Author Topic: Revitalizing Neighborhoods: Tampa Heights  (Read 6319 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Revitalizing Neighborhoods: Tampa Heights
« on: July 14, 2011, 07:01:41 AM »
Revitalizing Neighborhoods: Tampa Heights

Metro Jacksonville explores Tampa's first prominent residential suburb and neighborhood - one eerily similar to Jacksonville's Springfield: Tampa Heights.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-jul-revitalizing-neighborhoods-tampa-heights

tufsu1

Re: Revitalizing Neighborhoods: Tampa Heights
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:28:15 AM »
Tampa Heights has one major advantage over Springfield...in addition to being bordered on the south by downtown, it is bordered on the north by Seminole Heights....a historic area that started being revitalized in the 1980s.

Tampa Heights has done a lot over the last 10 years...but nothing close to what folks had predicted....The Heights project was announced in late 1999 (about the time I moved to Tampa) andmuch of the land was cleared a few years later....12 years later, the project is still on paper.

Also interesting....Tampa tried very hard to lure the FAMU law school....when they lost out to Orlando, Stetson agreed to open a branch of their law school in Tampa Heights (the main campus is in Pinellas County).

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:47:33 AM »
Tampa Heights has one major advantage over Springfield...in addition to being bordered on the south by downtown, it is bordered on the north by Seminole Heights....a historic area that started being revitalized in the 1980s.

Sounds like Brooklyn, which is bordered to the north by DT, the river on the east and Riverside to the south.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
That convenience store a few pictures down from the top is really cool.

duvaldude08

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 12:17:32 PM »
Wow that neighborhood reminds me of a mini springfield. I have few friends that have stayed in Tampa before and they said it many ways it reminds of you of Jacksonville. I called it Jacksonville with a Busch Gardens. They only difference is they have made much more significant progress than we have in alot of areas. I think we can learn alot from them.

Also, what happened to FAMU attempting to purchase the dental clinic we closed in springfield. If I remember correctly, they were going to purchase and operate it.
Jaguars 2.0

duvaldude08

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 12:20:07 PM »
Oh here it is. Their dental college could not get funding. I hope they do eventually. It would have been nice if this would have happened. Atleast we are on their radar.

http://jacksonville.com/news/florida/2010-05-05/story/famu-dental-college-not-funded-so-won%E2%80%99t-take-over-uf-clinic
Jaguars 2.0

finehoe

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 12:40:17 PM »
That convenience store a few pictures down from the top is really cool.

I agree!

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 12:37:10 PM »
Duval Dude, I was thinking the same thing.  One of those churches looks very much like the church at 8th and Main, all the homes would fit seamlessly into our neighborhood should they be plopped down there, and the commercial buildings would fit into the cool Springfield warehouse district or along Main and 8th.

I figure any time you start a redevelopment effort in a neighborhood that has suffered a decline and earned a bad public perception, that effort probably won't proceed as quickly as one would like.  Changing peoples' attitudes takes time.  A closed mind is a hard thing to pry open.  :-)

duvaldude08

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 12:41:36 PM »
Duval Dude, I was thinking the same thing.  One of those churches looks very much like the church at 8th and Main, all the homes would fit seamlessly into our neighborhood should they be plopped down there, and the commercial buildings would fit into the cool Springfield warehouse district or along Main and 8th.

I figure any time you start a redevelopment effort in a neighborhood that has suffered a decline and earned a bad public perception, that effort probably won't proceed as quickly as one would like.  Changing peoples' attitudes takes time.  A closed mind is a hard thing to pry open.  :-)

My opinon of Springfield has changed dramitcally over the past few years. Anytime someone say they stayedi n Springfield I thought " The Ghetto". Now, I wouldnt mind moving in Springfield. It definately takes time to rebirth a negihborhood that completey died.
Jaguars 2.0

avs

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 02:45:17 PM »
I live in Springfield and my sister just moved to Philly from Tampa Heights.  They liked living there, my brother in law was on their neighborhood board.  They did have way more crime than we experience here though and I think their opinion was that Springfield is further developed than Tampa Heights.  Tampa Heights was also hit way harder when the market collapsed than Springfield was (that is generally true in Tampa, but their property value is below where things in Springfield are).

We moved to Tampa when I was 13.  My father is the Planning Director there.  I have to say what attracted me to move to Jacksonville (we were living in Philly) was Springfield and the fact that it reminded me of Ybor - way back in the day, not the Ybor that has developed.  Jax and Tampa have some similarities but the populations are different.  Jax is very southern, Tampa's population isn't.  Nothing wrong with being southern (my whole family is) but things evolve slower because change is not so embraced.  Tampa also have a great cuban heritage.  They have also really tried to develop "hubs" around the city. And I will say my father has fought and fought with devleopers over many things over the years but one in particular always stood out: a very tight urban growth boundary and it does force more dense development. 

Thank you for posting the comparison, my sister will like reading this :)

lewyn

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 02:07:17 PM »
What surprised me more when I visited Tampa is how similar Hyde Park is to Riverside.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 02:35:58 PM »
True.  Also, Davis Islands are pretty similar to San Marco and Ybor & West Tampa are similar to what the Eastside, Brooklyn and LaVilla used to be.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

avs

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »
Yes, all very good observations.

tampapix

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
Excellent article, wonderful history and photos.  One correction should be made: the reference to Judge Robles.  Judge Robles was Francis Marion Robles, not Joseph.  Joseph was his father.  See http://www.tampapix.com/robles.htm for photos of Joseph and son Judge Francis Robles.  A most interesting building mentioned in the article, the St. James House of Prayer, the "rock church" on Columbus Drive: http://www.tampapix.com/stjames.htm

beaugrand

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »
  Quote from: acme54321 on July 14, 2011, 11:36:00 AM:  That convenience store a few pictures down from the top is really cool.

I agree!

That convenience store was the original Schwartz Grocery and Delicatessan in Tampa Heights back in the early 1900's. There was a second story where the family lived and my father was born there. They later located to 2 different locations on 7th Ave in Ybor COty but both buildings were demolished in the urban renewal efforts in the early 60's. He later started Simon Schwartz Supermarket in South Tampa in 1954.