Author Topic: The Hogans Creek Master Plan  (Read 5151 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The Hogans Creek Master Plan
« on: June 17, 2011, 06:09:51 AM »
The Hogans Creek Master Plan

A look at the finalized master plan developed by the City of Jacksonville, Project for Public Spaces, and HDR, Inc. to revitalize Jacksonville's original "Central Park."

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-jun-the-hogans-creek-master-plan

strider

Re: The Hogans Creek Master Plan
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 07:07:50 AM »
It is my understanding that the Health Department building was basically illegally built there to start with.  It was donated land for the use as public parks, ETC.  The city "interpreted" that to also mean a building/ office that could be used by the public like the health department. 

Does it make sense to say that for this plan to be successful, in other words, actually get done, that there has to be development in the commercial corridors close to it to bring the people in?  Without the commercial development, will the park actually get used enough to justify it?

If so, then should not things like the proposed street car be part of this plan rather than a separate "plan"? Isn't that the way to show that it all is connected and that one part feeds the others?
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

Kiva

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 07:22:07 AM »
I seriously doubt that the Health Department building will be demolished any time soon. The priority should be to get the multi-use path completed, get some landscaping (particularly trees) around the path and clean up the creek.

Garden guy

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:39:28 AM »
Is there a way of changing the name of the creek...i think maybe a fresh new start may need to start with a renaming project...

Miss Fixit

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 07:40:46 AM »
Priority one MUST be cleaning up Hogans Creek.

Garden guy

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:51:44 AM »
How about a proposal of city inmates project to clean up the river...anyone arrested must put in a minimum of 30 clean up time?...seems like a waist of energy sitting in those cells...

iMarvin

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 07:56:32 AM »
Is there a way of changing the name of the creek...i think maybe a fresh new start may need to start with a renaming project...

;D Lol. I doubt it, people would say there's history in that name.

How about a proposal of city inmates project to clean up the river...anyone arrested must put in a minimum of 30 clean up time?...seems like a waist of energy sitting in those cells...

That's a great idea! The creek would look good in no time.

cline

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 08:38:37 AM »
If it isn't feasible to relocate the Health Department, could the entry plaza to the park just be built on the south side of 6th and incorporate some pedestrian features between the park and the Health Department. 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 08:47:34 AM »
Sure.  My thought is that many things shown on the plan won't actually happen in their particular location (or ever), which is very typical of long range vision and master plans.  I remember Rick Mullaney had a vision of transforming the area around Shands into an urban medical district.  Imo, that should happen and the Health Department can be a part of that and add to the park it sits in.  After all, the more commercial, medical and residential uses integrating with the park will lead to it being used on a continuous basis.  

At the very least, all Health Department would need is an effort to green up the parking lot and some improvement of the area paralleling the creek between it, Jefferson Street and the new VA Clinic.  Considering JTA will most likely place a BRT station in that immediate area, perhaps there will be an opportunity to coordinate the development of that station in a manner that develops some of the park area around the Health Department (north of 6th Street).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:49:31 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 08:51:26 AM »
As for priorities, I'd like to see the City go ahead and move forward with the already funded bike trail.  The money has been allocated for a while and my fear is, the longer we sit on it, the higher the risk that it will be reallocated to something else.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 09:47:56 AM »
I don't know if the Health Dept would have to move if the park really integrated the surrounding neighborhood in the design.  It is not a square part, but is very urban and wraps around the neighborhood.  The start prob would have to be in phases starting with Conf.  Personally I see it as an environment that would have to consider the block and buildings in and around the park.  If the Health Dept does not want to move, then make them part of the design.  Prob the sooner the better on this one. 

billy

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 09:59:17 AM »
How about Part II, Liberty to the river?

north miami

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 12:48:07 PM »
Thank you for soliciting comments.

Waterway access,water quality:

Public Small Craft Hand Launch Facility-
As opposed to the RAM docks or St Johns River riverbank options,Hogans Creek likely the one and only appropriate site for such important feature,and perfectly situated small craft central access to/from the larger Downtown Riverscape.

Explore Florida Inland Navigation District support opportunities.

Note:Public Hand Launch Facilty may very well be best located south of the depicted Plan overlay.
I do note boat "rental" site within the overlay-perhaps that site would be appropriate- but certainly must acommodate Public use/personal craft.

Coordinate closely with City of Jacksonville Tributary Water Quality Assessment/Restoration;Dana Morton. Perhaps also Dr.Quinton White.

This may also entail Water Management District,Corps of Engineers.
With any COE role,if possible encorporate COE Michael Hollingsworth oversight.Michael Hollingsworth has roots in Jacksonville,was our first RiverKeeper, now with the COE Jacksonville office, is heading up federal efforts on the City of Jacksonville Tributary restoration list item #2-Fishweir Creek right around the corner.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:27:57 AM by north miami »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 05:26:43 PM »
How does the proposal to close Hubbard Street sync with the desire expressed on this board to improve connectivity between Springfield and Downtown?  Or does a bike/ped connection 'work'?

Timkin

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 05:27:56 PM »
I doubt the Health Dept will be moved.  Not as long as Scott is in office and cutting funding to everything under God's shining Sun.   

I do however hope the plan does follow through.  Have seen in pictures the efforts of the community on the cleanup of the Creek and cleaning the ballaustrades .. Looks awesome !