Author Topic: Self Sustaining Dog Park Headed To Riverside  (Read 17876 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Self Sustaining Dog Park Headed To Riverside
« on: September 05, 2011, 03:22:26 AM »
Self Sustaining Dog Park Headed To Riverside

Through an in-kind donation from the Haskell Company and Riverside Avondale Preservation's support, a two-acre dog park could replace a forgotten piece of property under I-95 near the Annie Lytle School.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-sep-self-sustaining-dog-park-headed-to-riverside

deathstar

Re: Self Sustaining Dog Park Headed To Riverside
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 04:28:58 AM »
I'm so glad you posted this, I'll be keeping my eye on this, and will even save some dough to donate, thanks!

Springfielder

• Preservation SOS
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 06:08:59 AM »
The plans for this sound great.

John P

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 01:27:33 PM »
Will people pay to use a dog park under a highway when there is a free dog park in springfield downtown without exhaust just 3 miles away? it does not make sense to me. the brooklyn park space on riverside ave would be better for a dog park

cline

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 02:14:05 PM »
Will people pay to use a dog park under a highway when there is a free dog park in springfield downtown without exhaust just 3 miles away? it does not make sense to me. the brooklyn park space on riverside ave would be better for a dog park

Yes.  People will pay.  And the Brooklyn Park space you refer to is private.  Riverside Park is already city-owned and with a lease agreement with FDOT, no additional land will need to be acquired.

rjr120

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 04:41:01 PM »
It's great that something useful will finally be done with that corner of the park!  And hopefully reconnecting the old school house to the rest of Riverside Park will help with the efforts to save and re-purpose it.

LauriSmith

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »
Great idea!

InnerCityPressure

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 09:50:38 PM »
Yes.  People will pay.

Damn straight they will pay.  $25/year is nothing to be able to walk your dog to the park as opposed to driving to Springfield.  Although, I do wish it was free.

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 02:03:36 PM »
I'm thrilled to hear the scum pond under I-95 will be no more.  It won't be, right?  The standing water encased in lovely chain link would be gone?  That would really help the vibe of "under the bridge."  I drive under that overpass all the time and think of how wasted that space is.  How great that it can be devoted to public use.

grimss

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 02:19:45 PM »
Debbie, my understanding is that FDOT is willing to make its excess land available as long as they don't have to do anything with the scum pond.  Maybe as the process evolves, they can be pressured to change their minds.  Ideally, enough funds can be raised to improve at least the chain link fencing.

Jimmy

• Less talking and more doing.
    • @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 02:36:20 PM »
I'm on the board of a nonprofit that's headquartered just to the north of the scum pond.  We call it "mosquito alley" or "malaria bay" during this time of the year.  It's not very pleasant.  I'm sad to hear that FDOT won't do something to ameliorate the negative impact of the scum pond.

I'm all in for the dog park, though.  That's a great use for the space.  I'd gladly pay $25/year for use and plan to buy a paver as well.
twitter.com/JimmyMidyette

cline

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 02:44:01 PM »
It seems like that a monthly spray treatment could kill off some of the algae/scum.  I have a feeling FDOT does not do that now and just lets it sit.  I know at the office I work at we have "Lake Doctors" come on a regular basis and spray to control weeds and algae.  I have no idea how much this could cost though.  Perhaps FDOT could be convinced to pay for some sort of service like this or maybe they could do it themselves.  I'm sure they have the equipment.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 02:46:42 PM by cline »

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »
This is where they were previously talking about setting up an "artists' walk", correct?

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-jul-artists-walk-at-northbank-riverfront-park
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

cline

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 04:59:27 PM »
Actually I think the artist walk would extend from RAM, west to Park Street under the overpass.  The dog park would be west of Park Street adjacent to College Street in the NW corner of Riverside Park. So while the artist walk would not techically extend into Riverside Park it would in effect create a connection from Riverside Park all the way to RAM.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 05:04:03 PM by cline »

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »
^Okay, cool. Maybe they'll be able to make use of all that space one way or another some day.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?