Author Topic: College Football Thread  (Read 19526 times)

jaxlongtimer

Re: College Football Thread
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2021, 06:04:05 PM »
FYI, there are at least 6 other "Jacksonvilles" in the US:  AL, TX, NC, IL, OR and AR.  Wasn't the most original name (or, in hindsight, the most acceptable name) our founders could have used but I guess, compared to Cowford, it looked pretty good at the time  ;)

See:  https://thecoastal.com/jaxlists/a-quick-look-at-the-other-cities-named-jacksonville/

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 06:09:20 PM by jaxlongtimer »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2021, 06:11:43 PM »
According to this site, there are 23 Jacksonvilles in the US, and one in Cuba
https://geotargit.com/called.php?qcity=Jacksonville

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2021, 08:12:29 PM »
^ Wow.  I tried to Google this and never made it to that site.  So, about half the states have a Jacksonville.

I think it may be time to consider a name change for this reason and due to the reputation of our namesake.  If the Jags have another terrible year, we may need a rebrand too - before someone does it for us and calls us "Loser-ville."

I suggested once before adopting a name from the Timucuans.  Other suggestions are welcome  8).

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2021, 09:25:52 AM »
Appalachian State beats Michigan in the Big House.
Georgia Southern beats Florida in the swamp.
Jacksonville State beats FSU in Doak.

Top 3 upsets ever in college football?

Love that FCS "patsies" can humble the FCS teams once in awhile.  Gives hope to underdogs everywhere  8).

Looking through the history, because misery loves company, James Madison over Virginia Tech and NDSU over Iowa have to be up there, too. Both programs were ranked no. 13 at the time of the upset.

What's interesting is that among this list, App State and Georgia Southern both joined the FBS not long after their respective upsets, and James Madison and NDSU have both been rumored as candidates for the FBS. JSU has not.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/fcs-wins-vs-fbs-teams-all-time-victories-upsets%3famp 

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2021, 05:59:22 PM »
Sooo.... what in Bobby Bowden is going on at FSU?

Wake Forest?
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2021, 10:25:05 PM »

Wake Forest?

Funny enough, the 30-0 Wake shutout of FSU at Doak in 2006 was essentially the beginning of the end for Bobby. Terry was out and Jimbo was in as OC and the oddity of "head-coach-in-waiting."  Somehow,  Wake and NC State have always known how to twist the knife for us. This year, the answer is simpler: Wake is legitimately the better team. Maybe not talent--wise, but definitely discipline, game planning, and coaching. Gonna be a long year. Hope our 2022 recruits don't bail on us, but this can't be the vision they bought into.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2021, 04:25:11 AM »
^ Wow.  I tried to Google this and never made it to that site.  So, about half the states have a Jacksonville.

I think it may be time to consider a name change for this reason and due to the reputation of our namesake.  If the Jags have another terrible year, we may need a rebrand too - before someone does it for us and calls us "Loser-ville."

I suggested once before adopting a name from the Timucuans.  Other suggestions are welcome  8).

My friend Jeremy always thought the city should be named Hart City (after Isaiah D Hart). But I suspect his motivation was because he wanted to rename the Jaguars the "Hart City Breakers".
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

MusicMan

« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2021, 09:25:27 AM »
Gators played well...........Alabama looks beatable. Finebaum predicted a blowout. He was wrong.  Jimbo and Texas AM gotta be thinking this might be the year.

Noles and Canes are awful.   

Damn I wish FSU had been able to nab Mario Cristobal instead of Willie Taggart from Oregon. Really impressed with him.

tufsu1

« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2021, 02:26:57 PM »

Wake Forest?

Funny enough, the 30-0 Wake shutout of FSU at Doak in 2006 was essentially the beginning of the end for Bobby. Terry was out and Jimbo was in as OC and the oddity of "head-coach-in-waiting."  Somehow,  Wake and NC State have always known how to twist the knife for us. This year, the answer is simpler: Wake is legitimately the better team. Maybe not talent--wise, but definitely discipline, game planning, and coaching. Gonna be a long year. Hope our 2022 recruits don't bail on us, but this can't be the vision they bought into.

to add - Wake has 20 returning starters from a bowl team. Meanwhile FSU is playing several redshirt freshmen.

MusicMan

« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2021, 07:56:22 AM »
True, but calling running plays for McKenzie Milton is just bad football.  He's a capable passer, but not a threat to run.  Better to put J Corbin in the wildcat, it's worked in the past. Or T Ward, who is a dangerous running back when given the chance.  I'd rather see Chubba Purdy back there running it as he too is a better option than MM.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2021, 11:00:49 AM »

Wake Forest?

to add - Wake has 20 returning starters from a bowl team. Meanwhile FSU is playing several redshirt freshmen.

Lol…it’s still Wake Forest
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

jaxoNOLE

« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2021, 11:57:41 AM »
True, but calling running plays for McKenzie Milton is just bad football.  He's a capable passer, but not a threat to run.  Better to put J Corbin in the wildcat, it's worked in the past. Or T Ward, who is a dangerous running back when given the chance.  I'd rather see Chubba Purdy back there running it as he too is a better option than MM.

Not only is it bad football, it shows a blatant disregard for Milton's safety. Running your QB is always a calculated safety risk (as is football in general), but the calculus is different for a guy like Milton. If you're in a situation where you want defenses to respect a designed run for the QB...you don't have Milton on the field.