Author Topic: Urban Neighborhoods: Riverside  (Read 17402 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Neighborhoods: Riverside
« on: December 04, 2007, 04:00:00 AM »
Urban Neighborhoods: Riverside

Located just south of I-95 and the Fuller Warren Bridge, combined with Avondale, Riverside is one of the largest historic districts in the Southeast.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/654

copperfiend

Re: Urban Neighborhoods: Riverside
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 08:11:20 AM »
When do the protests occur?

RiversideGator

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 10:32:13 AM »
Nice set of photos of the old hood.  I always enjoy seeing things from someone else's perspective.  You left out all of the bungalows north of College though.  Also, there is the whole issue of North Riverside which was cut off from Riverside years ago by I-10.  Anyway., great thread.   :)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 10:48:59 AM »
I felt Riverside was to big to showcase in one photo thread.  North Riverside and Avondale will be eventually covered separately.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 10:56:21 AM »
One thing we can be proud of here in Jacksonville is our historic neighborhoods.  No one in the state compares to the size and character of our historic neighborhoods.  With Springfield on the rise, soon Downtown will be surronded by vibrant historic districts.  I really think the City should showcase our historic neighborhoods more so than we do.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 11:05:06 AM »
I think they should too.  Downtown will be just fine if we can find a way to promote it with our inner city urban neighborhoods, as opposed to isolating it by itself.  From a demographics standpoint, it would look much better.  Because if you really think about it, what we consider as the Southside is an area larger then our entire urban core combined.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 11:25:57 AM »
The size of Riverside - Avondale - Ortega is amazing, I hope we continue to build on what we already have until these as well as Springfield - San Marco look as livable as Winter Park. Another place that comes to mind with these neighborhoods is Coral Gables... now if I could just find a good Cuban restaurant in Jacksonville!

Ocklawaha

konstantconsumer

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 11:33:08 AM »
i spy my apartment!
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." ~Oscar Wilde

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 11:37:01 AM »
now if I could just find a good Cuban restaurant in Jacksonville!

Let me know when you discover one.  I've been searching for four years now. 

RiversideGator

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 12:48:05 PM »
I think they should too.  Downtown will be just fine if we can find a way to promote it with our inner city urban neighborhoods, as opposed to isolating it by itself.  From a demographics standpoint, it would look much better.  Because if you really think about it, what we consider as the Southside is an area larger then our entire urban core combined.

Agreed.  I have always thought that downtown will only be as successful as are the inner suburbs surrounding it.  As the office and hopefully one day entertainment and retail hub for this area, it would be quite successful.  Then, tie it all together with rail transit and you have quite a city.  This is my goal.

BTW, as for the historic core, you can include the areas north of Springfield all the way up the the Trout River.  Those areas are ripe for revitalization IMO.

RiversideGator

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 12:53:38 PM »
now if I could just find a good Cuban restaurant in Jacksonville!

Let me know when you discover one.  I've been searching for four years now. 

Based on this website, there are 4 choices now:

Cuban Restaurants in Jacksonville, Florida

Havana-Jax Cafe
2578 Atlantic Blvd
Jacksonville, FL 32207
(904) 399-0609
www.havanajax.com

Las Congas Cafe  (new - added 8/14/07)
799 Blanding Blvd
Orange Park, FL 32065
(904) 276-1281
www.lascongascafe.com

Madrid Restaurant
11233 Beach Blvd
Jacksonville, FL
(904) 642-3741

La Sorpresa Cuban Bakery
6011-2 103rd St
Jacksonville, Fl. 32210
(904) 777-4933
http://www.tasteofcuba.com/jacksonville.html

I havent tried any, but they sound interesting.

vicupstate

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 02:27:48 PM »
One thing we can be proud of here in Jacksonville is our historic neighborhoods.  No one in the state compares to the size and character of our historic neighborhoods.  With Springfield on the rise, soon Downtown will be surronded by vibrant historic districts.  I really think the City should showcase our historic neighborhoods more so than we do.

I couldn't agree more.   These neighborhoods give Jax a very different look and feel from the rest of FL.  That's something that should be EMPHASIZED instead of ignored.  Jax could be the perfect 'best of both worlds' combo of tropically  FL and the more traditional 'Deep South' image of Live Oaks and historic architecture.

Unfortunately, the mindset seems to be 'lets plant so many Palms that Jax looks like Tampa and Miami'.     
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

hooplady

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 05:55:50 PM »
Have you tried Sol Cuban Cafe at 1440 Dunn Ave?  Off the beaten path, tiny place, pretty darn good to me but I'm not an expert.

Galois

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 07:42:24 PM »
Is the row a good place to eat?
I don't believe in signatures!

raheem942

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 11:40:58 AM »
it  looks clasie