tennessee in January.   And I guess Steeler fan just dumped a bunch of tickets back on the market, because prices aren't ridiculous.

Are you definitely going to the game? We will plan/decide tonight.

If Mrs. NRW can get her shifts covered at the hospital, then the odds go up greatly.

I have to let the winner's high cool off a bit before I drop a ton of money into this to see if I really want to go v/s I really like the idea of going.  ;)

I know the feeling. Schedule may end up saving us from ourselves because if we go, we will go big. We will likely do Patriot Place ( off the charts financially stupid) since there is still shockingly some availability or turn it into one of our Boston getaways which will likely end up even more expensive as our euphoria will be channeled into excessive celebrating.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #9290 on: January 15, 2018, 03:37:39 PM »

TJ Yeldon I think was the unsung hero. He stepped in for Fournette and had a big TD. He had a huge block on one of Blake's scrambles. And his 40 yard catch on a little dump off from Bortles was huge.

To toot my own horn, I called that play!  It looked structurally similar to the play in the home game against the Colts where Blake dumped it off to Yeldon in the flat on a 3rd and long for a first down, and I said that was what was about to happen. 

Granted, I have about a .00003% success rate on these predictions, not counting plays where Marcedes is lined up wide against a 5'10" safety.

And that block was made all the more wonderful given that it was at the expense of Mike Mitchell.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #9291 on: January 15, 2018, 08:12:49 PM »
I know the feeling. Schedule may end up saving us from ourselves because if we go, we will go big. We will likely do Patriot Place ( off the charts financially stupid) since there is still shockingly some availability or turn it into one of our Boston getaways which will likely end up even more expensive as our euphoria will be channeled into excessive celebrating.

SMM, you must know the lay of the land. Any recs on getting to the stadium and/or things to do on gameday?

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #9292 on: January 16, 2018, 08:10:10 AM »

SMM, you must know the lay of the land. Any recs on getting to the stadium and/or things to do on gameday?

I actually don't know the lay of the land anymore but the good news is that they have really built up Patriot Place so plenty of eat/drink options right around the stadium.
The bad news is that I expect traffic is even worse. There are plenty of decent reasonable lodging options within 3-5 miles of the stadium. Traffic is insane, and with security/entering the stadium, plan to get to there EARLY. I do not recommend parking at the stadium unless you want to get a jump on next years AFC championship as you may still be there. If you park at one of the outside lots along the way and walk it (maybe a mile or so) getting out should be much quicker. Weather still looks pretty nice.

Our final plan was to stay at a Back Bay hotel in Boston and take the  shuttle(kind of a luxury bus) from Boston Common but only because we were going to extend the trip. However, as of this morning, it looks like we will staying here.

MusicMan

« Reply #9293 on: January 16, 2018, 08:33:12 AM »
TJ Weldon has been really helpful this season, once he saw the field. He's fresh, which is not an easy thing to accomplish unless you sit out the first 9 games or so....

Wonder if Chris Ivory will be active this weekend.  I think we might need him if we are going to pound the rock.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #9294 on: January 16, 2018, 10:17:20 AM »

I actually don't know the lay of the land anymore but the good news is that they have really built up Patriot Place so plenty of eat/drink options right around the stadium.
The bad news is that I expect traffic is even worse. There are plenty of decent reasonable lodging options within 3-5 miles of the stadium. Traffic is insane, and with security/entering the stadium, plan to get to there EARLY. I do not recommend parking at the stadium unless you want to get a jump on next years AFC championship as you may still be there. If you park at one of the outside lots along the way and walk it (maybe a mile or so) getting out should be much quicker. Weather still looks pretty nice.

Our final plan was to stay at a Back Bay hotel in Boston and take the  shuttle(kind of a luxury bus) from Boston Common but only because we were going to extend the trip. However, as of this morning, it looks like we will staying here.

Gotcha. Ok thanks for the tips. Staying with friends so not looking for lodging. We were thinking we would have to stay a few hours to sober up before driving out so traffic might not be as much of an issue.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9295 on: January 16, 2018, 11:23:29 AM »
TJ Weldon has been really helpful this season, once he saw the field. He's fresh, which is not an easy thing to accomplish unless you sit out the first 9 games or so....

Wonder if Chris Ivory will be active this weekend.  I think we might need him if we are going to pound the rock.

Ivory has been a healthy scratch in 2 of the last 5 games and was active and didn't play a snap in 2 of those games.

I think he's in bubble wrap and will be a cap casualty next season.  I mean... he hasn't really been effective this year. 

If Ivory goes, that leaves Grants as an RFA, Yeldon on the final year of his rookie deal and obviously Fournette in year 2. 

There's no need to pay Ivory almost $7M next year for limited production, although we'll still have $3M in dead money, but we can also take $2M of the $4M we save and spread it out to Grant for another 2 years- roughly a 62% raise.

And none of this figures in what we might do in the draft or FA.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:29:19 AM by Non-RedNeck Westsider »
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #9296 on: January 16, 2018, 11:53:36 AM »
I'd be shocked if Ivory weren't a cap casualty. 

I think they tried to keep him active for most of the year due to his having a similar running style to Fournette and some blocking and receiving skills.  But Yeldon has those skills, plus more speed and agility, and I think Ivory sealed his fate when his fumbling problems returned.

I'm inclined to think Yeldon and Grant both return.  I'm also inclined to think the Jaguars seek an upgrade at one starting guard spot, if not both, and a few veterans are going to have to be cap casualties for that to happen.

Also, there's little chance that more than one of the trio of Robinson, Hurns, and Lee is retained.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #9297 on: January 16, 2018, 12:17:57 PM »
ARob will be back. Question is whether Hurns or Lee will return, or neither. I am guessing it's Hurns, with an outside chance of neither.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #9298 on: January 16, 2018, 12:23:44 PM »
I realize the confusion, people are a creature of habit, and normally this time of year there has been weeks of off-season discussion....

but the Jags season isn't over yet!

That is all.

KenFSU

« Reply #9299 on: January 16, 2018, 01:21:07 PM »
Local ratings for Sunday's game were INSANE.

Peaked at a 72 share locally.

https://twitter.com/brentasjax/status/953278973856899073
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/