Author Topic: Historic Ford Plant to be Demolished?  (Read 6498 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Historic Ford Plant to be Demolished?
« on: September 22, 2011, 03:17:23 AM »
Historic Ford Plant to be Demolished?

The plant's current owner is claiming the building will be demolished if not converted to a cruise port.  With this in mind, American Institute of Architects Jacksonville is scheduling a public tour of the historic property for the afternoon of Oct. 8, 2011.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-sep-historic-ford-plant-to-be-demolished

dougskiles

Re: Historic Ford Plant to be Demolished?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 04:40:40 AM »
Is this building not on the national historic registry?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 05:35:57 AM »
No, its not on the national register.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Noone

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 05:57:45 AM »
Regional Partners, VISIT JACKSONVILLE! We are developing an extortion real estate list that unless taxpayer money is used. We aren't playing.
We are wrapping up Shipyards? 2010-604
                              Landmar? 2011-560
                              Palms Fish Camp, Palms Fish Camp, Palms Fish Camp?

Radically Improved Access to Downtown via the St. Johns River our American Heritage River. I'm IN.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:59:42 AM by Noone »

dougskiles

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 06:15:17 AM »
No, its not on the national register.

I imagine it would be difficult to get it on the registry without the owners consent.

In some ways, this seems like an idle threat.  Would they just tear it down out of spite?  Or just because it is too expensive to maintain?  With so much vacant land in that area, there don't seem to be many other uses lined up waiting to jump on the land.

But I am all for working with the owner to determine other potential uses for the building.  How viable is a cruise terminal at this location?  Isn't the Dames Pt Bridge a major obstacle?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 06:22:19 AM »
It could probably work as a terminal for smaller ships.  However, JAXPORT isn't interested in the site because the larger ships can't get under the Dames Point Bridge.  If the building came down, considering the site is waterfront, it could probably be used for a small shipyard, barge facility or private shipping terminal.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

dougskiles

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 07:11:10 AM »
Or perhaps Ford comes back to the place and starts making these:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/09/22/ford-builds-bicycle/

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 09:43:37 AM »
This would be a shame. Would there be no way to use the location for shipping with the building still there?
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 09:48:34 AM »
If it goes down, it will most likely be because the owner doesn't want to pay the costs to restore it or deal with the liabilities of it remaining onsite in its current state.

Kay

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 09:52:28 AM »
Why not reach out to Wayne Wood and the Jacksonville Historical Society to work on saving it.  If it is landmarked, major tax credits would be available.  When are we going to stop tearing down what makes us unique?  There's not much left.

dougskiles

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 09:54:20 AM »
Who is planning on touring the building on Oct 8th?  It would be nice to show up in numbers and demonstrate community support.

Dapperdan

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 09:59:14 AM »
I had no idea this was in discussion to make it a cruise terminal. How far along is that process? Have they given up completely on Mayport?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 10:05:37 AM »
Who is planning on touring the building on Oct 8th?  It would be nice to show up in numbers and demonstrate community support.

Right now, I'm planning to attend.  I wouldn't mind attending the modern architecture event as well but my son has a football game that morning.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 10:09:03 AM »
I had no idea this was in discussion to make it a cruise terminal. How far along is that process? Have they given up completely on Mayport?

I thought the cruise port terminal idea had died because of the Dames Point Bridge clearance issue.  Nevertheless, a building with all that open space could be used for a variety of things.  Richmond, CA turned their old ford plant into a mixed use center in the middle of an industrial area.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-mar-ford-assembly-plant-comes-back-to-life

Overstreet

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 10:23:45 AM »
1. Ford Plant Restoration........ To a model A vintage assembly plant?  I don't see anything there that looks like a modern factory building built to a 120mph wind load, large missle impact. Although wire glass does have it's advantages.
2. Ford Plant Strucutre........ AIA review is nice but the Structural engineer's report will make or break the project. Some of the foundations have failed. Parking loading is relative light. Factory loading is four times more than parking.  Most development reviews, ie condos and others have been non-feasable.
3. Location........how long do you think it wll be before the majority of people in Jax would want to go to Tallyrand?

4. Palm Fish Camp....... Leave the resturant building vacant. Putting a resturant in there will ruin a good boat ramp. True they added additional trailer parking but it isn't big enough for the  traffic and the layout is bad.