Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1274338 times)

Wacca Pilatka

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #9045 on: December 06, 2017, 12:51:24 PM »
^Thank you both.

I think SMM is correct on the other factors like player safety, inconsistent handling of off field incidents, etc. depressing interest.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Tacachale

« Reply #9046 on: December 06, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
So are  you saying the low attendance has nothing to do with the "protests?"

Sorry, I thought I was clear. I am saying that the slight increase in attendance was due to more Colt fans than Charger fans attending the game.
 I think there is a variety of reasons for the overall disappointing attendance.

One of which is the protests.

Maybe. If I recall,  paid attendance jumped after the protests. So, perhaps protests are helping.

The way I see it -

From 2013-2016, the Jags had an attendance baseline of about 59,000 between season ticket, partial game, and broker packages.  That was the kind of number for tickets distributed you'd see in preseason or inconsequential regular season games against fan bases that don't travel well.

That number would jump by 2k-5k for single-game sales if we were playing a popular visiting team (e.g. Packers in the 2016 opener, Steelers in 2014) or if the game seemed to have some consequence (e.g. Falcons in late 2015 when the Jags had a vague outside shot of winning the division).

This year we shed some season ticket holders who had given up on the organization, or brokers who were less attracted to this year's home opponent schedule, so the baseline dropped to 56,000 - that was about our tickets distributed figure for the preseason games.

The first home game this year drew 61,000 because we distributed 5,000 free tickets to first responders, etc. post-Irma.

The second game against the Rams was back down to 56,000.  In between the Titans game and the Rams game, two things happened that seemingly offset themselves: 1) the protests apparently caused some people to turn in their season tickets, dropping our baseline below 56,000; 2) the Jaguars showed some evidence of being good with the stompings of Baltimore and Pittsburgh, causing increased single-game sales to offset the lost protest sales.

Thus, for the Jags to have drawn 60-61k for the Chargers, Colts, and Bengals games, I suspect there were about 7,000 single-game and new partial season ticket packages sold for each of those games.

If this were 2015 or 2016, where we had 59k as our baseline, we'd be looking at sold-out games.  But because of the preseason disillusionment with the franchise and some protest backlash, we're coming up 3,000 or 4,000 short.  The Seattle game may yet be a sellout (or close) since it's a highly consequential game against a popular team.

Really great analysis here.

Agreed. Also agree with SMM.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #9047 on: December 06, 2017, 01:41:47 PM »
Ok, Let's talk about something important.

I cannot wait for this Sunday. This is a MONSTER game. I think the stadium will be electric. And I won't be distracted by the Pats as they play Monday which is good because I expect to have some "Twelves" around me so I need to focus and be on top of my game in dealing with them.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #9048 on: December 06, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »
In light of recent QB developments combined with dream schedule, the Jags making the playoffs is a Stone Cold Lock. Yes, I said it. The Jags are in. Guaranteed.

4-3 at the time you cowards...

They are close....

Jags  Clinch playoff berth with win AND, MIA loss, BUF loss, LAC loss, NYJ loss

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #9049 on: December 06, 2017, 02:44:18 PM »
SMM, I'll see your bold call after 4-3 and raise you this...  :D

^ I expect we'll see a lot of inconsistency this year.

The Jags' formula is predicated on ball control with running and controlled passing, getting ahead early and allowing the defense to tee off and force turnovers.

It'll work probably at least half the time (particularly given that the Jags have a relatively soft schedule).  When it does, it can snowball because it's easier to create turnovers against a team playing from behind (particularly with the speed the Jags have at CB and LB, and with improved pass rush).  Turnovers create the scoring opportunities to break the game open.

When it doesn't - e.g., going against a team with a very strong offensive line like the Titans' that doesn't allow the defense to rampage - it can snowball in the other direction if the Jags can't control the ball.  Giving up turnovers, getting into holes with penalties, allowed the Titans to get a short field consistently in the second half.  The Jag defense tired out, understandably, and the game got out of control.

It's a lot like the 2004-06 editions of the Jags, really.  They have a formula that can work, but they aren't going to be well-equipped for playing in shootouts or coming from behind, and they don't have a lot of margin for offensive error.  Of course, those teams went 9-7, 12-4, and 8-8, respectively, even the least of which would be a huge step forward from the past several years. 

The 2006 team in particular comes to mind; it outscored its opponents by over 100 points, but it had a tendency to either dominate (beating the Colts by 27, the Jets by 41, etc.) or lay an egg (losing badly twice to the then-bad Texans).

If Blake can average out to 2006 David Garrard-level play, this team will go 10-6.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #9050 on: December 06, 2017, 02:53:45 PM »
SMM, I'll see your bold call after 4-3 and raise you this...  :D

^ I expect we'll see a lot of inconsistency this year.

The Jags' formula is predicated on ball control with running and controlled passing, getting ahead early and allowing the defense to tee off and force turnovers.

It'll work probably at least half the time (particularly given that the Jags have a relatively soft schedule).  When it does, it can snowball because it's easier to create turnovers against a team playing from behind (particularly with the speed the Jags have at CB and LB, and with improved pass rush).  Turnovers create the scoring opportunities to break the game open.

When it doesn't - e.g., going against a team with a very strong offensive line like the Titans' that doesn't allow the defense to rampage - it can snowball in the other direction if the Jags can't control the ball.  Giving up turnovers, getting into holes with penalties, allowed the Titans to get a short field consistently in the second half.  The Jag defense tired out, understandably, and the game got out of control.

It's a lot like the 2004-06 editions of the Jags, really.  They have a formula that can work, but they aren't going to be well-equipped for playing in shootouts or coming from behind, and they don't have a lot of margin for offensive error.  Of course, those teams went 9-7, 12-4, and 8-8, respectively, even the least of which would be a huge step forward from the past several years. 

The 2006 team in particular comes to mind; it outscored its opponents by over 100 points, but it had a tendency to either dominate (beating the Colts by 27, the Jets by 41, etc.) or lay an egg (losing badly twice to the then-bad Texans).

If Blake can average out to 2006 David Garrard-level play, this team will go 10-6.

Nice!!!! Hopefully you were too conservative.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #9051 on: December 06, 2017, 03:23:09 PM »
^^Sorry guys but I have you all beat. I was predicting the Jags to win 12 games and contend for the Super Bowl all the way back in 2008.  ;D

Jerry Porter and Troy Williamson gonna fix the WR position. And Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves are just what we need to get to the QB.  :-[

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #9052 on: December 06, 2017, 04:07:34 PM »
That brings back some horrible memories.

Other than that strange discussion on the old Jag message board where Porter told a guy in Publix that he was at 93% full recovery from his injury.  That stayed funny for a while.

Henry J. Klutho

jaxjaguar

« Reply #9053 on: December 10, 2017, 08:07:23 PM »
9-4 with sole possession of the lead in the AFC South.... Who saw this happening at the beginning of the season?

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #9054 on: December 10, 2017, 10:15:57 PM »
That was the best Bortles has played since he’s been here I think. Awesomeness!

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #9055 on: December 10, 2017, 11:51:38 PM »
So who's ready to hit the road?? I'm bummed I won't be able to make it to a wild card game, even if it's in Jax.
Divisional I can do...best case scenario would be in Jax...which is a long shot but is plausible if the Ravens hold on tonight. If it's in PIT or NE I'm ready to fly. Same for the conference championship, should we be so fortunate. And Minny?? OK I admit maybe I'm riding too high off that win. But the mistakes on D are totally fixable and otherwise the Jags were dominant in that one.

That was the best Bortles has played since he’s been here I think. Awesomeness!

Yes, quite possible.

MusicMan

« Reply #9056 on: December 11, 2017, 12:12:35 AM »
Great game. Bortles played well. No turnovers.  There were a few times I would have liked to see him run, there was open field in front of him. Other than that a really entertaining game. Lots of big plays. Not used to seeing that at Everbank Field.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #9058 on: December 11, 2017, 09:16:33 AM »
Yawn. It was the shootout everyone expected.

Crowd was much better with  a bump of about 3000. Of course, there was quite a few Seahawk fans so it will be interesting to see what next weeks game looks like.

I expect little drama the rest of the way and will be surprised if the Jags do not have division clinched in 2 weeks. The Titans suck.

And, unless the ridiculous injuries finally catch up with the Pats tonight in Miami ( and where they have struggled in the past ), I see little chance of a bye. After they play each other on Sunday, The last 2 games for the Steelers and the Pats are a joke.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #9059 on: December 11, 2017, 09:21:26 AM »
^ Yes, the chance of a bye pretty much died with Pittsburgh beat Baltimore.  Had the Ravens won that, and Pittsburgh then lost to New England, we'd have had a tiebreaker on Pitt assuming the Jags won out.

Henry J. Klutho