Author Topic: Sawgrass Village in Ponte Vedra  (Read 7746 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Sawgrass Village in Ponte Vedra
« on: August 11, 2011, 03:26:32 AM »
Sawgrass Village in Ponte Vedra

Dubbed the "Heart and Soul of Ponte Vedra Beach" for the last 25 years, this plaza serves the community graciously with its mix of retail, dining, and travel accommodations.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-aug-sawgrass-village-in-ponte-vedra

copperfiend

Re: Sawgrass Village in Ponte Vedra
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:53:52 AM »
I was going to mention that the Publix is going to be torn down next spring and completely rebuilt.

vicupstate

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:09:21 AM »
Wow. You build a whole slew of multi-milion dollar buildings and then 25-30 years later you tear them down and start all over.  How throw away can our society get.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 09:11:57 AM »
No doubt it looks outdated. I know some people who live out there and from what I have heard there are disagreements between the younger families and the older genration about how the place should be redeveloped.

cline

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 09:18:11 AM »
Wow. You build a whole slew of multi-milion dollar buildings and then 25-30 years later you tear them down and start all over.  How throw away can our society get.

Publix does this quite often yet touts itself as being green (or GreenWise using their term).  Its really a joke.

urbaknight

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 09:20:25 AM »
Is this still metrojacksonville.com? Or has it become suburbainjacksonville.com? Why so many articles about the stupid suburbs lately? Where's the urban progress?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:24:16 AM »
^I would say when more is going on in the urban area, you will see more urban articles.

copperfiend

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:38:42 AM »

Publix does this quite often yet touts itself as being green (or GreenWise using their term).  Its really a joke.

There are any number of reasons why stores are rebuilt. Sometimes it is to add square footage. Alot of the older stores don't have pharmacies, so they need to extra space. 

It can also be for structural reasons. The Publix in Sawgrass is one of the oldest ones in the area and experiences severe flooding problems.

And when you see a store built to replace an existing structure like they did in Atlantic Beach, it is because they own the land on the new store where as they were leasing the land in the old store.

cline

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 09:43:58 AM »
There are any number of reasons why stores are rebuilt. Sometimes it is to add square footage. Alot of the older stores don't have pharmacies, so they need to extra space.

We've spent decades following a similar train of thought with buildings downtown and we have a bunch of surface parking lots and a depleted historic stock to show for it.

copperfiend

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 10:05:05 AM »

We've spent decades following a similar train of thought with buildings downtown and we have a bunch of surface parking lots and a depleted historic stock to show for it.

Not exactly the same thing.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:19:25 AM »
It will be interesting to see if they can make the center more mixed use and walkable. Good infill and redevelopment should not be limited to the urban core. Our burbs need a makeover as well.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

devlinmann

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 11:00:53 AM »
It will be interesting to see if they can make the center more mixed use and walkable. Good infill and redevelopment should not be limited to the urban core. Our burbs need a makeover as well.

I have spoken with BC Properties and without speaking for them they seemed to indicate that it was their intention to do just what you described.  They have a good track record of work in Atlanta some big hit and a couple of major misses with projects like this but all in all they it would appear that they are capable of making something really special at Sawgrass Village.  I look forward to seeing it when I return

peestandingup

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 11:20:02 AM »
Wish I would have known. I'm over there quite a bit. Would have been happy to let you guys use some of my personal pics of the actual inside of the Marriott & places (instead of shots of the parking lots). ;)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 11:28:11 AM »
Great shots, Pee.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

finehoe

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »
Ben Carter Properties, owner of the St. Johns Town Center, recently purchased Sawgrass Village and announced plans to redevelop it. The plans entail tearing down all the existing stores and redoing them one by one.

I wonder how many of those trees that are just now reaching maturity they'll take out in the process.