Author Topic: Kids Kampus Vanishes  (Read 10222 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Kids Kampus Vanishes
« on: September 09, 2011, 03:10:36 AM »
Kids Kampus Vanishes

With the NFL football season quickly approaching, Metro Jacksonville visits the flex space formerly known as Kids Kampus at Metropolitan Park.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-sep-kids-kampus-vanishes

Noone

Re: Kids Kampus Vanishes
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 05:05:12 AM »
Nice pics.
But I still have HUGE concerns. On the surface everyone is running around with high fives! But behind the scenes and this was highlighted at the Aug. 31 Waterways 2 1/2 hour subcommittee meeting of FIND. HUGE announcements.

Ran into Jim Piggott at city hall and asked him about the $300,000, $300,000, $300,000 estimate for water damage or some termite damage that needs money for repairs. Get a second estimate. Ken Amaro....your turn.

2011-560? Good, Bad? Anyone

JOBS, JOBS, JOBS, JOBS, for who?  Palms Fish Camp?

peestandingup

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 05:48:34 AM »
Sooo, where there was once constant activity, now there's hardly any at all? Sounds about right.

And doesn't downtown Jacksonville have an abundance of these "flex spaces" already in the form of surface/vacant lots?? Hell, take your pick. Plenty to go around for the tailgaters. Really not trying to complain, but this city seems like its constantly in "knock something existing down to rebuild something else" mode, instead of working with what it already has available & sticking to some kind of grand scheme.

Who wants to bet that whatever they do end up using this for won't even get halfway utilized as it did before.

dougskiles

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 06:20:52 AM »
I am glad they took down the fences.  I will have to check it out this weekend.  Are the fences around the rest of metro park coming down?

Bativac

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 07:11:43 AM »
I know there were supposedly problems with drainage or plumbing at Kids Kampus, but it was a really cool space. I remember taking my wife's little sister there several years in a row.

Now it's a giant empty field. Progress I guess? The picture makes it look like there are plans to install a fountain in the area. Something for wading I hope, like in the waterfront part in Charleston?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 08:00:03 AM »
If the city wants to invest in a fountain, it shouldn't be at Metropolitan Park. It should be in a compact pedestrian friendly setting or a place that can generate everyday use.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 08:12:57 AM »
Wasn't the Kids Campus successful?  Maybe I am wrong, but what exactly is the purpose of doing this?  Spend money to make it a giant backyard? 

CG7

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 08:25:49 AM »
I hosted and attending many birthday parties there. I hope they do something worthwhile, because it went from a place I visited 4-5 times a year to something I have no reason to ever visit.

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 08:48:24 AM »
I'll bet the maintenance costs for the new space are much lower than Kids Kampus.  Why pay higher O&M for something that is barely used?
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

duvaldude08

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 09:51:48 AM »
So this is what Peyton wanted all that money for???? You have got to be kidding me.
Jaguars 2.0

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
Sooo, where there was once constant activity, now there's hardly any at all? Sounds about right.

And doesn't downtown Jacksonville have an abundance of these "flex spaces" already in the form of surface/vacant lots?? Hell, take your pick. Plenty to go around for the tailgaters. Really not trying to complain, but this city seems like its constantly in "knock something existing down to rebuild something else" mode, instead of working with what it already has available & sticking to some kind of grand scheme.

Who wants to bet that whatever they do end up using this for won't even get halfway utilized as it did before.

This whole thing, taking one of our few successful urban venues and matching it to the myriad vacant lots scattered all over downtown was a set up deal orchestrated by our former boy mayor. At the public planning charrette, he showed up and told the crowd "I'm not here to change your vision, but downtown urgently needs more flex space, we don't have enough room for parking or tailgate activities, so please keep this in mind when you make your recommendations." Like a room full of lemmings every citizen table proceded to sweep the park clean of every improvement. I was there and hopping mad, I told the little twerp my opinion just outside the door of the room.   

Another classic Jacksonville case of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Peyton simply had a solution looking for a problem and to accomplish his goals he stole from the joy of our children.

I'll bet the maintenance costs for the new space are much lower than Kids Kampus.  Why pay higher O&M for something that is barely used?

Brilliant Jax think. I suppose that spending the millions to waste the millions already invested was good stewardship too? Since we're 'saving' so much from closing this childcentric park, just imagine how much we'd save if we just closed all of the parks? A city without parks, libraries, water, sewer, police or fire, savor the wealth.

OCKLAWAHA

TheProfessor

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 10:04:51 AM »
I think it looks better.  Kids Campus was an eyesore.

Bativac

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 10:08:15 AM »
I think it looks better.  Kids Campus was an eyesore.

Yeah but Kids Kampus was something that people USED. Now it's a beautiful empty lawn, same as all the other beautiful empty lawns in parks all over town. I just don't understand it.

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 10:45:46 AM »
IMHO, there were aspects of the Kids Kampus that looked like they were not very well-designed.  Overall, the idea of a family friendly park should have been a winner for Metropolitan Park.  I believe, however, that the park was not promoted as much as it should have been and there was a perception (Thanks to the fences, now gone) that Metropolitan Park was not as open to the public as it should be...
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 11:12:59 AM »
Fences keep tots from wandering in the street during a momentary lapse of parental sight, certainly white picket fences would have performed the same task and looked much more welcoming.

The park might have been poorly designed but by Jacksonville standards it was the only game in town. On a positive note we managed to trade all of that limited childish junk improvement for tons of variety. Today we boast Zoysia, Bermuda, St. Augustine, Centipede and even some Bahia! Quick grab your cameras, junior will be thrilled.

OCKLAWAHA