Author Topic: UNF Campus Construction Update  (Read 14186 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
UNF Campus Construction Update
« on: June 24, 2011, 06:07:30 AM »
UNF Campus Construction Update

The University of North Florida is in an extreme construction phase this summer. Rebuilding some facilities from the ground up, while building new additions of others, the school is pulling out all the stops to maximize its potential and attract future students. Here's a look at how UNF is continuously making up for what it lacks - and yes, that would be a football team.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-jun-unf-campus-construction-update

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
Re: UNF Campus Construction Update
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 06:24:48 AM »
Yeah and I have been noticing the crews preparing for the new dining facility.  No idea on the design, but it looks like they are extending the docks into the surrounding pond.  Hope to see what it will look like soon. 

comncense

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 07:01:47 AM »
Gotta love what UNF is doing these days. I can barely recognize the campus anymore from what it used to look like back when I graduated in 2002. Wishful thinking, but it would be nice if they could roll some of that expansion over into Downtown. UNF was already tough to find parking at back in 02. I know it REALLY has to be a pain now.

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 07:19:55 AM »
Wow.  Big things happening there!
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

Overstreet

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 07:55:07 AM »
If you think it has changed since 2002 you should see the difference between now and 1986.

jaxlore

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:34:42 AM »
yeah that's wild. glad to see them growing. it would cool if they can bring some growth to downtown via there acquisition of MOCA or something.

wsansewjs

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 08:53:13 AM »
Go UNF! It always make me proud to see this university staying stable and grow as it should be unlike UCF. There was a mass exodus of students from UCF going to UNF, USF, UWF, because of the poor education UCF was pertaining due to an extremely lighting fast growth at UCF back in 2004-2006.

For the parking situation at UNF, that is actually resolved finally in 2008, when they opened up the Lot 18 with the Osprey Connector shuttles. I personally think parking aren't issues anymore these days. If you can get to the campus like 30 mins early before your class, I can guarantee you will make to the class by 5mins before.

I believe after this major construction phase in this Summer 2011, they will continue the construction of new parking garage at Lot 18, in addition to the new atheltic sport complex including the baseball fields.

I am completely against using the student's funds to build the Greek houses on the outskirt of the campus. A good case is the UCF's Greek houses. Half of them are in poor condition including wood trims, property damage, extremely poor landscape maintenance. If you are going to build the Greeks houses using UNF's student funds, the Greeks themselves has to use their money to pay for maintenance which they lack therefore cause the value of UNF Student's funds to be in vain.The UNF Greek already have their own office and facilities on the campus they can easily share.

Again I am proud to be UNF alumni and will always try to support the university. I certainly hope there will not be any football team for UNF because it will tarnish the education quality on the campus.

-Josh
"When I take over JTA, the PCT'S will become artificial reefs and thus serve a REAL purpose. - OCKLAWAHA"

"Stephen intends on running for office in the next election (2014)." - Stephen Dare

PeeJayEss

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 08:58:17 AM »
A lazy river? That's insane! If I had known there was a lazy river, no way I would've gone to school up north.

Also, it says "evolution" on that building. I sure hope they're not teaching that baloney in the science department.

wsansewjs

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 09:10:50 AM »
A lazy river? That's insane! If I had known there was a lazy river, no way I would've gone to school up north.

Also, it says "evolution" on that building. I sure hope they're not teaching that baloney in the science department.

Welcome to my little osprey nest on this thread.

Yes, there is a "lazy river", but as reported by my fellow student peers, it is not really like the real lazy river. It is basically a pool with redirected channel, not the high speed full swinging channel like you go to a water park. It is a buzz word for this Osprey Fountain. Lot of students reported that Osprey Fountain is like a prison in terms of its appearance, security cameras everywhere, and the tightness. It is no where near like Home Sweet Home feeling.

Every campus on this planet such like high regard universities always allow all walks of life to share their insights including religious and science teaching. I am sure the word, "evolution" is just one part of the campus, which doesn't really mean it represent the entire university as a heavily science institution. Honestly, you got me fooled or I don't see that name anywhere in the photos.

-Josh
"When I take over JTA, the PCT'S will become artificial reefs and thus serve a REAL purpose. - OCKLAWAHA"

"Stephen intends on running for office in the next election (2014)." - Stephen Dare

ubben

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 09:35:41 AM »
Without SCAD, Savannah would be a crumbling ghost town. SCAD seems to occupy every other building there.

The more UNF could move into our downtown the better. What they've done at MOCA has been great. I hope it is only the beginning.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 09:51:45 AM »
Great story! I see this stuff everyday, but looking at all these projects together really puts into perspective how much has changed at UNF.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

copperfiend

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 09:52:29 AM »
I'm always impressed by the continued expansion at UNF. I would like to see them keep expanding out into Kernan also.

And yes, I would love to see a UNF football program someday.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John Website
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 10:04:52 AM »
Look at the UNF Master Plan on the website.  It is amazing how much will be added in buildout 1925 ish

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John Website
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 10:05:33 AM »

finehoe

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 10:25:46 AM »
It is amazing how much will be added in buildout 1925 ish

We're in a new century now, honey.  ;D