Author Topic: Ranking Jacksonville's Cultural Vitality  (Read 8107 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Ranking Jacksonville's Cultural Vitality
« on: July 27, 2011, 03:23:49 AM »
Ranking Jacksonville's Cultural Vitality

"The new striving energy in smaller cities like San Antonio, Jacksonville, and Indianapolis is remarkable. Whether or not these cities ranked high on the VI, they are clearly on the move upward with a sense of self-discovery and identity."  Creative Cities International, LLC's Vitality Index is a cultural impact study that models the human experience of each city at its heart.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-jul-ranking-jacksonvilles-cultural-vitality

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
Re: Ranking Jacksonville's Cultural Vitality
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:59:22 AM »
some good news! at least we didn't rank last! ;D

CG7

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 09:09:11 AM »
I can only speak for myself, but I love it here. I have done quite a bit of travelling, but I always get home sick after just a few days. I live in the heart of Avondale, and I take full advantage of all the neighborhood has to offer. I kayak in fun urban waterways, and some amazing middle of no where marshes and creeks. I find myself trying to decide which thing to do instead of wrongly saying there is nothing to do here. So obviously for me the Vitality Index is off the charts.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:21:49 AM »
I too love it here.  I think after living all over the county that Jax provides amazing amenities unlike so many other cities.  For some people I think it is just a realization of that.  I too look forward to coming home. 

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
I love the area as well.  I just made one terrible move from Riverside to Oakleaf and can not wait for the market to improve and correct that.
Lenny Smash

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:11:48 AM »
That's pretty interesting, but I don't see where the quantitative figures they talk about in producing these rankings.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Dashing Dan

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 10:56:53 AM »
I wonder why Memphis is on the list but not Nashville.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.  - Benjamin Franklin

urbaknight

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »
I must admit, I miss Jacksonville. I decided to come north for the summer, I spent a month in the Carolinas, then I came to Jersey. I'll return to Jax on the 16th of august. I look forward to seeing the groundwork laid by the new mayor. I saw a video of Friendship Fountain opening, it was very impressive!

duvaldude08

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »
I agree guys. I love Jacksonville despite what the critics say. I was born and raised here and dont see my self being anywhere else. If we can get our DT in order, It will make it even better. I too get home sick when Im not here. I remember I visted my friend in Atl and I said I was staying for a week. After three days, I was getting depressed and home sick. So I made up an excuse to leave. LMAO
Jaguars 2.0

tufsu1

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 11:18:31 AM »

the same could be asked for why Jacksonville is on the list but not Orlando
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:20:24 AM by tufsu1 »

duvaldude08

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 11:19:13 AM »
The line that says, " they are clearly on the move upward with a sense of self-discovery and identity." describes us perfectly. We have long struggled with an indentity crisis. Over the past decade or so, weve been on the journey of finding ourselves as a city and it shows. Also, our population has became much more diverse, which is forcing change. As of last years census results, duval counties population is ALMOST half white and half miniority. Our culture here is changing and one can only resist it so long. Having our first Africia American mayor shows alot about our progress as a city.
Jaguars 2.0

jaxlore

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 12:34:11 PM »
Interesting, i love jacksonville no doubt, but how we beat out portland, denver and miami has me scratching my head. maybe because we are on the cusp of change were as those cities are very well established?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 02:03:06 PM »
^That may help, and I'd imagine that we score bigtime on our parks and natural assets, and the level of easy access to them. I'd really like to see what their figures were.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

JaguarReign

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
I can see how we could rank higher than Portland and Miami. They might be established but I don't think they have quite a sense of city pride (for lack of a better word) as people from J-ville

Dashing Dan

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »

the same could be asked for why Jacksonville is on the list but not Orlando
Or Dallas but not Austin

If a city isn't listed does that mean that it ranks below all of the listed cities, or just that it wasn't analyzed?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.  - Benjamin Franklin