Author Topic: Trains On The Florida East Coast One Step Closer  (Read 3237 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Trains On The Florida East Coast One Step Closer
« on: October 07, 2011, 03:23:41 AM »
Trains On The Florida East Coast One Step Closer

In accordance with Section 210 of the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2008 (PRIIA), Amtrak has developed and commenced plans to improve the performance of five of its Eastern long-distance routes: the Silver Star, Silver Meteor and Palmetto (collectively the Silver Service), the Crescent, and the Lake Shore Limited.  The study indicates that, not only should restoring rail service between Jacksonville and Miami be Amtrak's top prioity, but that the route would actually turn a profit.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-oct-trains-on-the-florida-east-coast-one-step-closer

urbaknight

Re: Trains On The Florida East Coast One Step Closer
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 02:36:20 PM »
Are they going to try to do something soon? Or are they just going to talk about for another decade?

I would totally ride this down to Miami for the day or the weekend.

So hurry up and make it happen already!

I want to be able to enjoy these changes while I'm still in my prime!

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »
I took the family to Miami last week not a bad drive but we would have loved a train.
Lenny Smash

SuperTman5

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 08:00:52 PM »
I would love to hop a train to Miami and spend the weekend or travel intrastate for business by rail. However, once I'm in Miami, Daytona, Orlando, ect then what. I need to rent a car, there is no effective inner-city mode of transportation.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 08:08:11 PM »
You can get around in Miami without the use of a car now.  I've done it before.  Metrorail, Metromover, Tri-Rail and Amtrak are all connected and feed by the local bus system.  Orlando will also have Sunrail up and running soon.  The true question is what will Jacksonville do?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

dougskiles

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 08:26:59 PM »
^BRT!  Just like LRT only cheaper!

tayana42

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 02:25:48 AM »
The time has come for passenger rail to expand.  Step one:  move the Amtrak station back downtown!

tufsu1

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 02:11:26 PM »
many of us hope that passenger rail can be expanded....but everything costs money (some options more than others)....what ideas do folks have for financing capital as well as Operations & Maintenance

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 03:23:53 PM »
many of us hope that passenger rail can be expanded....but everything costs money (some options more than others)....what ideas do folks have for financing capital as well as Operations & Maintenance

We can start by scrapping your boondoggly outer beltway, that'll save more than it costs to run all of Amtrak let alone the FEC.

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 03:41:05 PM »

We can start by scrapping your boondoggly outer beltway, that'll save more than it costs to run all of Amtrak let alone the FEC.
+1
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

tufsu1

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 04:26:10 PM »

since when is the Outer Beltway mine?  anyone who actually knows me is well aware of how I feel about that project

that said, the proposed costs for Amtrak/FEC from last year's grant application were around $550 million in capital costs.....the Outer Beltway leg to Blanding (as proposed) is supposed to be around $300 million in capital costs.

Of course Amtrak/FEC route is about 275 miles long (versus 15) and provides access to many more communities than the road.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 04:30:26 PM by tufsu1 »

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »

since when is the Outer Beltway mine?  anyone who actually knows me is well aware of how I feel about that project

that said, the proposed costs for Amtrak/FEC from last year's grant application were around $550 million in capital costs.....the Outer Beltway leg to Blanding (as proposed) is supposed to be around $300 million in capital costs.

Of course Amtrak/FEC route is about 275 miles long (versus 15) and provides access to many more communities than the road.

Oh come on, you know as well as I do that this one little segment is only the camel's head in a $2Bn tent. A useless sprawl-inducing tent. And I said 'yours' because you seem to be the only one defending this awful boondoggle lately.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 05:00:51 PM »
Sounds like we could just forgo one interstate on ramp in Jax and one in Miami and pay for the FEC line easy.
Lenny Smash

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 05:18:31 PM »
According to Amtrak, the Jax-Mia route would turn a profit. That's something that shouldn't be overlooked.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tufsu1

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 08:39:51 AM »
agreed Lake....but the report raises two questions for me

1. It is based on operating only 1 train (Silver Star) per direction per day on that route....how much more/less of a profit would there be with 2 or 3 trains.

2. It notes that the annual revenue would exceed the operating costs...but someone still needs to identify $ for the capital costs.

I am very much in favor of expanding Amtrak and believe it is in the best interest of the cities along the route and Florida....but shouldn't the Feds put some $ into the pot too?