Author Topic: School's Out! Event At The John Gorrie  (Read 1513 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
School's Out! Event At The John Gorrie
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:01:27 AM »

The Riverside Avondale Preservation (RAP) and HabiJax hosted the "School's Out, Unique Urban Living is in!" benefit fundraiser Aug. 13 at The John Gorrie a condominium. The public, along with Mayor Alvin Brown, was invited to a guided historic tour through the newly renovated former junior high school. Metro Jacksonville tagged along for a better look into the building's rich past.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-aug-schools-out-event-at-the-john-gorrie

Noone

Re: School's Out! Event At The John Gorrie
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 03:37:22 AM »
Very nice.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:43:07 AM »
Awesome!  That is exactly what needs to be done i the warehouse district.

grimss

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:53:25 AM »
Nice article and beautiful photos. It was a very nice event, and it was great to see folks taking advantage of the freebies--European Street gave away A LOT of beer cheese soup and Bakery Moderne was packed all day.

Miss Fixit

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 03:43:13 PM »
The event was a lot of fun and we thoroughly enjoyed the freebies, especially the fabulous pizza slice from Carmine's and free tickets to Beginners at the Five Points Theatre.

We were lucky and had a couple of John Gorrie graduates in our tour group.  There was also a gentleman from the class of 1935 who spoke to us at the beginning of the tour - he had great memories to share.

grimss

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »
BTW, the photo that shows "ongoing" construction is actually documenting a repair job. The chimney was struck by lightening (hopefully not a bad omen!!) a couple of weeks before the tour. According to Delores Weaver, everything that could go wrong with the project DID go wrong, and if we see frogs or locusts falling from the sky, we should all be running for the hills (not that we have that option here in FLA).

MissMinda

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 12:37:06 PM »
I wonder if I was in your group, Miss Fixit. I really enjoyed the stories of all the graduates as we took the tour. I loved how much of the decor they preserved and put back into this project!

JerryS

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »
I remember going to summer school there in he mid 50's

Timkin

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 12:03:03 AM »
Stunning job done on this beautiful old Landmark.