Author Topic: San Marco Boulevard: Before & After  (Read 11498 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
San Marco Boulevard: Before & After
« on: June 14, 2011, 05:42:02 AM »
San Marco Boulevard: Before & After

With the first section of San Marco Boulevard's makeover virtually complete, Metro Jacksonville shares before and after photographs of this urban core, pedestrian-friendly commercial district.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-jun-san-marco-boulevard-before-after

Charles Hunter

Re: San Marco Boulevard: Before & After
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 05:58:03 AM »
Nice article, shows the inconvenience of the construction will be worthwhile when all is done. And extending up to Friendship Fountain is a great idea.

vicupstate

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:42:50 AM »
I wish that Jax would use something besides Palms for street trees.  How about something that will provide some SHADE for the pedestrians, and won't look like a telephone pole when it's first planted.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Jdog

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 07:51:05 AM »
I wish that Jax would use something besides Palms for street trees.  How about something that will provide some SHADE for the pedestrians, and won't look like a telephone pole when it's first planted.

+1

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:55:48 AM »
The project looks great and I think the palms are a great idea. Their root structure will not destroy the sidewalks, irrigation or wiring for lights. I also noticed they added the illuminated street signs on the mast arm poles, nice touch.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:49:19 AM »

They want to make sure that visitors know this is 'Where Florida Begins' and not 'Where Georgia Ends'

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 08:50:12 AM »
No seriously I love it.  Great idea about extending to FF.  It seems like common sense all along.  A should/ must be done. 

hightowerlover

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
they could dub the area DUFWBO, down under fuller warren bridge overpass

tg

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 10:13:11 AM »
This looks great! Can't wait to have a bike ride around there.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 03:33:50 PM »
Great article, and great photos. The payoff from all this construction is going to be marvelous.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 03:50:32 PM »

They want to make sure that visitors know this is 'Where Florida Begins' and not 'Where Georgia Ends'

If certain archane legends, recorded in obscure grimoires and coastal biology textbooks, are to be believed, there are palm trees in Georgia too. But maybe they just stole them from Florida. Or at least from midwestern retiree's mental images of Florida. ;)
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

floridaforester

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 09:01:38 PM »
The project looks great and I think the palms are a great idea. Their root structure will not destroy the sidewalks, irrigation or wiring for lights.

I would have to agree with several other posts that palms are pretty useless and we seem obsessed with them around here.  They provide no shade and if not maintained well, provide perfect habitat for vermin. 

There are many types of trees that could be planted that wouldn't destroy sidewalks with their roots.  I think a nice native tree that would actually provide shade, doesn't get huge, has a nice form and interesting bark is the river birch.  We also used to plant gingko trees as well.  Even if its not native, it is a very hardy urban tree and generally doesn't get too big as to cause problems with infrastructure.

duvaldude08

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 09:43:13 PM »
I actually have not problem with the palms trees. But its not just the palms that need the pop sickles sticks when you first them though. I remember when they first planted those tress between Univeristy and Emerson along 95 and they required the same thing.
Jaguars 2.0

Timkin

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 09:47:10 PM »
It looks awesome.   You're right DD .. the "popsicle" sticks are unsightly ,but necessary for the time being.. They will eventually take root and the lumber removed.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 09:48:13 PM »
Looks pretty nice to me. Palms are clean and basically maintenance free. I'd rather see a Palm than a Crape Myrtle another tree that gets planted alot, but no one complains about.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:50:10 PM by Keith-N-Jax »