Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1276164 times)

Wacca Pilatka

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #8655 on: September 25, 2017, 12:47:23 PM »
I found myself tuning out last year because I was finding most games that didn't involve my team boring and predictable.  I would watch the Jaguars game and then barely pay attention the rest of the day, and I've always been someone who avidly watched every game placed in front of me, regardless of whether it involved my team (and well before the Jaguars existed). 

With the league being more passing game-friendly than ever before, there seemed to be a wider gap than ever between teams with marquee QBs and teams without one, and the outcome of the entire season seemed pretty much predicated on who the elite QBs were.  That wasn't always the case; in pre-2000s football, a team with a great passer/receivers but not much else was much less likely to thrive than now.

I also perceive more emphasis on the marquee teams/glamour markets now than 20-30 years ago.  Not that they weren't always emphasized, or shouldn't be, but the night games feature the same teams more than ever before - I think there used to be a limit of three prime time games per team per season, and now Dallas is on Sunday or Monday night football every other weekend.  And certain broadcasts (particularly anything involving Phil Simms at CBS) would just devolve into inane chatter about a handful of star players.  The overwhelming number of commercials made it even more tedious. 

This year I get the sense that the NFL has made a few tangible improvements in broadcast quality.  Just having Romo, who provides actual analysis, replace Simms makes a massive difference to me.  The commercials are less frequent and obtrusive too.  I'm finding myself more enthusiastic over watching non-Jaguar games this year.  Granted, that may be a function of my being in a happy mood after two of the three Jaguar games.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:51:40 PM by Wacca Pilatka »
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Tacachale

« Reply #8656 on: September 25, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »
^For me, I only care about the Jags and rarely watch any other games. Just don't feel like blowing a whole day or evening watching TV. And I certainly don't need to watch analysis by some talking heads about teams and players I couldn't care less about. When it started becoming clear earlier in the season that the Jags weren't going anywhere, I tuned out more and more. This year, I'm more invested as the Jags are showing some real improvement, so I find myself paying attention more and more.

Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8657 on: September 25, 2017, 01:34:49 PM »
Now that I think about it, I watch TV less, in general. Being in Jax, I live stream the Dolphin games when I can and I really don't care that much about sitting down to watch the other games. When I was younger, I could blow a whole weekend watching professional and college games. Now with the cell phone, I can go about my day and check the score or get play-by-play without sitting on the couch or in a sports bar for Dolphin and Canes games. The other thing is all the games don't come on regular tv anymore. I would have watched the Jags game if it were available in Orlando this weekend. Growing up, they used to get Dolphin, Jags and Bucs games every Sunday. It wasn't, so I ended up getting an earlier start on my day than I originally planned.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #8658 on: September 25, 2017, 01:52:25 PM »
Will the real Jaguars please stand up?   They dominate or get dominated.  Sure, just 3 games in but it's either eyeball popping wow or same ol Jags.
But hey, even if they kept this same pace, they'd still end up 8-8 and possibly winning the division.

By the way, we have a top 3 defense and a top 3 scoring offense.  That certainly doesn't happen every year (or ever, for that matter).

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #8659 on: September 25, 2017, 02:32:28 PM »
^ I expect we'll see a lot of inconsistency this year.

The Jags' formula is predicated on ball control with running and controlled passing, getting ahead early and allowing the defense to tee off and force turnovers.

It'll work probably at least half the time (particularly given that the Jags have a relatively soft schedule).  When it does, it can snowball because it's easier to create turnovers against a team playing from behind (particularly with the speed the Jags have at CB and LB, and with improved pass rush).  Turnovers create the scoring opportunities to break the game open.

When it doesn't - e.g., going against a team with a very strong offensive line like the Titans' that doesn't allow the defense to rampage - it can snowball in the other direction if the Jags can't control the ball.  Giving up turnovers, getting into holes with penalties, allowed the Titans to get a short field consistently in the second half.  The Jag defense tired out, understandably, and the game got out of control.

It's a lot like the 2004-06 editions of the Jags, really.  They have a formula that can work, but they aren't going to be well-equipped for playing in shootouts or coming from behind, and they don't have a lot of margin for offensive error.  Of course, those teams went 9-7, 12-4, and 8-8, respectively, even the least of which would be a huge step forward from the past several years. 

The 2006 team in particular comes to mind; it outscored its opponents by over 100 points, but it had a tendency to either dominate (beating the Colts by 27, the Jets by 41, etc.) or lay an egg (losing badly twice to the then-bad Texans).

If Blake can average out to 2006 David Garrard-level play, this team will go 10-6. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:35:49 PM by Wacca Pilatka »
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

MusicMan

« Reply #8660 on: September 25, 2017, 02:38:38 PM »
"I wonder how Jags fans in general feel about Khan's actions and statement yesterday?"

Love it. See my post a page or two back.  Draft dodger Trump talking about disrespecting the Flag and such?  What nonsense.

How gullible can people be?   Trump assaulted the character of a sitting Senator who happened to be captured while serving his country during active military service in Vietnam.

Are his supporters just effing stupid, or what?

Even his BFF Robert Craft called him out.  That was nice too.

Trump: "Hey America, boycott the NFL. Those SOB's have no right to freedom of expression.  Oh yeah, go see NASCAR. Those are real Americans."

WTF is wrong with this man. 

Tacachale

« Reply #8661 on: September 25, 2017, 03:02:14 PM »
Re: the fake punt, the way I see it, it is pretty normal for a team to go for it in that situation by lining up in a run formation. So faking the punt isn't that much different...why not try out the play and also put it on tape for the rest of the season so every other opponent has to think about it?

Or they'll be able to see it coming at times we actually need it.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #8662 on: September 25, 2017, 03:09:26 PM »
Marrone didn't say so, but I do think the fake punt was a direct response to the Ravens' engaging in extracurricular pushing and shoving after several plays once they were completely out of the game.  Which is a historical behavioral trend with the Ravens. 

Act unprofessional, get embarrassed.  Similar things were done to Jeff Fisher teams in the past, because they had the same tendency to turn extra chippy once they were clearly beaten.

Henry J. Klutho

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #8663 on: September 25, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »
Re: the fake punt, the way I see it, it is pretty normal for a team to go for it in that situation by lining up in a run formation. So faking the punt isn't that much different...why not try out the play and also put it on tape for the rest of the season so every other opponent has to think about it?

They did the fake punt in preseason, guess the Ravens missed that one.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #8664 on: September 25, 2017, 04:32:29 PM »

Not really. That play has been around for the 20ish years I've been watching football. If a situation arose where you actually NEEDED it then that wouldn't be good at all. It's pretty much only useful in times when it's genuinely unexpected, and it's quite effective if a team feels compelled to defend against it rather than rush your punter or set up their blocks.

MusicMan

« Reply #8665 on: September 25, 2017, 05:01:54 PM »
It's the prefect time to "practice" it. Way ahead in garbage time. Gives teams something to think about and now we have done it once in real time. Clever!

Papa33

« Reply #8666 on: September 26, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »
This weeks MMQB Power Rankings describes what the Jags did to Ravens as "downright rude".  I love it.  Nobody outside of Jacksonville really cares about the Jags.  They should continue to run up the score, run unnecessary trick plays, etc.  Who gives a crap.  Who knows how long it will last.  The Jags need to reward the long suffering Jags fans by taking it as high as they can get it.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #8667 on: September 26, 2017, 12:36:57 PM »
I don't think it has anything to do with running up the score. Pretty sure Atlanta wished they had scored more points in the Super Bowl. When you have a team down you keep them down and Ravens have done the same thing while they have had double digits leads on opponents.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #8668 on: September 26, 2017, 01:01:33 PM »
^ When New England did it repeatedly in 2007, the sports media genuflected as Bill Belichick remarked, "Don't like it?  Try to stop us."

Now Jacksonville does it (I would, again, argue in response to Baltimore's usual cheap, dirty, sore loser tactics) and suddenly it's bush league?

Henry J. Klutho

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8669 on: September 26, 2017, 02:06:59 PM »
^ When New England did it repeatedly in 2007, the sports media genuflected as Bill Belichick remarked, "Don't like it?  Try to stop us."

Now Jacksonville does it (I would, again, argue in response to Baltimore's usual cheap, dirty, sore loser tactics) and suddenly it's bush league?

To your NE reference, I think the issue people had with New England at the time was that they were going for it on 4th downs late in the game instead of kicking field goals and they were converting and scoring TDs on those drives.

October 28th, 2007

Running up the score ruminations

Tom Curran of NBCSports.com has some interesting comments from Redskins linebacker Randall Godfrey, who’s none too pleased with the way Bill Belichick coached at the end of today’s 52-7 victory. The Patriots went for it on a pair of fourth downs when up 35 and then 42 points.

“You look at all the great head coaches…I’m just disappointed,” Godfrey said. “You’ve got to show some class, show some respect. Joe Gibbs? We wouldn’t have done that. Bill Walsh? You wouldn’t see those types of guys doing that stuff. I’ve never seen nothing like that. Most teams, you get up like that you sit on the ball and try to run the time out. They’re up 30-some points and they’re throwing deep. That was blatant disrespect. I hope we can see them again, definitely. You don’t see Joe Gibbs doing that. You can’t even imagine that kind of stuff coming from him. Joe Gibbs. Bill Walsh. Bill Parcells. This isn’t like college going for power rankings. This is the pros — you show some respect, show some class.”

NBC also had some exclusive quotes from Belichick on the subject on Friday (before the WAS game).

“I’ve been coaching too long,” Belichick said. “I remember being on that side. When I was coaching defense it was my job to keep the score down, not theirs. When you’re playing defense it’s your job to stop them. It’s not (the offense’s) job to not score. It’s like I tell the offense, what the (bleep) do you think I send you guys out there for? To punt? We have a punt team for that. That’s not your job. Your job is to go out there and score points. If you come off the field and you haven’t scored points you haven’t done your job.”

I also like thinking I remember things and then looking it up to find out I was right.  [hurts arm patting self on back]
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:09:12 PM by Non-RedNeck Westsider »
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams