Author Topic: Elements of Urbanism: Winter Haven  (Read 3282 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Elements of Urbanism: Winter Haven
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:09:44 AM »
Elements of Urbanism: Winter Haven

Metro Jacksonville visits the downtown of a Central Florida city best known for being located near the former Cypress Gardens theme park: Winter Haven.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-jun-elements-of-urbanism-winter-haven

avonjax

Re: Elements of Urbanism: Winter Haven
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:05:40 AM »
They have done a very impressive job down there. Charming town.

duvaldude08

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 09:24:03 AM »
Yes they have. I have friend whose from there and he hates it. He was telling me how dead it is and how there is nothing there, including jobs. And they were hit REALLY hard during the recession. So it is good to see things happening down there. Hopefully things go well.
Jaguars 2.0

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:05:13 AM »
Nice, quaint little town with bigger plans on the table. Maybe Jax can learn something from this small town/city.

HU
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:42:33 AM »
Winter Haven is my home town as well.  They were expecting to get a huge boost from HSR and the Sunrail deals.  A lot of the economic plans they've put together have been put in jeopardy by Rick Scott.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

iMarvin

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 10:51:30 AM »
Stop signs couldn't be used in a big city's downtown. That would lead to major traffic issues.

wsansewjs

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 11:12:37 AM »
All the photos makes it look like.... -cricket chirping-

It is indeed a charming town the last time I have visited. I would only want to visit once or twice in my lifetime. As a young person, I have lack of appeal toward this town because there is not a single thing I can relate myself to the town as a young person.

It is like Kansas City, MO is to Branson, MO as Jacksonville, FL  is to Winter Haven, FL.

At least Winter Haven is being a nice and delightful while Branson is being HELL.

-Josh
"When I take over JTA, the PCT'S will become artificial reefs and thus serve a REAL purpose. - OCKLAWAHA"

"Stephen intends on running for office in the next election (2014)." - Stephen Dare

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 11:20:35 AM »
Stop signs couldn't be used in a big city's downtown. That would lead to major traffic issues.
It really depends on the street. Nevertheless, at this point one could argue that we don't have a "big city" downtown. Josh, I understand where you come from. There is a reason I didn't return after college.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

duvaldude08

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 11:28:09 AM »
Jobs there are very few. My friend that was born and raised their always worked in Orlando, Tampa/St Pete and Lakeland. He never had a job in the city. He actually just moved to St Pete because he found a job there and was tired oc the commute.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:06:25 PM by duvaldude08 »
Jaguars 2.0

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 11:56:24 AM »
To be fair, it's not like the city is isolated. Lakeland is 15 minutes away and a drive to either Tampa or Orlando is less than an hour.  It's quicker to reach those cities than driving crosstown in Jax.

iMarvin

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 12:09:21 PM »
It really depends on the street.

Every street that could use it already has it.

danem

• hoot hoot
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 03:17:03 AM »
I've visited here several times. It's definitely walkable downtown, and has some definite good points. It'll be interesting to see what Legoland does for them.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 06:37:45 AM »
Do you really believe the corners of Lee and Church or Beaver and Clay need traffic signals?

iMarvin

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 07:24:31 AM »
Do you really believe the corners of Lee and Church or Beaver and Clay need traffic signals?

Well no, but I assumed that all of Lee was stop signs. Clay isn't that important either. Wouldn't it cost extra to take the stop lights down?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 07:48:08 AM »
The cost to remove examples like this would be cheaper than maintaining them long term.