Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1272603 times)

sanmarcomatt

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #8730 on: October 10, 2017, 04:08:52 PM »
The politics will hopefully fade away soon. If they win this week, and take care of business against a bad Indy team without Luck, that Nov 5 game against the Bengals will be lit. Winning will heal most issues.

I completely agree with this. I doubt this weeks attendance will be great, but I think that Bengal game could be a great home crowd.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #8731 on: October 11, 2017, 10:11:03 AM »
Now THAT was a fun game to watch.  We've broken several team defensive records in just 5 games and are in our best divisional position 5 games into the season in over a decade.

Looks like we finally have a Fred Taylor quality RB again.  That 90 yard TD run was a regular season team record and was clocked as the fastest speed by any player in the league this season.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8732 on: October 11, 2017, 10:43:29 AM »
The politics will hopefully fade away soon. If they win this week, and take care of business against a bad Indy team without Luck, that Nov 5 game against the Bengals will be lit. Winning will heal most issues.

I completely agree with this. I doubt this weeks attendance will be great, but I think that Bengal game could be a great home crowd.

I think since this is a 4:05 kickoff, attendance will be better than normal since it should be cooling off by late afternoon.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8733 on: October 11, 2017, 10:50:41 AM »
Now THAT was a fun game to watch.  We've broken several team defensive records in just 5 games and are in our best divisional position 5 games into the season in over a decade.

Looks like we finally have a Fred Taylor quality RB again.  That 90 yard TD run was a regular season team record and was clocked as the fastest speed by any player in the league this season.

The thing that I loved the most, that I didn't pick up during the game but saw on replays, is that LF27 and Mike Mitchell from the Steelers were absolutely going at it all day long.  It was capped off by Fournette waving him in before lowering the boom.  But seeing 2 guys go at it like that, one being a rookie, is why I love competitive sports.  Man up and let the best guy win, talking shit back and forth the entire game and then shaking hands and nothing but respect after the final whistle.  To me.... this is football at it's best.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1swdagwhsG0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1swdagwhsG0</a>

I guess you'll have to click over to YouTube, but it's worth 2 minutes of your day.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:53:38 AM by Non-RedNeck Westsider »
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Tacachale

« Reply #8734 on: October 11, 2017, 11:21:20 AM »
It'll be interesting to see what the attendance is like on Sunday. On the one hand, folks are allowing themselves to get excited due to how the team is playing. On the other hand, 35% upset about the protests is a substantial number, especially considering it's heavily Republicans, who anecdotally make up a larger share of the ticket buys.

My guess is that in the longer term, the team's record will have a bigger impact than this one protest.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8735 on: October 11, 2017, 11:35:29 AM »
It'll be interesting to see what the attendance is like on Sunday. On the one hand, folks are allowing themselves to get excited due to how the team is playing. On the other hand, 35% upset about the protests is a substantial number, especially considering it's heavily Republicans, who anecdotally make up a larger share of the ticket buys.

My guess is that in the longer term, the team's record will have a bigger impact than this one protest.

I agree 1k% on the last statement. 

With regard to the protests, I seriously don't think it has an actual effect on 35%.

I put it in the category with just about every other faux-rage that gets spread through the media:  Millions of people via national news, Tens of thousands via social media, thousands via local TV news, hundreds via local print media, <100 in physical willingness to do anything.

I won't even use this post to put the Tebow Rally picture up again.
-Douglas Adams

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #8736 on: October 12, 2017, 05:28:04 PM »
Sooooo.... heard two defensive nicknames today.

The defensive front line.... Sacksonville.

The defensive backfield... The Jackson Five...

Discuss... ;D
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Tacachale

« Reply #8737 on: October 12, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »
Sooooo.... heard two defensive nicknames today.

The defensive front line.... Sacksonville.

The defensive backfield... The Jackson Five...

Discuss... ;D

As one of my friends said on Facebook, at least we're no longer "Sad-Sacksonville".
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8738 on: October 12, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »

Lol, people are still protesting? The only thing I've heard all week is the anti-protester Dolphins OL coach being dumb enough to videotape himself snorting white lines at work and sending it to a Vegas stripper.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #8739 on: October 13, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »

I guess you'll have to click over to YouTube, but it's worth 2 minutes of your day.

Fournette waving that safety to bring it on literally gives me chills. I love it so much.  I have watched it several times since Sunday.   

pierre

« Reply #8740 on: October 13, 2017, 09:33:41 AM »
This weekend's game should be a good barometer for where the rest of the season plays out.

On paper a lot of things are going in the Jags favor.

They play a team that lost a heartbreaker at home to a division rival. A team that is having to travel across the country to play a game here. And Jacksonville is just a pit stop for them, as the Rams leave for London following the game.

Jared Goff has been off to a good start but struggled last week. I think if you can get to him early and establish the run, it is very much a winnable game. But I've only felt confident about one game this year, and the team lost to the Jets.

Tacachale

« Reply #8741 on: October 13, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »

Lol, people are still protesting? The only thing I've heard all week is the anti-protester Dolphins OL coach being dumb enough to videotape himself snorting white lines at work and sending it to a Vegas stripper.

I don't know about protesting, but they're still tuning out. Attendance and TV ratings are still down. The Jax numbers are foreboding as it's mostly Republicans, who make up a good chunk of the ticket buyers.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-tv-television-ratings-down-numbers-national-anthem-protests/l2x7dhlkuubk1tbeftag9ttis

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8742 on: October 13, 2017, 01:39:17 PM »

I don't know about protesting, but they're still tuning out. Attendance and TV ratings are still down. The Jax numbers are foreboding as it's mostly Republicans, who make up a good chunk of the ticket buyers.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-tv-television-ratings-down-numbers-national-anthem-protests/l2x7dhlkuubk1tbeftag9ttis

But there's so many other factors involved with the lack of ratings that the flag issue is only just a part of.  Where do you watch the games?  Because you sure as hell don't have to sit home in front of the TV to do it.  I've cut cable, that's been mentioned, but I also have phone service with Verizon, so built into my plan is the ability to stream any nationally televised game right to my phone.  So if it's a game I'm only mildly interested in, there's no reason to plan around being home to watch. 

And the NFL's own broadcasting partners (read:  media) are the ones blowing this thing up in their own faces.  It wasn't until this year that they even broadcast the anthem.  Now by doing so, they're spiting themselves by forcing their own viewers to tune out because of the perceived issue.
-Douglas Adams

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #8743 on: October 13, 2017, 01:46:55 PM »

But there's so many other factors involved with the lack of ratings that the flag issue is only just a part of.  Where do you watch the games?  Because you sure as hell don't have to sit home in front of the TV to do it.  I've cut cable, that's been mentioned, but I also have phone service with Verizon, so built into my plan is the ability to stream any nationally televised game right to my phone.  So if it's a game I'm only mildly interested in, there's no reason to plan around being home to watch. 

And the NFL's own broadcasting partners (read:  media) are the ones blowing this thing up in their own faces.  It wasn't until this year that they even broadcast the anthem.  Now by doing so, they're spiting themselves by forcing their own viewers to tune out because of the perceived issue.
I can vouch for this too.  I've watched games on everything but my cable connected TV this year.  From Sling TV with ESPN to CBS All-Access, I've watched on my phone, tablet, computer monitor or through some other device.

Also, a few hurricanes and the worse mass shooting in US history probably has dampened ratings for a lot of things.

Tacachale

« Reply #8744 on: October 13, 2017, 02:19:16 PM »
^There are a lot of factors, but this is one of them. If I were the Jags, especially, I'd be pretty worried about those figures. I guess we'll see on Sunday.