Author Topic: The Ingredients of a Walkable Street  (Read 3569 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The Ingredients of a Walkable Street
« on: December 07, 2007, 04:40:00 AM »
The Ingredients of a Walkable Street

How does a community create walkable streets? Streets that feels safe for all - particularly seniors and children? Streets that are sociable due to large numbers of pedestrian users? Streets that are rich and interesting? Streets that breed a strong sense of civic pride?There are a number of essential ingredients that a community must use to craft and sustain a walkable street.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/656

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
Re: The Ingredients of a Walkable Street
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 11:20:14 AM »
This has to be one of the most informative articles yet.

Well done!

RiversideGator

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 03:26:58 PM »
A powerful means of creating a memorable, picturesque street is to locate important civic buildings such as churches, city halls and libraries at the termination of a street vista. Such termination emphasizes the importance and visibility of buildings that are located in such places, which is precisely what should be done with the most important civic buildings in a community. By doing so, civic pride is cultivated, and those within the community are sent a strong message about what the community believes are the most significant institutions in the community. Vista termination also creates the impression that the walk does not seem onerously "endless," as a goal is in sight in front of the pedestrian. As Andres Duany has said, nothing is more satisfying than a prominent civic building grandly terminating a street vista.

This was the original reason for the proposed placement of the new courthouse in the middle of Monroe Street - that it would become a focal point at the end of Monroe street which would be visible for a large distance.  Of course, many have complained about this plan and it will probably not happen now due to our wonderfully incompetent Mayor Peyton.   :-[

jeh1980

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 02:16:12 AM »
I think it's a great article. But I believe that the "walkable streets idea can work. We all due respect, but
A powerful means of creating a memorable, picturesque street is to locate important civic buildings such as churches, city halls and libraries at the termination of a street vista. Such termination emphasizes the importance and visibility of buildings that are located in such places, which is precisely what should be done with the most important civic buildings in a community. By doing so, civic pride is cultivated, and those within the community are sent a strong message about what the community believes are the most significant institutions in the community. Vista termination also creates the impression that the walk does not seem onerously "endless," as a goal is in sight in front of the pedestrian. As Andres Duany has said, nothing is more satisfying than a prominent civic building grandly terminating a street vista.

This was the original reason for the proposed placement of the new courthouse in the middle of Monroe Street - that it would become a focal point at the end of Monroe street which would be visible for a large distance.  Of course, many have complained about this plan and it will probably not happen now due to our wonderfully incompetent Mayor Peyton.   :-[
I can't believe that we would have the nerve to call Mayor Peyton "wonderfully incompetent" because just watch other cities grow and getting more better than us in some way while we could've just go out there and tell the people of the mayor's office what we want! Mayor Peyton may have made a lot of mistakes, but it is WE that put him in the office. He does however need to think about us and give us what we want instead of what the city thinks they want us to have (especially for downtown). We need to help the Mayor in love and give him some good advice. Just go to coj.net and find " The Mayor's big idea" page and stop thinking of Mayor Peyton as someone that would this city into ruin...Please! :'(

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 10:33:19 AM »
I doubt any of the urban activists that frequent this site cast their vote in favor of Peyton, nor do they support his "Big Ideas".

jbm32206

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 10:49:26 AM »
Couldn't agree with you more, Jason! He was re-elected because there wasn't a formidable opponent. Peyton's indeed "wonderfully incompetent" and your statement
jeh1980: We need to help the Mayor in love and give him some good advice.
You're kidding, right? :-\

jeh1980

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 06:37:27 AM »
jeh1980: We need to help the Mayor in love and give him some good advice.
You're kidding, right? :-\
[/quote]

Well, we all due respect, but no. I do admit that he had made a lot of bonehead decisions and I'm not a big fanatic of his "big ideas". I for one can think of some ideas for downtown that would make his ideas look bad. But he does allow us to offer him some suggestions.  8)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 06:49:54 AM »
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.  Believe it or not, many of us meet with city officials on a regular basis and there's nothing said on this site that they aren't aware of.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 07:21:04 AM »
We need to help the Mayor in love and give him some good advice.

That's not a bad idea... if Mayor Peyton were a child. He is supposed to be the elected leader of the city, not someone we coddle. Also, no one on this site personally hates the mayor, we are just being critical of his administration.